Dear Jeff

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Dear Jeff

Post by benissimus »

If I work on getting the Oxford Latin Dictionary into public domain, will you scan it? ??? I really want it, but it costs a fortune, $300 US :'(
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Dear Jeff

Post by Keesa »

How can you "get a text into public domain"? I thought only time could do that? <br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I have connections. <br /><br /><br />(Just kidding by the way)<br /><br />(Except about that part that I want it badly)<br /><br />*drools* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... =glance<br /><br />I have this in my favorite places under a category called "Wishlist" of which it is the only entry ;o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I've given up checking Amazon for the moment...I keep on finding too many things that I want and can't afford! <br /><br />Keesa

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

that's a nice one indeed. but sadly it'll have to wait - looks like it's the library for you! ;)
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

When will it be out of copyright?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

About 100 years :'(

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

1924 copyrights move to public domain in 2019.
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Take heart, Benissimus...only sixteen more years to wait! <br /><br />I'm sure it feels like 100...

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

The OLD was finished in 1982, so it will not be out of copyright in our lifetimes. It's too bad there's no online version, like the www.oed.com

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

The situation is no better than the time of Plato. A footnote says a hand-copy of one of the masterpieces of Archimedes costed three mens pay for a day. I cannot guess how much it is, but judging from todays work-pay I think it's about a few hundred bucks. With all the improvements in printing technology the cost got down only a tiny bit.<br /><br />But well, sixteen years, that's shorter than the interval from the time I bought my first greek grammar book until I found out textkit. 8)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Alundis link=board=6;threadid=616;start=0#5735 date=1063242937]<br />The OLD was finished in 1982, so it will not be out of copyright in our lifetimes. It's too bad there's no online version, like the www.oed.com <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hmm...yes, that might be a little too long to wait. Perhaps you should start saving up. ;)<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I don't have a job! Maybe some generous relative or textkit member ;) will buy me that for Xmas!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Tutor kids in Latin. You can just show them your icon on Textkit whenever they misbehave. ;) ;D

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

I had similar thoughts about the Greek grammar of Kühner and Gerth. It would be wonderful if it was available at textkit, since it is one of the best greek grammars you can get...but I have no idea about the copyright...it was finished in the end of 19th century ???

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong...I get this mixed up all the time. The 19th century is the 1800s, right? In that case, it should be out of copyright and into the public domain. <br /><br />(I really must remember these nineteenth century things...)<br /><br />Keesa

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

The 19th century is the 1800s, right? In that case, it should be out of copyright and into the public domain.
<br />That would be great. I just searched the internet and found out, that you can buy an "unchanged reprint" of the third edition of 1890/92 and 1898/1904. But it costs a fortune (245 Euro) and it has 2677 pages... :o

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'm looking for this grammar. I think it's worth the few hundred books to get it converted AND i can always re-sell the book, so I'm not really out that much money.
Textkit Founder

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hmm... I do need a new Latin dictonary, as I've lost mine... (or my sister has).<br />But more importantly I need an English-Greek one, but the one at amazone costs a lot. It happens to be the same one I use at school (except the one at school is probably a 40 years or so older...).<br />Need money, must not spend it on vodka tomorrow... :'(

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=616;start=15#5836 date=1063312266]<br />Hmm... I do need a new Latin dictonary, as I've lost mine... (or my sister has).<br />But more importantly I need an English-Greek one, but the one at amazone costs a lot. [/quote]<br /><br />The Greek-English Liddell is indeed quite expensive. But why not try the middle Liddell which is more affordable.<br /><br />I have seen used ex-libre copies sell on Ebay for as low as $1 dollar. Even with International shipping it's a deal.<br /><br />jeff <br /><br />
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Clemens link=board=6;threadid=616;start=15#5790 date=1063286937]I just searched the internet and found out, that you can buy an "unchanged reprint" of the third edition of 1890/92 and 1898/1904. But it costs a fortune (245 Euro) and it has 2677 pages... :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />2677 pages? :o I wonder how long it would take Jeff to scan so many pages. And how large would the PDF file be?

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=616;start=15#5792 date=1063288510]<br />I'm looking for this grammar. I think it's worth the few hundred books to get it converted AND i can always re-sell the book, so I'm not really out that much money.<br />[/quote]<br />Wow, that would be great... :)<br />(You could order it directly on the website of the publishing house, but I think international shipping would be rather expensive...) :(

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Wow! Is e-bay really that cheap?!<br />(BTW, I now have spent my money on vodka :-\... but 1 dollar? ... think I still have that much left ;) ).

