Voluptas effluit mea!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Voluptas effluit mea!

Post by benissimus »

I just ordered my super expensive Oxford Latin Dictionary. I am so happy ;D<br /><br />Small print, large pages...<br /><br />It goes on for two pages just about the preposition "AB". It has words that most Romans didn't even know! It is the most complete source for Latin words (even more so than Perseus I think). Does anybody here know what a "phallovitrobolus" is? Or what worries me even more: why did they even need a name for this?<br /><br />Wheeee! I'm euphoric.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Voluptas efluit mea!

Post by mariek »

<br />So you finally did spring for it. Shopping is a high, isn't it! ;D Will we ever see you again? I'm afraid you'll never take your nose out of the Oxford Latin Dictionary once you have received it... <br /><br />You realize we're all jealous... <br /><br />... and we'll probably have to chip in to the Benissimus magnifying glass fund so you don't get all cross-eyed on us. :P<br /><br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hurrah! Congratulations! We're happy for you! (And a tad envious!) <br /><br />Just one other question...do we really want to know what a phallovitrobolus is? ;D<br /><br />Congrats!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I was wondering whether to order that dictionary for myself or not, as I thought I had lost mine. I'd asked my sister again and again to if she'd seen it anywhere, and just when I thought I'd really have to get myself a new one, the long lost dictionarly suddenly reappeares out of nowhere - what a a surprise -... Now I wonder how many other thing are 'lost' in her bedroom?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Beniss: Do tell us what "phallovitrobolus" means when you find out! Do you have any guesses?<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=690;start=0#6556 date=1064325735]<br />and just when I thought I'd really have to get myself a new one, the long lost dictionarly suddenly reappeares out of nowhere [/quote]<br /><br />I can't imagine how one would "lose" such a large book. They only get "borrowed" indefinitely.<br /><br />Hurry hurry ... Amazon(US) shows only 4 left in stock! ;D<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

My trusty Collins Latin Dictionary would smoke your Oxford doll. <br /><br />I bought it 6 months ago; a completely random purchase. It lay there for 4 months and I forgot why I ever bought it. Seriously something pushed me then...It is magic, with grammar in the back.<br /><br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Hmm, my good old Wolters Woordenboek Latin-Dutch, which I bought in 1983...duh, am I that old already :P? <br /><br />I certainly learned a lot of Dutch words when I did Latin at school: the old-fashioned ones that were used to translate one Latin word into one Dutch word. <br /><br />Ingrid

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol, I have to learn all my vocab Greek - German, and they also use really strange old words for the translation, so sometimes I'm just learning the word, but actually have no idea what it means in either Greek or German; and the standard German dictionary isn't like the Oxford English one. It only tells you what the meaning of the word is, if it thinks it isn't obvious. Half the time the words I look up aren't even in it, the other half of the time they don't explain them. Well... I don't really look them up anymore, but I used to. It's much easier just to ask the teacher or a friend.

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lisa »

Hi, all,<br /><br />[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=690;start=0#6517 date=1064296457]<br />It is the most complete source for Latin words (even more so than Perseus I think).[/quote]<br /><br />I believe that the difference is roughly 10,000 words/forms (keep in mind these counts differ based on how one determines a head word/lemma) but that the time frame covered differs. The LS has a broader scope than the OLD, which has (or had) an arbitrary cut off of 200 AD. Interesting to view the old Classics-L archives on the continuous debate as to what the classics community prefers as well as N.S. Gill's opinion on About.com.<br /><br />Certainly, the new OLD is a better option for recently discovered works, and has all of advantages of a recently edited and modernized text. I, too, would probably invest in the OLD over the LS were I faced with the choice. <br /><br />As always,<br />de gustibus non est disputandum<br /><br />Lisa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Welcome to Textkit, Lisa! We're glad to have you here. There are a lot of Perseus fans here. It's one of the best Greek/Latin sites.<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Haha, Lisa seems to have registered 11 days after me. Perhaps she should be greeting you! :D<br /><br />As for "phallovitrobolus", I would hate to destroy the mystery of the word by telling you what it meant!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=690;start=0#6593 date=1064354575]<br />As for "phallovitrobolus", I would hate to destroy the mystery of the word by telling you what it meant!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I did a search on Perseus and discovered this:<br /><br /><br /><br />On second thought... I just deleted the definition I found on Perseus. You guys are welcome to go look it up yourself ... ;)<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

no comment :-X

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Moving on ... so when does this book arrive at your humble abode? Amazon shows you a few sample pages from the dictionary and from what I can tell (because the image isn't very clear and the print is miniscule), the definition for ab goes on for two pages! TWO PAGES! I think this would be a wonderful book to have, but I probably wouldn't want to use it for my daily lookups. It's not exactly a wieldy book! I have the "smaller" 2 volume set of the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, and I've found that I don't refer to it as much as I originally thought I would because it's so unwieldy.<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Voluptas effluit mea!

