here we go again...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

here we go again...

Post by klewlis »

I know I keep disappearing, then reappearing and saying I'm going to get back into my languages... and then disappearing again... yeah... such is life! lol

But now that I am back in school and *officially* in the classics program (yay!) and actually registered to take both Latin and Italian in the fall, I have to get back into it!

It's just Latin 1 so I already have been over it, but I'm VERY rusty and feel like I'm starting from scratch... so I'll be working on that over the summer. I need to get into a schedule and stick to it! hmmm... any creative ideas on how to do that?? :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

How bad are you?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

how bad at what? latin or sticking to a schedule? lol

(pretty bad at both, actually!)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

There's nothing anyone can say to you about sticking to a schedule. We can give you all the advice in the world, but if you're too lazy then you're too lazy; or if you procrastinate too much then you procrastinate too much. We can't help you there.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Chris Weimer wrote:There's nothing anyone can say to you about sticking to a schedule. We can give you all the advice in the world, but if you're too lazy then you're too lazy; or if you procrastinate too much then you procrastinate too much. We can't help you there.
I'm neither lazy nor a procrastinator. I have a lot of other things going on.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

klewlis wrote:I'm neither lazy nor a procrastinator. I have a lot of other things going on.
Sorry, the above sounds too harsh for me. I did not imply such was you, and I apologize if it looks that way. My only point was that we can offer you plenty of help on how to keep your Latin sharp, but if you cannot or will not (either way for whomever) dedicate the time, nothing will be accomplished.

best regards and sorry again,

Chris

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

bash klewlis more cweb

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

fierywrath wrote:bash klewlis more cweb
I'm not bashing her! Before anyone can recommend a schedule, it'd be helpful to know what sort of schedule to recommend!

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

fierywrath wrote:bash klewlis more cweb
I knew I shouldn't have listened to you in the fisrt place. troll.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

lol

well I think that having the daily thread for accountability will help.

My problem until December was that I was on the fast track to burnout because of my job and didn't have the energy (mentally or emotionally) to do anything else... left that job in December and am much less stressed now.

Work full time overnights, where I am allowed to sleep. One would think it an ideal place to study, and it would be but I am usually too tired and opt for the sleep instead. lol

Attending university but the last exam is next Tuesday so I will then have more time during the days.

Training for my third marathon (well, assuming that my knee will hold up, currently have tendinitis, so we'll see...).

Working with my very active, very energetic, and untrained dog who I've had since February. We've come a long way but he still requires a large time commitment (and will continue to as he needs a ton of exercise!).

Finally, managing a very active running website.

So... theoretically I have a lot of hours on hand since I sleep at work... but my schedule is so unstructured that it is nearly impossible to say, "ok, I'll study every day from x to x" because that time slot won't be available every day... know what I mean?

So I just need to force myself to do SOMETHING every day (or at least, most days), to set aside some time to work on it... hopefully as I get back into it, that will become easier. It's a matter of rebuilding the habit...

starting today!

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Have you thought about starting with something easy? Do you have any introductory books? How far along are you in Latin? What exactly can you translate?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Chris Weimer wrote:Have you thought about starting with something easy? Do you have any introductory books? How far along are you in Latin? What exactly can you translate?
I am starting back again with easy stuff.

At one point I had worked all the way through Wheelock and was moving on to other reading, but didn't get too far. So I'm now working through Wheelock again for review and practice, and also am reading the Cambridge book (unit 2 I believe).

It will be ok, I'm good at doing these things on my own, it's just a matter of rebuilding the habit and being accountable. :)

Turendil
Textkit Fan

sugestion

Post by Turendil »

Beg buy copy or steal an audio recording of Lingua Latina or something simillar and listen to it to/from your way to work.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: sugestion

Post by klewlis »

Turendil wrote:Beg buy copy or steal an audio recording of Lingua Latina or something simillar and listen to it to/from your way to work.
I didn't know there was an audio version of lingua latina! hmm... will have to locate one. That's a great idea, especially since my commute is 100k round-trip!

Turendil
Textkit Fan

Post by Turendil »

it only goes up to chapter 30 on part one. and I'm not sure about part two.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

An easy text to start off with, in my opinion, would be something like Celsus, or Caesar, or Augustus (Res Gestae), or poetry Catullus (though I've been told he's rather difficult for beginner's, though on some poems, like 5, I thoroughly disagree). The Vulgate is also pretty easy to handle. Bona Fortuna on your adventure!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Chris Weimer wrote:The Vulgate is also pretty easy to handle. Bona Fortuna on your adventure!

