Lingua Latina 1965 version

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
worldoftrees
Textkit Neophyte

Lingua Latina 1965 version

Post by worldoftrees »

Hi,

yesterday I purchased (secondhand) Lingua Latina by Oerberg :D
I'm currently studying Latin using Henle and I need a break. Due to the enthousiasm here for LL, I decided to try it.

Today I realised that I have no way of grading the pensa, as I do not have the answers and the introductory booklet advises me to send my pensa to the teachers associated with the publisher of the books ...... yeah, in 1965. :evil:

Do any of you know of a way to solve this problem? A website or something, of someone who has used this version?? Or should I just admit that I made a costly mistake :cry: and buy the new version?

regards,
Miriam

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Lingua Latina 1965 version

Post by ingrid70 »

Hi Miriam,

First a welcome from a fellow Dutchwoman ;-).

I don't think the 1965 version is so very different from the modern one, as far as I can remember. I have the modern version with 'pensa soluta', so if you put your answers on here, I can check them against the key, and see if it is indeed still similar.

Hope this helps,
Ingrid

worldoftrees
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Lingua Latina 1965 version

Post by worldoftrees »

Hi Ingrid,

nice to meet a fellow dutchwoman, small world, isn't it?

Thank you for your kind offer, but I can't possibly let you check my answers. You have obviously more things to do, learn Latin :) , care for kids, right? Anyway, my husband encouraged me to splurge and buy the new version...so that's what I'm going to do. Yeah!

Did you learn Latin with LL or did you use it as a supplement?

groetjes/regards,
Miriam

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Hi Miriam,

Good to hear you're buying a new version. Which books are you going to buy besides the textbook? I recommend using at least the Exercitia Latina, as many of the finer grammar points are practised in there.

I learned Latin at school some 20 years ago and picked it up again later. I use several books, Lingua Latina mainly as a reader, because it is my goal to learn to read fluently without translating. Lingua Latina is really great for that. But I'm also a grammar nerd, so I use an old schoolbook that uses NL-La and La-NL translations too.

And I'm collecting Latin schoolbooks, so I've quite a collection of different types of books to choose from. The oldest is 200 years old!

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone on this forum is always willing to help. I do have work and kids, but Latin is my hobby, no problem spending some time on it here ;-).

Ingrid