hey!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

hey!

Post by Ptahhotep » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:04 am

hi people!<br /><br />i'm a farely new member of the Textkit forums, you probably saw my msgs in the Outside Links of interest ;) now here's some stuff about me...<br /><br />My name is (online of course lol) Ptahhotep and I live in South Africa (Ptahhotep was an overseer/vizier of some phrahaoh of Egypt in the Old Kingdom.)<br /><br />I'm studying Middle Egyptian grammar as well as New Testament Greek (oh, and Modern Greek, but they're really so similar, except in pronunciation, so i thought i may as well learn Classical Greek as well hehe ;)). yes, i'm fascinated in languages, in fact, i hope to study linguistics when i finish high school :) (well i'm actually doing homeschool (it isn't so common here though) because of the crime situation at public schools.) I also like Greek and Roman history<br /><br />How i started learning Greek? well i was amazed by how many words from English are of Greek/Latin origin. (you probably already know this :)) over 50% of our dictionary has words of Romantic origin! fascinating...<br /><br />well that's about it i guess. i hope i can contribute to this place in anyway possible ;)<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]xaírete![/face]
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:hey!

Post by Keesa » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:34 pm

Welcome, Ptahhotep! (How would you pronounce that?) I hope you like it here, and that you learn a lot. I know I have. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:55 pm

Hi Ptahhotep! I see you're home schooled... don't hesitate to post your thoughts on the subject in the home school thread.
phpbb

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:03 pm

It's pronounced as in the standard Spanish vowel system or Modern Greek. Pt- is a consonant cluster and should be pronounced seperately, -a- is like a normal Greek a, the -hh- is a bit of a hard h sound, pronounced somewhat deeper in the throat, the -o- is a normal Greek o, and the -e- is like a normal Greek e. lol i should make this explanation as my signiture, a lot of people seem to be unable to pronounce it! :D :D :D :D<br /><br />By the way, Ptahhotep means "Ptah (the god) is satified".
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:16 pm

Neat! and thank you! I've always been charmed by the Egyptian culture, especially their hieroglyphs, although it's the charm of one standing on the outside looking in, since I must admit I know next to nothing about it! :D <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:38 pm

[face=SPIonic] kalw=j ton [/face] ! <br /><br /> welcome, you satisfied Ptah! and all the best with your (modern and older) Greek learning.<br /><br /> true, English is so full of Greek words, and you wouldn't notice that until you come to have a closer look to a lot of words and the story behind them, only to find out that about a fifth of the vocabulary of English comes directly from Greek. <br /><br /> this certainly makes things a bit easier, and a lot more interesting.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]ta/ le/me[/face] !
phpbb

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:46 pm

About the suffix hotep: does that have any association with the meaning 'love'? Also, where may one find a book detailing the grammar of the spoken Egyptian language? I have always wanted to add Egyptian to my repetoire of languages...<br /><br />Post Scriptum:<br /><br />A belated welcoming of sorts to textkit to you! I hope my welcoming of you didn't seem less peremptory than my interest in having my own questions answered... ;)
phpbb

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:05 am

<br />Hi Ptahhotep,<br /><br />Welcome to the Textkit forum. You have a very interesting name.<br /><br />Don't forget to take a look at all the books you can download from this site. Click on the Learn Ancient Greek link above to see what's available. I hope you enjoy your stay here.<br /><br />

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:42 am

Oy, great!<br />Welcome here!<br />Er, what textbook do you use for egyptian studies?<br />Not Rosetta stone, do you? ;D -- Er, it's an article about the deciphering of rosetta stone I ever heard of the god Ptah, [Cleopatra, ever beloved by Ptah] or somethin' like that. -- well, it was a dull joke, but I'm serously considering learning egyptian too, in the far future. Demotic is what I think I should start with. Or coptic, What' you think?

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:25 am

As far as I know they use "Egyptian Grammar" by Alan Gardiner for learning Middle Egyptian at university in Germany - and Austria as well, I think.<br /><br />Students, who study "Ägyptologie" at university first learn the Hieroglyphs and then Hieratic and Demotic... :)