key to higher school certificate Latin Prose

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

key to higher school certificate Latin Prose

Post by vir litterarum »

I have scoured literally the entire internet, even going so far as to ask the publisher themselves and look in Library of Congress's catalog, in order to find this book to no avail. Does anyone where I could locate a copy?

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: key to higher school certificate Latin Prose

Post by Patruus »

vir litterarum wrote:I have scoured literally the entire internet, even going so far as to ask the publisher themselves and look in Library of Congress's catalog, in order to find this book to no avail. Does anyone where I could locate a copy?
Ecce: http://tinyurl.com/6z5jck

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

May 1. Am on the point of admitting that I own a copy of the Nash-Williams Key (in book form) and am just testing out my scanware when ...

Patruus does it again! (He's earlier provided links to various Bradley's Arnold keys).

Now a Key I myself have been scouring for in vain :cry: is the Key to Baker and Inglis 'High School Course in Latin Composition', copyright 1909 (though my book's dated 1946).

Anyone have any idea where I might find THAT key?

Cheers,
Int

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

I cannot express how grateful I am to you for this. I searched every out-of-print and rare book dealer online I could think of and still couldn't locate this key. I am dumbfounded as to why Nash-Williams' prose composition textbook is kept in print by Bristol Classical Press while the key seemingly vanishes into thin air. Once again my sincerest thanks. Without your assistance, I would be another Apuleius: "...advena studiorum Quiritum indigenam sermonem aerumnabili labore, nullo magistro praeeunte, aggressus excolui."

Many thanks once again.

Brian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brian »

Congratulations on finding this key. I know your frustrations. I have been trying to find the Keys to Elementary Greek Exercises and Elementary Latin Exercises both by Hillard. No luck. I will keep looking.

Brian

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

It truly is a paedagogical tragedy that these materials aren't more readily available to students. The Classics community as a whole in my opinion needs to stop foolishly scorning prose composition and once again make it an intrinsic element of the Latin and Greek student's education.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Brian:

I have a copy of the 'Key to Elementary Latin Exercises' by Hillard and Botting (1925). My scanning capabilities are limited at present but if you pm me your address I could mail you paper printouts (at least in a few days' time when I get back from a visit to the country).

Perhaps you could turn my paper copies into pdf files and upload them somewhere where they could be reached by Edonnelly's G'Oogle? (Just a thought ...) http://www.edonnelly.com/google.html

Once upon a time I sent a paper copy of the Key to D'Ooge's 'Elements of Latin' to the Textkit Wizard of Oz hoping it'd be made available to Texkit neophytes. Hopes dashed. :( That small volume might also be a useful addition to the G'Oogle Latin Books with Keys.

As for that Greek key, I'm tempted to say dream on. Though I hear they recently found the missing Romanovs. :P

Cheers,
Int

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Interaxus wrote:Brian:

I have a copy of the 'Key to Elementary Latin Exercises' by Hillard and Botting (1925). My scanning capabilities are limited at present but if you pm me your address I could mail you paper printouts (at least in a few days' time when I get back from a visit to the country).
This Key is one of the batch I did before, and is now stabled here - http://tinyurl.com/67zwzv

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:

Stupid of me. In fact I downloaded your 'Botting' file some time ago - it's just that I copied it to a local directory named 'Botting'. I should of course have put it under 'North and Hillard' where I would be likely to look for it.

So Brian, one down and one to go.

Edonnelly (if you read this): Could you include links to other less conventional sources in your superb catalogue such as those in Patruus' small but brilliant collection?

Incidentally, Patruus, do you make the pdf's yourself or do you 'just' (no offence intended) find them somewhere? I mean, if you could get hold of those 'Elements of Latin' paper copies from Jeff ... or if I made a whole new set of printouts ...

Cheers,
Int

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Interaxus wrote:Patruus:

Incidentally, Patruus, do you make the pdf's yourself or do you 'just' (no offence intended) find them somewhere? I mean, if you could get hold of those 'Elements of Latin' paper copies from Jeff ... or if I made a whole new set of printouts ...
Yes. I scanned them and PDF'd them myself using OmniPage Pro (except for the Bennett where I merely PDF'd the page-images sent me by someone else). I always scan at 300 dpi for optimum OCR.

I also have the Baker & Inglis Key and hope to get that done in the next few days.

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

I also have the Baker & Inglis Key and hope to get that done in the next few days.
Wow! Can't wait. Will you announce it on this thread when it's ready ?

Should I send you fresh printouts of the Key to Elements of Latin? The actual course is on the G'Oogle list. Or are there limits to even your time and patience?

