fonts for ancient Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Stoic
Textkit Neophyte

fonts for ancient Greek

Post by Stoic »

I'm a beginner here, and I know almost nothing about fonts and typefaces. I use a Mac, and for many years used Palatino as my default typeface. But when I started studying Greek, someone suggested that I get something like "Georgia", which seemed to be able to produce all the accents, etc., necessary for Greek characters.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good advice on this topic?

Thanks.

Arvid
Textkit Member

Post by Arvid »

I have a Mac, too, and I've tried every font that comes with it. I find that Lucida Grande is the only one that can display polytonic Greek correctly. Some others come close, but there'll still be a box here and there, and some letters will be in different sizes and bolder than the others. Problem is, it's a sans-serif font when displaying Roman, and I'm not crazy about it. So I switch back and forth between that and Times New Roman. It's annoying, but it only takes a few seconds. Lucida Grande looks pretty good in Greek, except that it has that tilde-shaped circumflex accent--who invented that?

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Re: fonts for ancient Greek

Post by perispomenon »

Stoic wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of some good advice on this topic?
Have a look at the page for this particular forum 'Learning Greek'. There is a sticky thread about the subject: 'Representing Greek - Font Notes for New Users'

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

You can get the Gentium font at http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... m_download

There is also many other nice fonts at http://www.greekfontsociety.org/pages/e ... aces1.html

These should solve many of your problems.

Stoic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Stoic »

Thanks to all of you. I've downloaded and installed Gentium and GentiumAlt, and it looks very nice.