Post by benissimus »

Well, I kept checking my order status periodically, but then I had to remind myself that it was going to take 14 days.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=6;threadid=690;start=0#6580 date=1064343038]<br />Hmm, my good old Wolters Woordenboek Latin-Dutch, which I bought in 1983...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Really? I was born a year after that. ;)<br /><br />How do you find a word on Perseus? I tried finding that word of yours, Benissimus, but I couldn't get to a dictionary. I think I was just following the wrong links...any advice?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You have to go to Perseus Tools:<br />http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pe ... esource<br /><br />Then find the link for Latin to English or English to Latin.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Ahh, thank you. Much better. I was just on the wrong link, I think. <br /><br />Many thanks!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br /><br />Try the Dictionary Entry Lookup on the URL Beniss gave you.<br />http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Ahh, so that's what it means...thanks to both of you! <br /><br />Interesting. Very interesting.

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=690;start=0#6556 date=1064325735]<br />I was wondering whether to order that dictionary for myself or not, as I thought I had lost mine. I'd asked my sister again and again to if she'd seen it anywhere, and just when I thought I'd really have to get myself a new one, the long lost dictionarly suddenly reappeares out of nowhere - what a a surprise -... Now I wonder how many other thing are 'lost' in her bedroom?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Is she your little sister? Little sisters have a habit of losing things in our rooms-until I got bigger than mom and Keesa I was constantly losing our socks in the wonderfully muddled, comfortable dissaray my room is in. :D

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

The OLD....ahhh....I am truly envious. I will have to stick to Perseus for now, you have to love these wonderful free online sites! (Textkit of course being at the forefront!)<br /><br />If I had say $35-50 (CDN) to spend on a good Latin dictionary that didn't require me taking up weightlifting in my spare (ha!)time, what would be the best choice?<br /><br />Or am I better to save up till I too can look forward to the day of the OLD? Keep in mind I only have the mini collins and oxford dictionaries and the pocket oxford dictionary so far.<br /><br />This will be an awfully long two weeks for you benissimus!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I had asked about dictionaries when I first started learning Latin: <br />viewtopic . php?t=232. Besides the online options, two dictionaries which were recommended were the New College and the Cassell's.<br /><br />I have the New College Latin Dictionary, it's very portable. The next one I want to get is Cassell's for keeping at home.<br /><br />

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

ah thanks so much! It is so much easier asking people on textkit rather than having to research it yourself too. Lazy perhaps but taking advantage of others knowledge is never so imo.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=MDS link=board=6;threadid=690;start=15#6665 date=1064373072]<br />The OLD....ahhh....I am truly envious. I will have to stick to Perseus for now, you have to love these wonderful free online sites! (Textkit of course being at the forefront!)<br /><br />If I had say $35-50 (CDN) to spend on a good Latin dictionary that didn't require me taking up weightlifting in my spare (ha!)time, what would be the best choice?<br /><br />Or am I better to save up till I too can look forward to the day of the OLD? Keep in mind I only have the mini collins and oxford dictionaries and the pocket oxford dictionary so far.<br /><br />This will be an awfully long two weeks for you benissimus!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thank you so much, your envy gives me the strength I need to endure these long days ahead of me. If you don't have an extra $300 (American) lying around, then there are several good dictionaries to invest in. As always, I recommend Cassel's Latin Dictionary, but there are many other fine references. The ones you have should serve you well, but most of them are prone to various forms of omission and censorship that can only be avoided by a more conclusive reference (OLD being the most conclusive).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Uh oh... Beniss is turning into a dictionary snob! :o Sigh... if only we could all afford $300 dictionaries...

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Considering that this is a thread about dictionaries, I thought it prudent to advertise a bit :P<br /><br />I never called you a t-shirt snob!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=690;start=15#6705 date=1064385567]<br />Considering that this is a thread about dictionaries, I thought it prudent to advertise a bit :P<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Make sure to remind everyone to use the Support Textkit Amazon redirect. ;)<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yes, do that! Give Textkit the rewards it deserves! :D

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Is she your little sister? Little sisters have a habit of losing things in our rooms-until I got bigger than mom and Keesa I was constantly losing our socks in the wonderfully muddled, comfortable dissaray my room is in. <br /><br />Yes, she is my little sister... but not that little, only a year younger and she's much better at Latin than I am. She's so good she doesn't really need the lexicon and so couldn't be bothered to look for it at all ;).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Who invented younger sisters with messy rooms, anyway? ;)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well, my rooms probably just as messy as her's is, only with the difference that I know where all my books are - on the floor, so none can get lost.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=690;start=30#6858 date=1064522518]<br />Well, my rooms probably just as messy as her's is, only with the difference that I know where all my books are - on the floor, so none can get lost.<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :P<br /><br />Mine are on shelves. Note the plural-shelves. Not, of course, that they don't still get lost! But usually only the smaller ones get lost...never the dictionaries.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

See - look - my post rate is slower during school time by far. And thus also is my latin progress. I say this as I see Keesa's and others' post counts surpass that of me.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Whoa, I may come up to the top once again! 8)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Not with Kessa around ;).<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

:P<br /><br />Very funny. Don't worry, Benissimus; I should be going on vacation for six weeks sometimes this winter, and I may or may not have Internet access.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

O di immortales! It has arrived and it only took 4 days!!!!! Sorry guys, I'm going into scholarly seclusion for an indefinite period of time :P

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

oh, congrats! let us know how it turns out! :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus