Massive Frustration

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kopio
Global Moderator

Massive Frustration

Post by Kopio »

RRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh,

So I got a message from our registrar today. I am in my last semester, set to graduate in May. A couple of years ago I sat down with the assistant registrar and mapped out my last two years to get my degree. Well...it turns out that the assistant registrar made a couple of mistakes, and I have to register for TWO more classes this semster in order to graduate. That will push my course load up to 9 classes for a total of 20 credits (one class is a zero credit, but I have to take it for graduation)! To make matters worse, I have to appeal to the academic dean (who I at least know pretty well) to take over 18 credit hours!

Talk about adding insult to injury! Anyhow...I just had to bellyache because right now life sucks! Oh yeah, and to make things worse I still have to work about 35-40 hours per week to pay the bills...say goodbye to sleep!!

Ok....I'm done being a whiner now.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Massive Frustration

Post by annis »

My sympathies! But...
Kopio wrote:Oh yeah, and to make things worse I still have to work about 35-40 hours per week to pay the bills...say goodbye to sleep!!
You're working full time and taking classes full time? I feel like such a slacker now.

You can blame the Antichrist for this problem! Notice how carefully he arranged for your 666th post to be on this matter.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I found out exactly how fun petitioning for "excess units" is during this quarter ... well, it wasn't that bad, but that's mainly because I filed my petition at the first possible minute (before the last quarter ended), so I got to the bureaucracy before they were overburdened with the swamp of work which the new quarter brings, so there was plenty of time to argue with them (luckily they didn't even argue with me, BUT it was nice to know while I was waiting for them to process the petition that if I did have to argue, time was on my side). But other people I know who had to file the petition at the last minute ... yeah, it's stressful.

But, I don't have a job, let alone a full-time job. Nor do I have dependents (one of my classmates gave birth last quarter, and I'm amazed at how well she's doing as a full-time student considering that she is taking care of an infant as well ... fortunately her significent other earns enough money to support the three of them, but still...). In your position, I would seriously consider shifting to part-time and eating some savings ... but I don't know, maybe your classes are really easy, or you have the stamina of five academic mules..

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Massive Frustration

Post by Bert »

annis wrote:My sympathies! But...
Kopio wrote:Oh yeah, and to make things worse I still have to work about 35-40 hours per week to pay the bills...say goodbye to sleep!!
You're working full time and taking classes full time? I feel like such a slacker now.
I honestly don't know how he does it.

elduce
Textkit Member

Post by elduce »

Nine classes is unheard of in America. I assume you live somewhere else. If not, you must have mentem supremam!

Vale,
El
ego amo megaforce

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

elduce wrote:Nine classes is unheard of in America. I assume you live somewhere else. If not, you must have mentem supremam!
Heeeeyyy. I'm in America and I'm taking nine classes right now. Of course, two of them are 1-unit courses (EDIT : 3 of them are 1-unit courses), and only one of them is 4 units, which is why I'm still breathing. Oh, and one of my classes gives six units, but it's really easy, so it only feels like three.

However, it's a pretty heavy load, which is why I've been a bit quieter around here than previously.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:
elduce wrote:Nine classes is unheard of in America. I assume you live somewhere else. If not, you must have mentem supremam!
Heeeeyyy. I'm in America and I'm taking nine classes right now. Of course, two of them are 1-unit courses (EDIT : 3 of them are 1-unit courses), and only one of them is 4 units, which is why I'm still breathing. Oh, and one of my classes gives six units, but it's really easy, so it only feels like three.

However, it's a pretty heavy load, which is why I've been a bit quieter around here than previously.
And Kopio does all that while holding down a full time job. Wow.

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

if you cared at all about education you would quit your job and live in a box with Homer.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

fierywrath wrote:if you cared at all about education you would quit your job and live in a box with Homer.
I might but I don't think I could convince my family to do the same :D .

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Bert wrote:
fierywrath wrote:if you cared at all about education you would quit your job and live in a box with Homer.
I might but I don't think I could convince my family to do the same :D .
Yeah, and on top of that...I think Homer is probably just a pile of dust now, and you'd have to be a crazy person to live in a box with a pile of dust!

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Kopio my heartfelt sympathies. I see that seemingly stupid registrars are part of a world-wide conspiracy to turn students into cross-eyed, foaming mass-murderers.

I'm afraid I wasn't working as hard as you did when studying and I could always rely on my parents when I needed to (in other words all the time) so I can't sayI know exactly how you feel. Don't abandon sleep however! There are evil trees out there ready to plant themselves on the path of any not-quite-awake driver!