Happy Thanksgiving!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by Lucus Eques »

Bonam Supplicationem vobis exopto!

... now how would you say that in Greek?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

Perhaps: χα?ίεντα τὰ θαλύσια γένοιτο
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

καλῶς!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

καλὴ ε?χα?ιστία ὑμῖν

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

I hope you had a great thanksgiving. In Canada we celebrate it on the second Monday of October.

By the way, why aren't you in Iraq?

~PeterD

p.s. Can you decline the noun "hypocrite" in Greek?
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

If I didn't know that you're happily married, Peter, (I know because you keep repeating it before jumping on someone's jugular), I'd venture that you're in urgent need of getting laid! Party pooper!

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Now seriously, Peter, you come across as an angry and rancorous man. You remind me of many sons and grandsons of Spaniards who lost the last war. Was your family butchered in Smyrna in front of the idling Oil Royalty Navy or something like that? Don't let your beautiful daughter inherit that anger as well!

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:Now seriously, Peter, you come across as an angry and rancorous man.
So he does.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:I'd venture that you're in urgent need of getting laid!
Both restlessly lascivious and banal---don't you think?

Seriously, stop dining alone.
Bardo de Saldo wrote: Party pooper!
The question was relevant. After his pean to military honour this past summer, I thought for sure he'd rush over to Iraq and help out the troops. With America running short on American limbs and lives, his presence would be sorely needed no?

So, where is Lucus Eques? Indeed, where is Mr. Chivalry? Don't tell me he's chickened out. Say it ain't so, Mr. Chivalry!

~PeterD

p.s. Concering my sex life, what business is it of yours, Bardo? Were you flirting with me? (If you must know, I have very high standards.) If you were, regretfully, I must decline your offer---trannies don't interest this Greek.

p.p.s. Yes, Bert, I am angry. I am angry at the devastation and slaughter in Iraq---over one million casualties! What, pray tell, runs through your veins, Bert? Never mind. Here's a book recommendation: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Christianity. (emphasis mine) It's available on Amazon. If you order now, Amazon ensures delivery by Christmas. Good luck!
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Seriously PeterD...you ought to post a smiley face (even if it's the devilish one) after a post like that.....you might just hurt poor Bert's feelings...and I know you have a soft spot for him (being a fellow Canuck and all).

As far as Bardo...good to see you back my friend....I still haven't gotten off of my arse and set up coffee with you...sometime soon perhaps? I'm starting Christmas break soon....

I think what y'all need to know about PeterD is...even though his posts are HIGHLY enflamed (emphasis mine :wink: ), he really secretly loves you all (well, maybe not Paul), and is actually a very compassionate, decent human being. He and I have had a good repore for quite some time now, and it is rare indeed that we agree on anything, other than say...our love for the Greek language, and the fact that it hasn't been that long since he's been laid....he has a daughter you know (although I've never actually seen pictures)....that puts it at least within the last two years!

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Kopio wrote:Seriously PeterD...you ought to post a smiley face (even if it's the devilish one) after a post like that.....you might just hurt poor Bert's feelings...and I know you have a soft spot for him (being a fellow Canuck and all).
I'm sure Bert isn't heartbroken---he can take it.
Kopio wrote:I think what y'all need to know about PeterD is...even though his posts are HIGHLY enflamed (emphasis mine :wink: ), he really secretly loves you all (well, maybe not Paul), and is actually a very compassionate, decent human being.
No, I like Paul, too. Did you know that Paul and I are big Mel Gibson fans?
Kopio wrote:... and the fact that it hasn't been that long since he's been laid....
As much as I'd love to regale you all with tales of my sexual exploits and other shameless pleasures, those days are behind me---I've moved on. Besides, the last thing I want to do is give Bardo wet dreams. :wink:

~PeterD

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

PeterD...you never fail to make me chuckle! That must be why I like you so much :wink:

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

So, up to now we have Smyrna and Iraq in this thread and WWII in the "other" thread. I am going to find someone to accuse him that his granny was stealing clothes' pegs from my granny and start trading insults (don' you boys try the "he started it first" excuse or I'll be tempted to order you both to go to your rooms right now). And I am going to go all the way back to when your tribe was trying to steal the fire from my tribe's cave so beware!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving by the way and that you all ate more that was good for you, and filled your stomachs with food-stuff that make the arteries go "clang" just by you looking at them (the only eatables worth eating in quantity).

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

"Concerning my sex life . . ." ---PeterD

What your right hand does, Pedro, neither your left hand or I want to know; I was just giving you a discrete reminder of that saying that goes: "Tell me what you show off and I´ll tell you what you lack."