I actually have a greek-latin new testament, which I have used in the past for reading... that way if I don't know what the latin is I can look at the greek (instead of cheating with english) and it helps both languages. :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

klewlis i think you have taken on too much. no one could ever do a marathon, work a job, run a website and get to any half decent level in latin or any other endeavour. every one's human, you should decide what's most important to you. i don't think cweb255 should be all up apologising on you because he is right: after years of persuading people because i care i have only now realised that they have done nothing but be little pansies in making nothing happen because they are too lazy and scared to do anything ambitious. so cweb255 is right, you won't change, but i don't think you're that type of person anyway, you clearly made your priorities in running marathons, doing whatever else more important and consequently sucking balls at latin. there's nothing wrong with that, perhaps it's an indication that you should give up latin because it's not that important to you especially if you use the CLC and still are on caecilius bonus puer est. i mean, any one who is excellent at latin dedicates the life to it, and you will never be that as you have other commitments, so what is there to gain? latin is not useful unless you have a specific need for it and it död anyway. bonus fortunibus tebhi toi soi schloi

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Episcopus wrote:klewlis i think you have taken on too much. no one could ever do a marathon, work a job, run a website and get to any half decent level in latin or any other endeavour. every one's human, you should decide what's most important to you. i don't think cweb255 should be all up apologising on you because he is right: after years of persuading people because i care i have only now realised that they have done nothing but be little pansies in making nothing happen because they are too lazy and scared to do anything ambitious. so cweb255 is right, you won't change, but i don't think you're that type of person anyway, you clearly made your priorities in running marathons, doing whatever else more important and consequently sucking balls at latin. there's nothing wrong with that, perhaps it's an indication that you should give up latin because it's not that important to you especially if you use the CLC and still are on caecilius bonus puer est. i mean, any one who is excellent at latin dedicates the life to it, and you will never be that as you have other commitments, so what is there to gain? latin is not useful unless you have a specific need for it and it död anyway. bonus fortunibus tebhi toi soi schloi
Ah epi! how I have missed you! ;)

I am not THAT far behind! Yes I am reworking Wheelock but it is going swimmingly and as for CLC I am well into the second unit, and it is still easy.

In spite of all that I have going, I still have enough time to do this--it's simply a matter of balancing everything and rebuilding the habit... I will be taking latin in class starting in the fall, and intend to take as much as they offer. The first year will be easy because I already know the stuff.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

I never thought I'd ever agree with the Bishop:

"i mean, any one who is excellent at latin dedicates the life to it"

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Chris Weimer wrote:I never thought I'd ever agree with the Bishop:

"i mean, any one who is excellent at latin dedicates the life to it"
I never said I wanted to be the authority. ;)

ARCANUS IMMOTUS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ARCANUS IMMOTUS »

Jeepers, Little tuff on klewlis wouldn't you say?

If someone studied for one or two hours a day, the length of watching a re-run of "knight rider" or maybe the "name of the rose", they may not write like Roger Bacon but they would still make some progress, so I say just do it and have fun, keep learn, and don't walk into a tree.

I mean, I some times like to read Shakespeare, 'sblood, that does not mean I need to become some sort of "expert". Don't you know not to pick on people from Edmonton?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

ARCANUS IMMOTUS wrote:Jeepers, Little tuff on klewlis wouldn't you say?

If someone studied for one or two hours a day, the length of watching a re-run of "knight rider" or maybe the "name of the rose", they may not write like Roger Bacon but they would still make some progress, so I say just do it and have fun, keep learn, and don't walk into a tree.

I mean, I some times like to read Shakespeare, 'sblood, that does not mean I need to become some sort of "expert". Don't you know not to pick on people from Edmonton?
ah, thank you! and from a calgarian, no less! I'm used to getting abuse from them (ok just one, otherwise most of my family lives there ;)

ARCANUS IMMOTUS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ARCANUS IMMOTUS »

I was born in Edmonton, so? What are you gone do? And I'm used to getting abused by them too (in traffic) Good luck.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

I just chanced upon this:

http://www.ravendays.org For victims and survivors of bullying at school.

Thought it might make interesting reading for the hitters and kickers on this site. Assuming all they're doing is getting even for past humiliations.

Nothing for someone like Klewlis whom I'm sure is unbulliable.

Incidentally, I shouldn't think a marathon-minded person like K would have a problem with a long-distance project like Latin. :D

Cheers,
Int

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

are you saying I'm bullying Klewlis? Klewlis, am I bullying you? Have I taken your lunch money recently? :wink:

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

As a person who has (madly?) taken on a lot (though not really as much as you have), I can say that all you need is a tight schedule (and a good sense of planning). Prioritisation is necessary, but you can do as much as you are willing to fit in.
If you are good at combining activities it would also benefit you too.