Verify translations 3

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Boban
Textkit Member

Verify translations 3

Post by Boban »

1) Gilt equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius was located on Capitol.
Aureus equestris effigies Marci Aureli in Capitolio invenit.

2) Friend owes to friend confidence both in good and in evil.
Amicus amici in secundis re et in adversis re fidem debuit.

Maybe there is better translation of: "both in good and in evil"

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Verify translations 3

Post by thesaurus »

Boban wrote:1) Gilt equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius was located on Capitol.
Instead of "invenit" which means "to find, discover," I'd use "locata erat," which is the perfect passive form of "locare," "to station, locate."

Make sure to check your case endings. "to a friend" should be "amico," "amici" is genitive singular or nominative plural. Also, since "secundis" and "adversis" are plural, "re" should be "rebus". I think your translation of good and evil is a good one. "Debuit" is the perfect tense, and I would use "debet" for the present. You could probably use "rebus" once and have "et in secundis et in adversis rebus."

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

Effigies is feminine.

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

thesaurus wrote:
Boban wrote:1) Gilt equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius was located on Capitol.
Instead of "invenit" which means "to find, discover," I'd use "locata erat," which is the perfect passive form of "locare," "to station, locate."

Make sure to check your case endings. "to a friend" should be "amico," "amici" is genitive singular or nominative plural. Also, since "secundis" and "adversis" are plural, "re" should be "rebus". I think your translation of good and evil is a good one. "Debuit" is the perfect tense, and I would use "debet" for the present. You could probably use "rebus" once and have "et in secundis et in adversis rebus."
1) I agree.
2) "amici" was typo; thanks for clarifying me "res", I didn't notice, it should be "rebus"; "et in secundis et in adversis rebus" is slightly better.

Thanks for help.

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

Twpsyn wrote:Effigies is feminine.
Yes, it is.
It should be:
Aurea equestris effigies Marci Aureli in Capitolio invenit.

Thanks, I wasn't patient when I was writing those translations. :oops:

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

thesaurus wrote: "Debuit" is the perfect tense, and I would use "debet" for the present. You could probably use "rebus" once and have "et in secundis et in adversis rebus."
Gnomic perfect, in analogy with Greek gnomic aorist, is found among the poets, according to Madvig. I do not know whether this applies to the sentence in question.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Bob,

Is it necessary to make a new thread every time you want to ask about translations? Your requests for help with translations are so frequent, that it seems like it may be better just to stick to one thread.
Also, if you wish to look back at them later on, it may be easier if they are all in one thread instead of scattered among many. Just a suggestion.<pre></pre>

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

Essorant wrote:Bob,

Is it necessary to make a new thread every time you want to ask about translations? Your requests for help with translations are so frequent, that it seems like it may be better just to stick to one thread.
Also, if you wish to look back at them later on, it may be easier if they are all in one thread instead of scattered among many. Just a suggestion.<pre></pre>
I thought about that, but if I hold it in only one thread, then thread will become so big that I couldn't find anything, and also people will start to reply on random posts (translations help) that I will lose track of what is what.
If you don't mind, this way is better for me, I only numerate topics for translations so I can know order of them.

Cato
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cato »

Aurea equestris effigies Marci Aureli in Capitolio invenit.
Perhaps inveniebatur...