Cheers,
Int

Brian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brian »

Patruus and Friends

Thank you so much for the information. It is amazing what can be accomplished with and sharing and cooperation. Patruus I did try that link you provided above, but I received a "file not available" message. Is there something wrong at my end?

thanks again for the support

Brian

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Brian wrote:Patruus and Friends

Thank you so much for the information. It is amazing what can be accomplished with and sharing and cooperation. Patruus I did try that link you provided above, but I received a "file not available" message. Is there something wrong at my end?

thanks again for the support

Brian
Sorry, I made the mistake of renaming the file without it occurring to me that this would invalidate the link. (Doh!)

Here's the new link: http://tinyurl.com/6kz7ys

It should be alright, but let me know if not.

Patruus

Brian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brian »

Patruus

Everything was perfect. Key to Elementary Latin Exercises successfully downloaded.

Gratias ago

Brian

Brian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brian »

Interaxus

Thanks for your interest and support. I now have that Key to the Latin Exercises. The Greek Key may be even tougher to find. As you say: "One down and one to go". I will keep an eye on this thread and others. Maybe I will be able to track down some other keys.

Brian

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Interaxus wrote:
Wow! Can't wait. Will you announce it on this thread when it's ready ?

Should I send you fresh printouts of the Key to Elements of Latin? The actual course is on the G'Oogle list. Or are there limits to even your time and patience?

Cheers,
Int
I've just added Baker & Inglis to my updated Keys index:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcvskh4m_40dgbvmdhj

Conspicuous by its absence from this index is the Key to Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom" - another example of a textbook that's in print but the Key's gone MIA, though WorldCat has an entry for it:
http://worldcat.org/oclc/15621169

How many pages are there in the Elements of Latin Key?

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:

Thanks a million! Just downloaded the Baker and Inglis Key and romped through the first exercise as a test - speaking my own answers aloud as I did them and then reading the answers out loud. No writing. Fast way to internalize vocab and structures. :D

The Key to Elements of Latin has 68 pages, which, together with the title page, makes 36 paper copies.

As an alternative to snail mail, I could fax my copies to you if you have access to anything so antiquated as a fax machine.

Cheers,
Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:

Printouts of the 'Key to Elements of Latin' are in the post. You should receive them within a week.

Your collection of Latin keys is an autodidact's dream! :D

Cheers,
Int

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Printouts of the 'Key to Elements of Latin' are in the post. You should receive them within a week.

Your collection of Latin keys is an autodidact's dream! :D

Cheers,
Int
Sanctam Vaccam! --- Brevissimam hebdomadum brevium!!

http://tinyurl.com/3udlkp

Patruus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:

You're pretty quick yourself! Fulmen unctum? 8)

Cheers,
Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Patruus:
Conspicuous by its absence from this index is the Key to Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom" - another example of a textbook that's in print but the Key's gone MIA, though WorldCat has an entry for it
Following your WorldCat tip, I got my Stockholm library to loan it from a US library and it's now a scanned and printed-out heap of 46 sheets which I plan to take the liberty of mailing to you tomorrow. Just in case you are still in your charitable Omnipage Pro / uploading mode. :)

Cheers,
Int

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Conspicuous by its absence from this index is the Key to Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom" - another example of a textbook that's in print but the Key's gone MIA, though WorldCat has an entry for it
Following your WorldCat tip, I got my Stockholm library to loan it from a US library and it's now a scanned and printed-out heap of 46 sheets which I plan to take the liberty of mailing to you tomorrow. Just in case you are still in your charitable Omnipage Pro / uploading mode. :)

Cheers,
Int
Wonderful! The textbook seems to be pitched at about the same level as North & Hillard, with plenty of exercises but much more explanation. It's only the absence of the Key which has deterred me from using it.

Patruus

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

The Colebourn key is now posted here:
http://cid-7c51d883593d5954.skydrive.li ... urnKey.pdf

The textbook itself is purchasable at the usual places, e.g.: http://tinyurl.com/3w8kba

Patruus

ngourlay
Textkit Neophyte

Re: key to higher school certificate Latin Prose

Post by ngourlay »

This is a very old thread, but it mentions the difficulties of finding an answer key to Elementary Greek Exercices by Hillard and Botting. I've just published the key, and it should appear on the booksellers' websites in a few days. The ISBN is 978-981-11-5005-0, and the title is simply: "Key to Hillard and Botting's Elementary Greek Exercises."

The book is published under a Creative Commons non-commercial license, and I've emailed a PDF to Jeff Tirey, who I hope will find a place for it on this site.

Best wishes

Nigel