Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Post by Milito » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:23 pm

I've a cousin, now that you mention moving, who also homeschools her kids, for the very reason that moving makes it about the only way she's been able to. Her husband is an engineer and they have working in Newfoundland Canada, Edmonton Canada, Malaysia, Texas, and somewhere else overseas that I can't remember just now.... :P They move every couple years, so the kids are getting a great exposure to other cultures, geographies, and so on, but trying to bounce from school system to school system was just a logistical nightmare.....<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:17 am

I disagree.<br /> <br />A Public (free) school gives one the chance to see the real world of less 'elegant' more rowdy children. <br /><br />Yes one will possibly shot if in America; or spat on; or shouted at; or mocked; or beaten to the ground or depressed because of the surroundings and the less fortunate children.<br /><br />Go to public school it will either make a person stronger or turn them into a waste of life (drugs etc. etc.). If the latter then that is what they are destined to be. <br /><br />Staying home for school is just slapping away the real outdoors vigorously; trying to put it off: the fact that most things are poor. My school is awful it is a waste of time but I am glad that I go thither. I know not why as yet but there is something invisible that one acquires thence.<br /><br />Plus I learn latin and occasionally french at home when I return from school. It's all good<br /><br />My 2 cents (of Euros not dollars) so please don't hurt me!
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:38 pm

Hehe. I'm not going to hurt you, Episcopus! I just think that you speak of what you know not...<br /><br />I spent one year at a public school. I knew less at the end of the year than I had known at the beginning. The purpose of school (as I understand it; I may be wrong) is for learning. You don't learn at public schools here. You may learn a full-blown vocabulary of swear words, and a closetful of tricks for getting out of homework, but you don't learn at public school in America. Conversely, as I have the test scores to show, you learn in homeschooling. <br /><br />Now, mind you, that's only American public schools. I've never gone to school in England or Wales (you're from Wales, aren't you?) so of course I don't know what the conditions there are. I speak only for what I do know...public schools here do not deserve the name of schools. <br /><br />It may be different for you. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:10 pm

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=548;start=15#5223 date=1062545904]<br />I spent one year at a public school. I knew less at the end of the year than I had known at the beginning. <br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That's the fun of it! Learning nothing in a place filled with different people is educational in a twisted way. <br />I still think that 1 year in a big school isn't enough; it takes a while to 'like', or rather become accustomed to the place. <br /><br />It is quite different; we have the very occasional knife but no guns or stupid accidents or rampages:<br /><br />I likes going to school (as it is the law here until 16) as I do be yelled at by teachers who detest my attitude ("I've seen many like you before! You will never learn if you mess about and sleep! Clever comments will get you nowhere and you dare answer back you worthless child !!!") and say things that are the complete opposite of the truth. <br /><br />In Science lessons, for example, I throw pieces of rubber and sweets at people whom I dislike - every lesson. We do modules (AQA) of the double award: 2 each few months. <br />At the end of the 3 months 'studying' 2 topics of 2 different sciences I have literally no knowledge of what happens. And the papers are in the higher tier clever sometimes (more skills, maths, applied science accompanied by knowledge as opposed to just knowledge). <br />Because I am expected to have all highest grades in school and nothing less (then the Latin) I cover 3 months' lessons in 1 hour and it is really not taxing. And my brain does the rest with the funny applied questions. I do think that it's pathetic but I become satisfied when I hear teachers who believe themselves to be teaching something shouting at me for doing nothing. When the marks come through they congratulate me uneasily as they need high marks in their class to reflect a hopefully good teaching ability. ::) <br />Now I must acknowledge their coming to leave me alone which is beneficial to my extreme raging anger and hatred levels. Strangely yet unsurprisingly, teachers seem to ignore those who experience difficulty. I mentioned it once and was suspended for a day ("support unit", traditionally for nuts).<br /><br />I like my french teacher very much; she is not the typical egotistical teacher and helps everyone. <br />However the syllabus that she must follow states that grammar is not to be covered! For this reason the class are taught about 5 set phrases per topic and about 10 words. <br />It is pathetic. Even the most intelligent of children I asked to say "I can go to school" (simple modal+infin) and they said themselves to know not. I was not surprised as we have not in class covered anything as 'complex' as this. <br />So my knowledge of french which does include the subjunctive, although limited in vocabulary through no fault of my own, is never strengthened in class. And I don't even study french at all in the house to be honest; sometimes I may have a short look at a very bad dictionary grammar (but I loves her she is my friend) whence I know very well the subjunctive. Nothing to do with the fact that if the french subjunctive were a woman she would be married by me. <br />But seriously I agrees with Raya; syllabi tie one down - to an insane extent in languages :'( <br /><br />So much can be done in 3 months - I am aiming to finish Professor D'Ooge's book by October. That is a 2 year GCSE course in Latin but far better (only recognition of simple frequently used subjunctive clauses is required at 16 years old). <br /><br /><br />As for nasty language, other good people and I try a lot to make people stop swearing, we likes creativity and funny childish things. Now most (apart from the really crazy nuts who say frumentum more than 3 times in each sentence) use the much nicer "truck"; and, in the place of many many things (whether they be crude or not) "bishop" is there or the french "évêque" in certain set phrases. The popular slang french "Ta Mère" had been introduced before any one knew of its popularity in france (I have just been to france and 5 year old children screamed this into the night and also 18 year old girls). "Your mother" is omnipresent aswell instead of a much nastier american insult :-\<br /><br />Speaking of mothers, I just could not be taught by mine even if she were to have academic knowledge anymore or indeed the time. Correct me if I am wrong, as I have assumed that you are being taught by your mother<br /><br />What about your school? How many bedrooms has-it?<br /><br />One learns much. There is something unique about strafing (like I cat was I!) in order to dodge a badly driven bus which was supposed to be stopping!
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:48 pm

