Hi everyone, new person here!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Artemis of Ephesus
Textkit Neophyte

Hi everyone, new person here!

Post by Artemis of Ephesus »

Hello,

I found this site by chance just now and it's enthralled me from the start - I've wanted to learn Latin since last year (when I dabbled a bit in the language but stopped) but where I live it's so difficult to learn anything...

Anyway, my name is Jo, I'm 15 and from NSW in Australia. I like reading and writing, ancient history and languages, (if I didn't I wouldn't be here) mythology, more history, science, etc. At the moment we're studying Rome in Ancient History at school and it's what sparked me to start Latin again. You might think it's strange for there to be a 15-year-old here wanting to learn a (dead) language, but that's just me.

Oh, and I have a cat. Her name's Sekhmet, and she's the most adorable cat in the world.

Valete!

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Nice! and Egyptian name?

Not strange at all! I was tutoring Latin to a 15 year old this summer. I just gave her Lingua Latina last week (which if you haven't heard, it's right here: http://www.lingua-latina.dk -- I think it's the best book available for learning Latin; you'll find my praise for it all over this forum for the past two years).
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hi everyone, new person here!

Post by annis »

Artemis of Ephesus wrote:You might think it's strange for there to be a 15-year-old here wanting to learn a (dead) language,
It isn't strange here.

Welcome to Textkit.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hi everyone, new person here!

Post by Bert »

Artemis of Ephesus wrote: You might think it's strange for there to be a 15-year-old here wanting to learn a (dead) language, ....
Not strange. Oh how I wish I had started with Greek when I was 15.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

You are lucky you are fifteen now rather than 20 years ago. I wanted to learn the 'dead' languages since I was about fifteen. I tried then to learn Biblical Hebrew. And Greek and Latin too. Then I had little resource more than 20-some years ago. Now thanks to internet and contributions from so many people out there I can now begin to realize the dream. 8)

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS »

mingshey wrote:You are lucky you are fifteen now rather than 20 years ago. I wanted to learn the 'dead' languages since I was about fifteen. I tried then to learn Biblical Hebrew. And Greek and Latin too. Then I had little resource more than 20-some years ago. Now thanks to internet and contributions from so many people out there I can now begin to realize the dream. 8)
Hebrew's pretty useless. I know it, it's unique but seriously useless, especially for those of us who dislike the beliefs... It's also hard.

Artemis of Ephesus, something tells me we're going to get along well. I greet you hello! Even though I haven't myself been here for too long... Regardless, it's the thought that counts.

Artemis of Ephesus
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks for all you very welcoming messages, everyone. It creates a great sense of belonging. Which is always good.
Not strange. Oh how I wish I had started with Greek when I was 15.
Yeah, I'm happy too. By the time I'm an adult I'll know another language. Then I'll know three, English, German, (born in Germany) and Latin. And then I'll learn ancient greek.
Artemis of Ephesus, something tells me we're going to get along well. I greet you hello!
A special greeting back to you, seeing as you say we shall get along great.

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS »

As a peer being of the same group of physical age- is what I meant. In case you've missed that hello topic I made about 6 topics before yours, I'm 16 years of age.
I wonder why it's common here... We should create a topic inquiring how old everyone is. I would be rather interested in knowing as to how many old geezers this community consists of.

Ah... hungry, not enough sleep and I have just returned home after 8 and a half hours of manual labor (my bloody back hurts, I am in agony! I am in pain! I am suffering in agonizing pain!).

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

AgoNxRuS wrote:We should create a topic inquiring how old everyone is. I would be rather interested in knowing as to how many old geezers this community consists of.
I'm a 40 years old 'geezer'. Nice to meet you :-)

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

perispomenon wrote:
AgoNxRuS wrote:We should create a topic inquiring how old everyone is. I would be rather interested in knowing as to how many old geezers this community consists of.
I'm a 40 years old 'geezer'. Nice to meet you :-)
Hi spring chicken. (It's all a matter of perspective. :wink: )

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I will jump in now, and say I'm 36. If I wait till after my holidays, I'll have to add a year ;-).

Ingrid

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Hello Artemis!

An interesting name. I gotta admit, the first thing I thought of was an old statue of Artemis....there's no physical resemblance is there? :oops:
AgoNxRuS wrote:Hebrew's pretty useless. I know it, it's unique but seriously useless, especially for those of us who dislike the beliefs... It's also hard.

Ouch....please don't let my Jewish friends hear you say that! It is actually a rather fascinating language, but I agree with you...it is hard. I am getting ready to take another year of it at university. Then (God willing) I will have had enough Hebrew and Greek to get into a good Ph.D program (although I'll probably have to more than brush up on my German and learn French while I'm at it!)

Artemis of Ephesus
Textkit Neophyte

An interesting name. I gotta admit, the first thing I thought of was an old statue of Artemis....there's no physical resemblance is there?
Ummm... No. Luckily.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

AgoNxRuS wrote:
mingshey wrote:
Hebrew's pretty useless. I know it, it's unique but seriously useless, especially for those of us who dislike the beliefs... It's also hard.
AgoNxRuS wrote: I wonder why it's common here... We should create a topic inquiring how old everyone is. I would be rather interested in knowing as to how many old geezers this community consists of.
My, hasn't the definition of etiquette changed!

I (33 :D ), believe that there's no such thing as a seriously useless language. For Hebrew in particular where the Biblical form and the modern form of the language are so close together I (33 going 34) believe that it's a very interesting language to learn even for those like me who are atheists, for too many reasons to enumerate here.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

AgoNxRuS wrote:Hebrew's pretty useless. I know it, it's unique but seriously useless, especially for those of us who dislike the beliefs... It's also hard.
Hebrew's pretty useful for studying the Old Testament, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Cairo Genizah, the Mishnah and Talmud, and to speaking with Israelis.