From the Gallic War

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
elduce
Textkit Member

From the Gallic War

Post by elduce »

I'm working out of a book entitled Second Year Latin. It's divided into the Gallic War and Jesus' life. Concerning the Gallic War, I read a difficult sentence. In this instance, Caesar, having learned that the Gauls are moving through Cisalpine Gaul, takes action:

Contendit ab urbe proficisci et quam maximis potuit itineribus in Galliam Ulteriorem contendit.

The problem I have is the number of verbs, which doesn't seem to match the implied subject, Caesar. I translated:

He hastened to set out from the city [Rome] and on greatest possible routes he could he hastened toward Outer Gaul.

I don't see how 'potuit' fits in. It seems to stand alone without the usual complementary infinitive. Another thing is 'maximis itineribus,' which seems to be ablative of place where but uses no 'in' before.

Gratias tibi.
ego amo megaforce

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I can be mistaken, but I translated it as follows:

he hastened to further Gaul with as long marches as he could.

So: maximis itineribus is ablative of means, potuit explaining maximis itineribus.

Hope this helps

Ingrid

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Hi elduce, I've been reading from the Gallic Wars too, and I'll warn you that my Latin isn't that good. Is this from chapter seven in the first book? My edition has something different here: maturat ab urbe proficisci et quam maximis potest itineribus in Galliam ulteriorem contendit. The notes in my edition for quam maximis potest itineribus confirm what ingrid says: "by the longest possible marches." I'm using a second year book too, so perhaps one of them is trying to simplify things.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Nick! You're learning Latin now too? Congratulations! :)

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Hi Chris, yes, I've been working at Latin, although mostly as a tool for my Greek studies. It's fun to compare it with the Greek, and that makes it a little easier to learn actually. For instance, I was surprised about the very different place of participles in Latin. I'm hoping something will catch my fancy though, so I'll be motivated to speed my progress. Happy Holidays, N.

elduce
Textkit Member

Post by elduce »

Salvete swiftnicholas atque ingrid70,

Ingrid70: Thanks for your answer. I'm not sure whether you're right, but it's good to get opinions from other people. Do you understand why there are two 'contendit's? I don't.

Swiftnicholas: The book I'm working out of is not De Bello Gallico itself but excerpts from it. The book also seems to paraphrase and add punctuation. This is the reason for similarities between your book and mine. Thank you for helping me out.

El
ego amo megaforce