A pink book, Classics related? I need one.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Scribo
Global Moderator

A pink book, Classics related? I need one.

Post by Scribo »

Ok, that title sounds insipid, sorry. Regardless, I'm after a book with a pink or purple jacket, not ridiculously expensive and ideally Classics related.

Whosoever finds me one, shall have my eternal gratitude. :)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: A pink book, Classics related? I need one.

Post by annis »

Scribo wrote:Ok, that title sounds insipid, sorry. Regardless, I'm after a book with a pink or purple jacket, not ridiculously expensive and ideally Classics related.
In Greek or Latin? The Cambridge Imperial Library series uses purple instead of green-n-gold. They are a little pricey, but not ridiculously so.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

annis wrote:
Scribo wrote:Ok, that title sounds insipid, sorry. Regardless, I'm after a book with a pink or purple jacket, not ridiculously expensive and ideally Classics related.
In Greek or Latin? The Cambridge Imperial Library series uses purple instead of green-n-gold. They are a little pricey, but not ridiculously so.
Hmm the person it's for is much better at Greek than Latin, though I wouldn't mind if it was in English. Thanks Annis.

EDIT: Not to say I don't welcome more suggestions guys. :wink:

darodalaf
Textkit Neophyte

Post by darodalaf »

Latin: First Year by Rober Henle. Pink

http://www.amazon.com/Latin-1st-Year-He ... 730&sr=8-1

daro

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Fifty Letters of Pliny edited by A. N. Sherwin-White; the spine and back are completely pink:

http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Letters-Pli ... 199120102/

Edit: Though the text is only in Latin, without English translation, so I guess it's not really what you want.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Pharr's paperback Aeneid is pretty purple...
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Why not get a nice pdf file of a classical work (I might suggest the most astoundingly-beautiful work done by textkit's own Mingshey: Euclid's Elements, which he graciously released into the public domain), and upload it to a self publishing place like Lulu, which will do single printings? You can design your own, personalized cover with whatever you want in terms of imaging, color, text, hard vs. soft cover, etc. and you only have to pay the price of printing and shipping which I would bet would be less than $40 for the whole thing. Now that would make a wonderful gift, I would think.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Of all topics, this one most certainly isn't insipid. Curious I would say.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

edonnelly wrote:Why not get a nice pdf file of a classical work (I might suggest the most astoundingly-beautiful work done by textkit's own Mingshey: Euclid's Elements, which he graciously released into the public domain), and upload it to a self publishing place like Lulu, which will do single printings? You can design your own, personalized cover with whatever you want in terms of imaging, color, text, hard vs. soft cover, etc. and you only have to pay the price of printing and shipping which I would bet would be less than $40 for the whole thing. Now that would make a wonderful gift, I would think.
As for the "Elements", it's already on Lulu, but unfortunately for Alatio I put it there with a dark blue cover. And there's a more wonderful work(*) by Richard Fitzpatrick. He made it bilingual and put a vocab list at the end. His work even contains references to related theorems and definitions, etc.. It's free to download as well.
The advantage of my work is only the precision of drawings, which makes in most cases almost unnoticeable differences.

[edit]
This site provides Heiberg's 'reference' edition they somehow found at Google Books.. Had I had access to this work years ago, I wouldn't have thought of making my own edition from the start. And I've posted the link to a manuscript from 888 AD on the "Outside Links Of Interest" forum.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Bert wrote:

Of all topics, this one most certainly isn't insipid. Curious I would say.
Heh, I'm glad you think so. ^.^
Deses wrote:Pharr's paperback Aeneid is pretty purple...
Actually...that is something, not in Greek, and English is not the recipients first language, but still, who can fail to benefit from reading the Aeneid?
edonnelly wrote:Why not get a nice pdf file of a classical work (I might suggest the most astoundingly-beautiful work done by textkit's own Mingshey: Euclid's Elements, which he graciously released into the public domain), and upload it to a self publishing place like Lulu, which will do single printings? You can design your own, personalized cover with whatever you want in terms of imaging, color, text, hard vs. soft cover, etc. and you only have to pay the price of printing and shipping which I would bet would be less than $40 for the whole thing. Now that would make a wonderful gift, I would think.
Spiffing idea actually, though it looks rather...complicated in terms of formating etc. Cheers for that.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

!! I wonder if I can find "Pausanius' Guide to Ancient Greece" in purple or pink.