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

"[. . .] coffee [. . .]" ---Kopio

No rush, dear Matt, let´s do it at your own pace, lest not anyone say that you got a C on your Greek test because you had a cup of coffee with your local bard.

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Here's a book recommendation: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Christianity (emphasis mine) [. . .]" ---PeterD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me, Peter, slap a frame around your latest example of lowly "bravery". Given your verborrhea, the public will excuse me if I don't point out every one of your brainy counter-arguments.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

desinite. it's unbecoming of grown men to speak (well... write) thus.

Happy belated thanksgiving and Merry Christmas a little early!!

-Jon

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

С новым годом!
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:"Concerning my sex life . . ." ---PeterD

What your right hand does, Pedro, neither your left hand or I want to know; I was just giving you a discrete reminder of that saying that goes: "Tell me what you show off and I´ll tell you what you lack."
Nor do I care to know how you ever manage with those short, stubby fingers of yours, el Bardo.

If you want a squirting contest, have one with Lucus Eques. He shouldn't be hard to find---just don't go looking for him around any U.S military recruiting offices, old boy.:)

~PeterD

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I haven't read this thread in weeks -- interesting -- I am joining the Air Force after college.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Lucus Eques wrote:I haven't read this thread in weeks -- interesting -- I am joining the Air Force after college.
That's great!

There's is only one problem: the U.S. military needs BOOTS on the ground---pronto---not Air Force personel, Lucus. If I am not mistaken, Iraq and Afghanistan don't have any planes, nor surface-to-air missiles. America, Lucus, only invades weak countries, not strong, and even then America has its hands full.

Sorry, Lucus, not much guts there on your part. You might as well join the Navy. :lol:

~PeterD

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

PeterD I think you should open a thread called American and Israeli bashing :wink:

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Any chance, Peter Old Chap, that you could be using young Lucus as a mirror? How does it feel to be sitting on your butt amongst the perfidious enemy while your Muslim brothers are having an orgy of blood back in the old country? Does the wholesale devirginizing of French-Canadian maidens (in your dreams) quench your guilt?

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Just wanted to express my disgust at the lack of charity in this thread. Please, gentlemen, let's get past the ad hominems. This is supposed to be a cheerful season. :x
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Low blow, Peter. Not that there haven't been some low blows against you, though...

The Air Force provides more than just planes, they also provide infantry and invaluable intelligence. And the Navy provides corpsman for the wounded. A good friend of mine was a corpsman. I ask you, please do not be disrespectful.

-Jon

euphony
Textkit Neophyte

Post by euphony »

Peter D is entitled to be outraged about this Iraq War, those who started it, and those who support it. I share his outrage, holiday season or not.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

You can be outraged about the "War on Terror" (as I am) and still be respectful of others.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

I agree with Amadeus in this respect.

-Jon

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

IreneY wrote:PeterD I think you should open a thread called American and Israeli bashing :wink:
Hi, Irene.

I don't want to "bash" anyone. It's just enough is enough---all this death and destruction must stop. In Iraq, the casualty figure has surpassed 1,000,000 people---not cattle, but people! It's crazy, Irene. And what is even more crazy is that the citizens of America have the power to stop this, and they don't!

As for Israel, what happened this past summer was just madness: the slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians, the destruction of a whole country---just madness.

~PeterD
Last edited by PeterD on Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:Any chance, Peter Old Chap, that you could be using young Lucus as a mirror? How does it feel to be sitting on your butt amongst the perfidious enemy while your Muslim brothers are having an orgy of blood back in the old country? Does the wholesale devirginizing of French-Canadian maidens (in your dreams) quench your guilt?
El Bardo, you're starting to worry me a bit. :shock:

~PeterD

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Amadeus wrote:Just wanted to express my disgust at the lack of charity in this thread. Please, gentlemen, let's get past the ad hominems. This is supposed to be a cheerful season. :x
It's not so cheerful if you live in Iraq, Afghanistan, or the occupied territories. It's not so cheeful for the fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters of American service personnel killed or wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan (estimated at 25, 000, mostly marines and army).

You're right, Amadeus. It's supposed to be a "cheerful season." My apologies for being a "party pooper."

~PeterD

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Deudeditus wrote:Low blow, Peter. Not that there haven't been some low blows against you, though...

The Air Force provides more than just planes, they also provide infantry and invaluable intelligence. And the Navy provides corpsman for the wounded. A good friend of mine was a corpsman. I ask you, please do not be disrespectful.

-Jon
Yes, you're absolutely right. I was trying to make the point that mostly ground troops are needed. My apologies.

