Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Post by Episcopus » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:51 pm

But it's fun there, I feels so intelligent. I can stand in the school of abotu 1500 (including teachers) and say "I be by far the cleverest person in this place". It does be uplifting. <br /><br />Children do play "Chicken" in our school: one must run across a motorway. Relates to "why did the chicken cross the road" I supposed. It's crazy but entertaining and those who play are very good. Phenomenal exercise in reflexes and dodging power. Some one should film it.
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:50 pm

Ehhh... running acoss the motorway... yeah, everyone is sane... :o<br /><br />Lol, no one I know has ever tried to run across the motorway by Speyer, though some have tried to run across a dual carrige way (the old roman road). But they were really drunk and couldn't work out how to use the bridge...<br /><br />Some people from my school once invited a fair ground... it was really fun that day at school. Had some good rides and ate a lot and drank the free beer :-).
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:42 pm

I always knew there was a reason I was glad I was homeschooled...<br /><br />Does anyone go to school to learn anymore? Or is that old-fashioned now? It sounds to me rather like one long social gathering...very nice, I'm sure, but-not much like my idea of a learning environment. ;) Then again, I always have been behind the times. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:17 pm

You just will not be very good person, or rather aware. And your important reflices will SUCK! <br /><br />When tired on bus if nuts all lean to one side to topple the bus (oh it is possible) one must wake up and smack oneself against the opposite window. <br /><br />I hate nuts. But they do give one a good laugh.
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:44 pm

Actually, my reflexes are rather good, even though I haven't had to hone them razor sharp by dodging knives or bottles. ;D I am glad to know that you enjoy it, though. And, apparently it hasn't damaged your brain, because if it had, you couldn't delve into the delightful mysteries of the Latin language! <br /><br />It's funny, actually, to read over your posts, where you speak of the English/Welsh school systems...my sister and I are schooled on the principles of an Englishwoman named Charlotte Mason, who lived sometime around the turn of the century. Her books, the Home Education series, have been instrumental in our courses of study, and I'm quite fond of her. I wonder, sometimes, what she would think of the schools as they are now! <br /><br />Again, I'm glad you can find the good in your school. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:03 pm

I am just come home from my school. 6 lessons of 50 minutes.<br /><br /> :o <br /><br />Sometimes it does be frustrating to learn jack.<br /><br />On the first day French I told the teacher in class that there was no point reading crap. <br />We had to put these stupidly simple phrases in order. <br /><br />And history the teacher was not even there. That's assuming that she would have made any difference. <br /><br />We have now 2 welsh lessons per week. And another in "Personal Social Education" in which drugs are thoroughly discussed (queue nuts "ahahh I jus' taken a bi' o' tha'! ahaaaaaaaa").<br /><br />Maths is usually the only productive lesson. But I do not see myself to be about to be an engineer or accountant etc. Not my passion.<br /><br />And my zeal for latin is unique because I am (honestly) thus. Physically at a first glance it seems that I be a normal not crazy yet slightly evil looking child. I know not why I be learning it. <br />My thinking is on a different level; often strange(not to say that this is better for I know not as yet). <br /><br />Homeschooling does tempt me. <br /><br />Alas! For I don't be allowed to stay at home and learn what I want despite it's being in my best interests! I am trapped and this makes me angry since 4 years. Waste of 4 years. <br /><br />Yet the government that makes a rule for nuts (the majority) and bombs the truck off Iraq doesn't allow the sane children to live well. Controls us.<br /><br />Sorry, rage. Coming. Out. <br />
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:58 am

From what I've observed of friends' kids being homeschooled, and kids going to school, the homeschooled kids learn a whole lot, and have the opportunity to encounter all the interesting "life in the real world" stuff through things like organized sports, guides/scouts, and so on... <br /><br />I learned stuff in publich school because I like learning. I learned nothing about how to relate to the rest of the human race, because what I saw of it convinced me that it's best left FAR away from me. (I may have been mistaken on this score....) Homeschooling wasn't an option, not because it wasn't available (I'm pretty sure it was; it just wasn't much talked about) but because my parents both worked, and if my mom had decided to teach the kids at home instead of sending us to school, there would have been some very bad scenes.... She didn't have the patience (and knew it!) and frankly, she and I have personalities that did Bad Things to each other while I was still at home.) Homeschooling isn't for everyone, for a whole lot of reasons. On the other hand, public school isn't the One Right Answer, either. Some of the experiments in "modern teaching methods" that show up on the block are truly scarey. So is the idea that "the way things were done last century **must** be wrong". New for the sake of new is not necessarily a good thing.<br /><br />Oops..... rant mode off again....<br /><br />Kilmeny<br /><br />
phpbb

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:03 pm

I completely agree that neither one is the One Right Answer. It depends on the child, the family situation, and the quality of local, available schools. <br /><br />My aunt has three girls and only homeschools one, because that one was having so much difficulty with public school and is now thriving at home. The other two are fine in public school. So it just depends.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:33 pm

Hmm... did my school come across as a bad school, where no one learns anything? ???<br />I do actually learn a hell of lot at school and in many different subjects as well (11 all in all, and before it was 16). Normally everyone pays attention in lessons and we learn a lot; not in every lesson, though. Religion or minor Maths for example, or any subject with a really bad teacher...<br />But otherwise we learn a bit too much, I think, in every subject really (except sociology, which is really easy and boring, but also frustrating, because some people are really dumb and know nothing at all...'Emma, help me! What the **** is communism?!?').<br />I used to hate History, but now I quite like it. I’ve learned so much in History last year I didn’t know before, and I’m not talking just dates like.
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:12 pm

UUhhh...did some one just write "like" as the last word of one's sentence :o
phpbb