Defective verbs

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:Defective verbs

Post by Episcopus » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:31 pm

Just complimenting myself...what a line... ;)
phpbb

albertde
Textkit Neophyte

Post by albertde » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:31 am

Defective verbs exist in English:<br /><br />
  • can
  • must
<br /><br />These verbs BTW are not defective in Dutch or German.<br /><br />Dutch for can is kunnen [to be able to] and for must is moeten [to have to]:<br /><br />Ik heb het niet kunnen doen. (I have not been able to do that.)<br /><br />Hij had het gemoeten. (He had to have it.)<br /><br />It's possible that verbs that are defective in Latin were not in sister dialects.
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:23 am

A good point about defective verbs in English... I suppose that by learning English while growing up, these little details get missed.... :o I hadn't really noticed that they "weren't all there"....<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:07 am

From the Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar:<br /><br />Of a verb: incomplete, lacking a complete set of forms.<br /><br />The MODAL verbs are described in older grammar as defective, since they have only one form each (or at most two, if the pairs will and would, can and could, etc. are treated as single paradigms) and lack imperative and non-finite forms. Another defective verb is beware, which is only used as an imperative or a to-infinitive:<br /><br />Beware of the dog.<br /><br />I warned him to beware of the dog.<br /><br />Compare PERIPHRASIS.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:06 am

Interesting...<br /><br />Another irregular one is "have" which is "has" in the third person singular when its predicted form would be "haves". I would not mind seeing a complete list of English irregulars :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:42 am

I am sure there would be exceptions even to irregulars...English is a strange language! I am glad I learned it growing up...I would have hated to have had to learn it "as a subject," i.e., using books and exercises rather than through hearing people speak it. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:16 pm

For me English doesn't count. It's so irregular that :-X<br /><br />And who ever used "do" as an auxiliary :o
phpbb

albertde
Textkit Neophyte

Post by albertde » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:28 am

Another thing that can happen is that two verbs "collide" and only parts survive.<br /><br />Example: go, past: went, participle: gone.<br /><br />In Chaucer's time, there were two verbs:<br /><br />
  • wenden: past:went;participle: ywent
  • goon (I can't find the parts)
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:56 pm

I think old English is lovely. <br /><br />Can you give examples of how each of those would have been used in a sentence, please? I can't quite make that out. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:26 pm

here's an example:<br /><br />an ugly old woman is telling a knight that he must marry her:<br /><br />But al for noght: the ende is this, that he<br />Constreyned was, he nedes moste hire wedde;<br />And taketh his olde wyf, and gooth to bedde.
phpbb