~PeterD

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

euphony wrote:Peter D is entitled to be outraged about this Iraq War, those who started it, and those who support it. I share his outrage, holiday season or not.
It's madness not to be outraged. The slaughter isn't going to stop for the holiday season.

~PeterD

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Amadeus wrote:You can be outraged about the "War on Terror" (as I am) and still be respectful of others.
No, Amadeus--no!

I mean no harm to Lucus, and I wish he'd reconsider his decision to join any branch of the service. (We need more doctors and teachers NOT more soldiers in this world)

Having said that, if Lucus is going to talk the talk, he should walk the walk. He's pro military? He's for this crazy war? Then he should get his behind over there pronto! He shouldn't give us this Air Force bit. America needs ground troops now! And after he's done his several tours of duty (trust me on this one), and he's still in one piece, then by all means he can join the Air Force.

~PeterD
Last edited by PeterD on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Look Peter I don't agree with the war on Terror anymore than you do. I have my "issues" with the Israeli policy too. When however you attack specific people with your posts because of what they believe, I consider that bashing.
And the way I see it, "our" goal is to do what we can so that in the future all people can enjoy a peaceful life with its happy, nonsensical and whatnot moments; not spoil the happy, nonsensical and whatnot moments of those who already enjoy them. They are precious few as it is. We can go on campaining the rest of the year, there are enough days left :D

P.S. I am only referring to you simply because I don't know Lucus or Bardo well enough (plus, Lucus has not taken the discussion to the new depths you and Bardo have taken it).

ΧΡΟ?ΙΑ ΠΟΛΛΑ everyone

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

IreneY wrote:Look Peter I don't agree with the war on Terror anymore than you do. I have my "issues" with the Israeli policy too. When however you attack specific people with your posts because of what they believe, I consider that bashing.
It's their beliefs that I "attack," and only if their beliefs endanger the well being of others. War mongers piss me off. Racists piss me off. Hypocrites... well, you get the picture. Would you prefer that I say nothing? 1,000,000 casualties---at least---and the boy wants to join the military that is responsible for this carnage. Again, we're are talking about people and not cattle. Go back and read what Lucus had to say about military honor, Irene. I am sorry, but I respectfully disagree.
IreneY wrote:P.S. I am only referring to you simply because I don't know Lucus or Bardo well enough (plus, Lucus has not taken the discussion to the new depths you and Bardo have taken it).
Forget Bardo; he's just being a flirt. And you're wrong about Lucus. Big time! If you go back and check his malicious and racist reply on the history of the Palestinian people in the Israel/Hezbollah post, you would think differently. What was the word he used to describe the Palestinians? Oh, yes! "...the 'dregs' of society". You're right, Irene, he hasn't "taken the discussion to the new depths" of yours truly and Bardo That boy is in a category all by himself!

Merry Christmas, Irene.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

PeterD wrote:No, Amadeus--no!
Yes, Peter--yes!

Don't get me wrong. I would very much like to see you tear the pro war people's arguments to shreds, especially the inane one "it's better to fight 'them' over there than here (meaning the US)." But don't get personal, it makes you look bad in the eyes of the people we want to 'win over' to the dar... I mean bright side.
It's not so cheerful if you live in Iraq, Afghanistan, or the occupied territories. It's not so cheeful for the fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters of American service personnel killed or wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan (estimated at 25, 000, mostly marines and army).
What do you want from me, Peter? Want me to be wretched all my life just because there's always somebody in the world who is not happy? Heck there's never really been a peaceful time in the history of man, does that mean we cannot enjoy our lives? IMO, if you feel their pain so intensely, you probably shouldn't be wasting time on-line in forums debating nerds. :?

I still wish you a merry Christmas, though. :wink:

Vale!

Señor Boethius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Señor Boethius »

Like communism, like fascism, like Canadian liberalism, Islamic fascism is something that must be defeated for the survival of Western society. If you don't particularly care about Western society, well, that's one issue, but if you do, the question is how to go about doing this. Sitting down for an afternoon cup of tea and bribing them with aid or technology is one option, but it doesn't work in the long run. Using force when necessary and helping to promote a better government is a better option. Iraq is not lost. Baghdad may be nuts, but Kurdistan is doing well. The nightly news bombards people with daily doses of death counts and fear; heck, I could present the nightly news with stuff going on in Mexico that would scare the bejeezus out of most people.
What Lucus is doing is not only brave and noble, but something necessary for the preservation of Western society. Merry Christmas!!
Victor Davis Hanson is the one to read on this. Plus, he's a classicist.
http://victorhanson.com/

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Amadeus wrote:I still wish you a merry Christmas, though. :wink:

Vale!
Yes, a Merry Christmas to all! :)