hey!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Re:hey!

Post by Ptahhotep » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:36 am

[quote][/quote]Demotic is what I think I should start with. Or coptic, What' you think? <br /><br /><br />Well I personally think that Coptic is easier because it uses a similar alphabet to ours (it's based on Greek and Demotic in fact). Demotic is a very cursive alphabet and quite hard to learn. But if you know Classical Greek I would probably recommend Coptic, but there are very few online grammars on the subject. There are some free lessons availible at http://www.stshenouda.com/coptlang/cptlsn1w.htm but in my humble opinion it's not very thorough and their are little explanations of important grammra rules. Coptic is very easy if you know some Greek, Arabic and Egyptian (it's like Esperanto for Egypt :D)<br /><br />The book i'm using to teach myself Middle Egyptian is by James P. Allen, he wrote an excellent book about the language and culture of the Egyptians. Do a search on amazon.com for "The Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs.<br /><br />Well i hope this helps.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]Xaírete[/face]
phpbb

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:45 am

Oh yeah, Hieroglyphic grammars are plentyful :) And some are still in use after 100 years like the grammars here at Textkit :D
phpbb

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:32 pm

over 50% of our dictionary has words of Romantic origin! fascinating...<br />
<br /><br />I am oddly reminded of the father in "My BIg Fat Greek Wedding". <br />Father: Give me any word in English and I will show you it comes from Greek<br />Daughter's friend: How about "kimono"?
phpbb

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:19 pm

Old English is beautiful, too. It's in my language-to-learn list. :)<br /><br />And a beautiful recitation of Beowulf(CD) is one of my treasures.<br /><br />Pity for Old English it had lost its life.<br /><br />Surge of the language from advanced culture often destroys the beauty of local tongue. Its coherence and congruency. It's what happened to my mother tongue, too.<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:35 pm

How can you learn old English ???<br />I mean, what is there to learn? I have no problems what so ever understanding it, what do you mean? Do you mean you want to be able to speak or write it?
phpbb

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:07 pm

you know Old English fluently? If so that's pretty impressive!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:46 pm

Well, I just never have any trouble understanding it...
phpbb

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:47 pm

I have always subconsciously ascribed quintessential ineloquence and unpalatability to Old English (We are talking about Anglo-Saxon, correct?), and to the likes of it.<br /><br />P.S.<br />MDS, is your adage, or whatever it may be, from Ovid's Metamorphoses? Sorry if this is too off topic...<br /><br />
phpbb

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:10 pm

I assume you're talking about the Old English language Emma? Old English (Anglo-Saxon) is part of the West Germanic family of Indo-European languages spoken somewhere around 800AD to the Middle Ages (I think!). Yes, a lot of the early Germanic languages were beautiful in poems and such (but the only text I know is in the Gothic "Attar Unsar" / Our Father!). It's very difficault to learn Germanic languages though because of their odd vowel pronunciation systems. I'm studying Gothic on-and-off but it's quite easy. Gothic is my favourite old Germanic language :). Well anyway, Old English is a lot different from Modern Standard English (it's possibly like the difference between Modern and Ancient Greek.) There are a lot of similar looking words but they sound very different when spoken. Can you understand "Uton we¯ efstan ealle maegene go¯dra weora, o,nd geornfulle be¯on Godes miltsa, nu¯ we¯ ongeotan magon þon ic......."? ;D<br /><br />Mingshey, I have never read Beowulf but heard it was a great text in Old English literature. Do you know where I can find it online (for the record)?
phpbb

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:26 pm

:) :) :)
phpbb