Wow, you're school doesn't sound like a very good one. I thought Wales had the same school system as England???.<br />Anyway I went to an English school for some time and it wasn't rubbish at all. Sounds like you should be going to a grammar school.<br /><br />In Germany they don't support home schooling, but that means that some poor lad in the middle of nowhere has a school to himself. It’s two rooms and a courtyard; one classroom and the others for chemistry and stuff like that. The yard is for football (his sport lessons). He’s got one teacher who teaches him in every subject, all paid for by the government. <br />There is nothing else the German government can do, as there are no tests you could pass, half the mark is how you behave in class and participate in the lesson (hey, Episcopus! don't think you'd like that, would you ;)).<br /><br />The school I go to now is well... I hate going to school, but it's not too bad. It’s not the school's fault I don't like going to school...<br />There’s no problem with bullying or knives or stuff (though quite a few do carry knives around with them, I used to, too, but that was only a fad. I don't actually know if they carry knives in the lower classes, just we used to do it, and practise throwing them at trees in the cathedral gardens. I was really bad at it, though).<br />Drugs, though. My school is one of the main sources and probably has the most drugs consumers (or second most, Kolb School may have more) in town. I don't mind that though. Why should it worry me? One of the guys in my physics/greek/ethics/philosophy/art classes (who's the son of my philosophy and history teacher) is a dealer, but he's also a nice guy. And nearly everyone I know takes drugs.
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:56 pm

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=548;start=15#5255 date=1062600520]<br />I used to, too....I...carry knives...just we used to do it, I...practise throwing them at the lower classes in the cathedral gardens.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Pretty crazy there Emma ;)<br />You're still in school?<br /><br />Grammar schools are gone! <br /><br />The strange thing is that the school to which I must go is by far the best in the area :o<br /><br />Some of the other schools are just full of sin!
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:09 pm

Yeah, most grammar schools in Brittan are gone, though not all of them. If my parents hadn't moved to Germany I would have gone to Torbay Girls Grammar. Though I’m glad I didn't have to go to a girls school... urggg ... terrible.<br /><br />Yeah, I’m still at school. Still learning everything I’ll never need in life (like Latin and ancient Greek and sociology and German... ;).)<br />It’s the best school in the state. No loos right now; the sports hall is being used, even though it was closed down last year, due to the fact that the back wall was unsafe. They’re letting us use it again with the warning not to touch the back wall or we'll be killed. We used to push at the wall and it would move by like half a meter or so. We thought it was fun, but of course it was very dangerous as the building's 100 years old, and very instable :P.<br />Every one at my school's crazy, no one sane goes there. We thought it was fun playing with knives, and less dangerous by far than doing sport in the sports hall :-)
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:37 pm

Germans... :o<br /><br />Everyone takes drugs? Throwing Knives? <br /><br />They think life is James Bond?
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:39 pm

Lol, forgot to mention all the Vodka.
phpbb

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:41 pm

Every one at my school's crazy, no one sane goes there. We thought it was fun playing with knives, and less dangerous by far than doing sport in the sports hall :-)
<br /><br />"Sane = dull" in schools. Yup. ;)