What's the interrogative for numerical order?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

What's the interrogative for numerical order?

Post by mingshey »

How do you ask a question when you want to know the numerical order of something in a sequence or succession, in English, and in Greek?

In my native tongue we use the same ending for ordinal at the end of the word that corresponds to "how many". For example "How-many-th son are you?" or "How-many-th president is Lincoln?". But I have never heard of a general question word for asking such a thing in English, or in Greek.

"ποσό-τος(?) βασιλεῦς ?στιν ? Ἀγαμέμνων;"
"τέτα?τός ?στιν."

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

In English you can say 'which in order', though that sounds stilted. 'Which' works too, I guess. There is no word that fills the gap precisely. I don't know about Greek.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: What's the interrogative for numerical order?

Post by annis »

mingshey wrote:How do you ask a question when you want to know the numerical order of something in a sequence or succession, in English, and in Greek?
Greek, of course, does have this. :) You almost got it: πόστος.

I'm disappointed in Smyth for this. He should say something about this word in his section on numerals, I'd think. I had to resort to Kühner.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Great thanks! I'm happy to learn that Greek has the word for it. :D

But it doesn't sem to be retained in Modern Greek. Or had some other word taken its place? Or it's almost out of use that the editors held it from the dictionary?

-----------

I understand that in English you don't ask much about order of something, or you must have invented -- or retained -- some simple word for it.

I first thought of "what -- by order", but "by order" meant a totally different thing. "-- by sequence" or "-- by succession" sounded something remote.

So,
"Which president in order is Lincoln?"
would be okay for that?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

The how-many-eth president is Lincoln?

Everyone would understand it but I would not call it book English.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I see. Browsing my German dictionary I found that in German they say "wievielte" or "wievielste(expecting more than 20)", literally meaning "how-many-eth". I wonder if there wasn't an Anglo-Saxon equivalent?

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

In modern Greek one has to be more descriptive when asking the numerical order. Like Ποιας διαδοχής είναι, ποιας κατάταξης.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

In Dutch we can say 'hoeveelste' as in German. I've always considered it a lack in the language of the English, who have more different numbers than names as it comes to kings, that you can't easily say: Henry the so-many-eth (Henry de zoveelste) when you're not sure which of the eight it is.

Checking my English history ruler:
William I-IV
Henry I-VIII
Stephen (just one)
Richard I-III
John (also just one)
Edward I-VII
James I-II
Charles I-II
George I-VI

OK, I admit, 9 names, up to number 8...

Ingrid