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=616;start=15#5891 date=1063371350]<br />Wow! Is e-bay really that cheap?!<br />(BTW, I now have spent my money on vodka :-\... but 1 dollar? ... think I still have that much left ;) ).<br />[/quote]<br />Sometimes it is. You just have to commit yourself to a long-term search in order to find a good deal. One nice thing they have is a search feature that will email you results. So you can save a search for a very specific item that doesn't come up much and it'll email you if it does.<br /><br />Some books on ebay are never cheap :-( Expect to pay a fair price for any Loeb, Smyth's Greek Grammar and Goodwin's Moods and Tenses - there's just too much demand for them by knowledgeable buyers who know their value.<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Some books on ebay are never cheap :-( ...
<br />It is pretty much the same with the Gemoll. I have seen lots of auctions at ebay.de and it was never under 20 Euro...<br /><br />
I wonder how long it would take Jeff to scan so many pages. And how large would the PDF file be?
<br />That's a good question... :o<br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I wonder how long it would take Jeff to scan so many pages. And how large would the PDF file be?
<br />
<br /><br />Scanning is never a problem. I have a production scanner that can do 45 pages per minute. PHOTOCOPYING the book in order to get it through the scanner's sheet feeder does take time. Digitial cleaning where I remove photocopy marks, remove book markings, deskew. etc. also takes time. It's a tiresome process that's rather boring but very rewarding once the book is complete.
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=616;start=15#5851 date=1063319882]<br />The Greek-English Liddell is indeed quite expensive. But why not try the middle Liddell which is more affordable.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I got my middle liddell for $50CDN. It's a fantastic book, very helpful.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

that's great! - it should serve you well.
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I'm so glad my little nonsensical, sleep-deprived thread turned into something interesting and productive! :D

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

>>where I remove photocopy marks, remove book markings, deskew. etc.<<<br /><br />What is deskew?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

the stuff on your desk that gets stuck to the book and makes you say, "ewwwww" ?<br /><br />:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Deskewing is just setting it straight... like if it gets photocopied at an angle, you 'rotate' the text so that it's parallel to the top and bottom edges of the page again.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thank you.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

oh! so it's de-skewing<br /><br />i was thinking desk-ewing <br /><br />:)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=616;start=0#5712 date=1063235394]<br />If I work on getting the Oxford Latin Dictionary into public domain, will you scan it? ??? I really want it, but it costs a fortune, $300 US :'(<br />[/quote]<br />I just saw OLD on eBay, starting bid is $150. If you pick it up from eBay for $150 or so, you'll still have money left over to buy other Latin books from Amazon -- with the Textkit redirect, of course :) -- that is, assuming you were willing to part with $300 to begin with...

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I would be willing... but first I need to resale all of the books I currently have.<br /><br />My big assumption with acquiring textbooks is that I can always resell them and hopefully to Textkit visitors.<br /><br />So pretty soon, I need to have a "Sale of the Century" literally. Almost all the books are up for grabs.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Make a list. I'll go out and find a job... :)<br /><br />Old books are my favorite kinds.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I put a post in a separate area asking for the list of Work in Progress on the book scanning and possible dates of the next post but it might be better to ask in this thread. I know Jeff posted a list of books he was working on some time ago but I can't find it. I don't need it for a reason - just like to know what to wait for! <br />I think Jeff said he was going to start posting some of the Loeb books - I used one in the library the other day and they are really good, but quite expensive considering some of them are years old and the publishers would have recouped all their costs many years ago (and the new ones are only in paperback)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I would also be interested in seeing that list. Are there any good Latin readers for easy level? Most of the Latin readers there now seem to be more for intermediates. (And that I am not! ;D) <br /><br />Keesa

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=616;start=30#6152 date=1063754458]<br />I would also be interested in seeing that list. Are there any good Latin readers for easy level? Most of the Latin readers there now seem to be more for intermediates. (And that I am not! ;D) <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, I asked about this some time ago and there wasn't much around. There is a very good little book at http://www.cwru.edu/UL/preserve/stack/Helps.html which gives some help with sight translation, although the quality of scanning is way below Jeff's work. I have probably progressed to the intermediate level now, but it would have been a lot easier if I had had access to more simple readers.