Perseus Problems

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kopio
Global Moderator

Perseus Problems

Post by Kopio »

Hello All,

Is anyone else having problems with Perseus? I use the morph tool for Greek quite a bit, but it hasn't worked for quite some time.

I've tried to check out the 4.0 site, but it doesn't look like they have a morph tool up and running yet. Any suggestions (other than parse it yourself) would be warmly received.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Perseus Problems

Post by mingshey »

Kopio wrote:Hello All,

Is anyone else having problems with Perseus? I use the morph tool for Greek quite a bit, but it hasn't worked for quite some time.

I've tried to check out the 4.0 site, but it doesn't look like they have a morph tool up and running yet. Any suggestions (other than parse it yourself) would be warmly received.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/mo ... lang=greek

This seems to work for me now.
At least you could try again on it.
Perseus 4.0 wouldn't work for me either. Regular maintenance? :roll:

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Yeah...still not working for me. I typed in LUEIN...it should be able to parse that if it can parse anything....but no results for me.

Maybe I need the same kind of direction you've been getting...where's Ago when I need him.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Kopio wrote:Yeah...still not working for me. I typed in LUEIN...
present active infinitive of λύω. Just kidding. (Well, I am not kidding about the parsing but about giving you the parsing.)
When I tried it I found that you have to have the accent. It used to be that it would first try the way it was entered and then ignore the accent. So if you did not enter an accent or entered it wrong, it would still come up with an answer. Not now. For convenience sake do you leave the accent off?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I love you guys :)

It's the accent that I've been missing. I almost never put in accents, especially since I'm working off of an Uncial MSS, I usually just cut and past the word I'm looking for.

You have no idea how happy you have just made me! I'm doing a little happy jig right now (and it looks kinda freaky since I'm in my boxers and a wife beater).

Thanks a ton,
--Matt

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Kopio wrote: I'm doing a little happy jig right now (and it looks kinda freaky since I'm in my boxers and a wife beater).

--Matt
I'll try not to get a mental picture of this. :) But...What in the world is a wife beater. I am certain you are not speaking about yourself.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:I'll try not to get a mental picture of this.
My mind, on the other hand, is all too visual.

By "wife beater" he means a sleeveless undershirt.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Bert wrote:I'll try not to get a mental picture of this. :) But...What in the world is a wife beater. I am certain you are not speaking about yourself.
No, I am not a wife beater! Matter of fact I brought my wife flowers today just because. A wife beater is this. It is a undershirt, a really thin tank top that you wear under a dress shirt. They are very popular with the trailer court/Jerry Springer crowd as outer wear. I never wear them as outerwear unless I am lounging around the house, or in my pj's.

BTW...I'm still having problems with Perseus, even with accents. It doesn't seem to want to parse all the tough words like a)kou/esthai. It just doesn't like me as much as it used to I guess

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Perseus Problems

Post by Gonzalo »

Kopio wrote:Hello All,

I have not any problem with Perseus Project but I have just read from Vicipaedia:

Miserabile dictu, Perseus recenter vulneratus est ab illis nefariosis hominibus qui lingua Anglica "hackers" denominantur atque difficilis accessu iam constat.

Kopio, are you still getting those troubles?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Kopio wrote: BTW...I'm still having problems with Perseus, even with accents. It doesn't seem to want to parse all the tough words like a)kou/esthai. It just doesn't like me as much as it used to I guess
In this case it might be a transliteration problem. Instead of 'th' try 'q.'