Femina and mulier

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Gustix
Textkit Neophyte

Femina and mulier

Post by Gustix »

Hello

Could somenone explain to me the difference between femina and mulier? Is there any difference in meaning and usage?

Thanks in advance,
Gustix

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Hi Gustix...

Both words are simply used to mean "a woman." However, you'll find that mulier is used much more often in that sense by Classical authors. Mulier also can be used to mean "wife" or "mature woman" as opposed to virgo. In that sense, you'll find it more synonymous with coniunx as opposed to femina, which mostly suggests a female of any age.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Gustix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gustix »

It sure helps :)

Thanks a lot!

Gustix

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

femina is a middle voice from the same route as fe-lix.
thus fe-menh (a). since it only occurs in a few forms damn i hate indian languages the root fe- must be something to do with all that which doth warm the heart. i conject that it is fe-llico from lico-ere-exi which means to entice, so felix, fortunate enticing all that which doth warm the hjärta, but that's probably wrong and ridiculous. definitely a middle voice though from an obscure root, as if this matters in real life though. peace out lads i'm off to a partay.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

A similar comparison may be made between Italian femmina and donna.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS