Kia Ora, dudes

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Kia Ora, dudes

Post by ingrid70 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:51 am

I've got a little book with Pompejan graffiti with translations (in Dutch), and the lines of graffiti are numbered, so I suppose there is such a list. <br />The book gives only a selection, but it's very funny sometimes. <br /><br /><br />Ingrid
phpbb

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:52 am

In the film, the Centurian suggests that Romanes means "people called Roman", but then he also thinks that domum is a locative.
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:33 pm

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=311;start=15#2278 date=1059547722]<br /><br />Now there's a scary thought! I don't know about graffiti in your area. In mine -- on buses, walls, etc -- most of it is unreadable, it's like some sort of code, I wouldn't even know where to begin in trying to pronounce it. <br />[/quote]<br />Yep, it's pretty well unreadable around here, too, though we don't seem to have a lot of it.... unless it's just that I don't hang out in the places where the graffiti does.....<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:37 pm

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=311;start=15#2243 date=1059514175]<br /><br /><br />Niobe wuz ere<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Niobe was 3rd conj hah
phpbb

merytdjehuty
Textkit Neophyte

Post by merytdjehuty » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:32 am

I remember that Life of Brian sketch, i bought the movie some time ago, hilarious. my Latin is pretty sketchy, considering how long i've been teaching myself. If only I could get off my bum and do some more often...<br /><br />BB<br /><br />Merytdjehuty
phpbb

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:31 pm

Hi guys, and guyesses,<br /><br />Sorry I took so long to get back to you all. Holidaying on a South Pacific island at the moment (blue skies, palm trees - you'd hate it) and I don't check the email every day.<br /><br />Yep, that's the sketch - I think some of you remember it better than I do!<br /><br />I have brought my Wheelock with me though, so expect a few questions over the next few days.<br /><br />Oh well, back to the pool.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phil
phpbb

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:35 pm

Well, I've finally worked out why the LOB line "Conjugate the verb 'to go'" is funny, and I've also started on translating Harrius Potter into English. It only took me about 5 minutes to translate "Caput Primum".<br /><br />It means 'Chapter One'!<br /><br />Actually, I'm nearly at the end of the first whole page!!<br /><br />Phil
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:16 pm

Excuse my breaking into this discussion on Roman graffitti, but-Harry Potter is in Latin? Who translated it, why, when, how, where? If Latin is supposed to be a dead language (and we know it isn't, but it's supposed to be), then why go through the trouble? <br /><br />Our nearest graffitti is about fifteen miles away, under a highway bridge, but I'm afraid it won't be very useful to people wanted to know how the language is pronounced-it's mostly hearts with initials on the sides, a Nazi swastika, a "TJ lvs CP" (Look at that-it's Hebrew-no vowels!). Nothing for anyone interested in pronunciation.
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:09 pm

viewtopic . php?t=94;start=0<br /><br />Think you'll be able to find the info there...<br /><br />Lol, at least I know how to pronounce my own graffiti, though the Turkish stuff... well...<br />Anyway, there's enough graffiti around to practise (except where Keesa lives, obviously...).
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:08 pm

Mercifully, I am, for the moment, graffitti-free. You graffitti-studiers will have to go elsewhere... ;D<br /><br />Keesa
phpbb