Is there just one god for our world??!!

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:21 pm

sduncan1829 wrote:This is a question no one can definitively for you as it's primarily a subjective matter. . .or at least it will be until science decides to seriously investigate it instead of dismissing the idea out of hand as empirically baseless.
If God is defined as a supernatural being, who cannot be detected directly or indirectly by our natural senses, then the idea is "empirically baseless", and so science cannot have anything to say about it.
sduncan1829 wrote: As for who's right and who's wrong - neither and both all at the same time. Right and wrong are terms that are improperly applied to such things. All we can really say is that there are some things we agree with and others we don't, because in the end, no one can put forward incontrovertible proof one way or the other.
This sounds like a load of politically correct B.S. to me. I think you are making a categorical error. Before you bemoaned that science has not, as of yet, researched the question seriously. But that would assume that science could theoretically reach a conclusion. That would make other conclusions wrong! Either there is one God, or there is not. Either God wants us to follow Sharia law, or he does not. Etc. These are statements of fact. They are either right or wrong. Even if the statements are not in principle answerable by us, that does mean that they are "neither and both" right and wrong "all at the same time". At least, not if you believe in logic. Even the positivist theory that such statements are meaningless (which I disagree with) makes more sense.

If you were talking about values, as opposed to facts, I might agree with you. That's why I say I think you're making a categorical error.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:55 am

Lex wrote:This sounds like a load of politically correct B.S. to me.
Much worse than P.C. — this is post-modernism.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:19 pm

sduncan1829 wrote: Your truth is not necessarily my truth, just as mine is not necessarily yours. Anyone claiming to know what the truth is either a liar, a fool, or both.
so are you admitting that your post is not true and can't be?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 pm

calvinist wrote:
sduncan1829 wrote: Your truth is not necessarily my truth, just as mine is not necessarily yours. Anyone claiming to know what the truth is either a liar, a fool, or both.
so are you admitting that your post is not true and can't be?
No way he can know. It is true to him though, but for you and me...?

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 pm

Personally, I still don't know whether any of you actually exist, or are mere hallucations of mind.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Kasper wrote:Personally, I still don't know whether any of you actually exist, or are mere hallucations of mind.
Well, you're ahead of me, because I'm not even sure I exist. Maybe I and I don't all at the same time...
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:25 am

edonnelly wrote:
Kasper wrote:Personally, I still don't know whether any of you actually exist, or are mere hallucations of mind.
Well, you're ahead of me, because I'm not even sure I exist. Maybe I and I don't all at the same time...
Well of course not. While I am still uncertain as to whether you are merely the figment of my imagination, and therefore whether you do or do not exist, how could you, figment my imagination, have any confidence in you're own existence? One would think this is obvious.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:14 am

You aren't, by chance, a fan of Johann Kaspar Schmidt (aka Max Stirner), are you?

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:52 am

I had never heard of the good man prior to your post Lex, but now having had a quick Wikipedia read (how did people know anything prior to the internet?), i would say he seems to be interesting and worthy of further reading.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:29 pm

This whole thread has been just one big monologue, because, of course, none of you exist. It's just me talking to myself. :lol:
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.