Phi Beta Kappa (?)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Phi Beta Kappa (?)

Post by greagach »

Anyone happens to know the meaning behind “Phi Beta Kappa”, and other triads of Greek letters, that I see featuring on various college jerseys or T-shirts from the States? <br /><br /> Do they imply something? Is there any particular story behind them?<br />
αἴτιον: ἡ ψυχὴ μετὰ λόγου· συναίτιον: τὸ πῦρ [Ἡράκλειτος]

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re:Phi Beta Kappa (?)

Post by Emma_85 »

Now, I may be wrong, as I don't really know anything much about America, but I think that these letters are to show which 'house' they are in. In the US the students don't all have to live in crappy accomadation, they can live in nice homes, if their parents or friends of their parents went to that Uni. They have nice homes that rich people bought for the students at that college after the graduated or something. And they give these homes letters from the Greek alphabet. <br /><br />Well, maybe. All this info I just gave you is just what I think to be true, because of what I've seen in some US films and tv series.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=2;threadid=608;start=0#5514 date=1062964237]<br />Now, I may be wrong, as I don't really know anything much about America, but I think that these letters are to show which 'house' they are in.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Emma, this is the funniest characterization of the US Fraternity system I have ever heard. It's anthropological. I love it.<br /><br />The Greek letters are for Fraternities and Sororities, University societies. They are actually acronyms for mottos in Greek, which I am confident the vast majority of fraternity and sorority members do not understand.<br /><br />Here, "Philosophy the Guide of Life."<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

Thank you, dear friends, for your input. <br /><br /> So, would that one be: <br /> [size=150] φιλοσοφία, ὁ τοῦ βίου κυβερνήτης , right? <br /><br /> Do you know any other "initials" ? That's a very interesting idea, all in all, even if the students don't care about the meaning...

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well, it is a bit difficult do understand something when the only information you have to go on are the Scream films ;).

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

greagach wrote:<br /> So, would that one be: <br /> [size=150] φιλοσοφία, ὁ τοῦ βίου κυβερνήτης , right? <br />
<br /><br />I'd drop the articles, I think, but yes.<br /><br />
<br /> Do you know any other "initials" ? That's a very interesting idea, all in all, even if the students don't care about the meaning...<br />
<br /><br />I don't know any others.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

[size=150] χάριν ἔχω, ὦ γουλιέλμε

aemilius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aemilius »

[quote author=greagach link=board=2;threadid=608;start=0#5516 date=1062965604]<br /> Do you know any other "initials" ? That's a very interesting idea, all in all, even if the students don't care about the meaning...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well these are from a book Enchiridion by Elaine Woodward &<br /><br />Marianne Pagos:<br /><br />[size=150]ζβτ, σχ, τεκ, απω, βθπ, γσς, λλλ <br /><br />I don't know their meaning however.<br /><br />aemilius

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

[size=150] εὐχαριστῶ σοι ἐξ ἴσου, ὦ αἰμίλιε οὐδέν πρόβλημα, διακριβήσομαι τ’ ἀκρωνύμια ταῦτα ἀφ’ ἑαυτοῦ, ἐν διαδικτύω