And now for something completely, er, not exactly different

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
annis
Textkit Zealot

And now for something completely, er, not exactly different

Post by annis »

In two weeks will be the 4th birthday of Aoidoi.org. I started my reacquaintance with Greek about two years before that, which means Smyth and the Middle Liddell have been my constant companions for nearly six years now. Honestly, I've gotten a bit tired of them.

Now, I can no more stop studying language, and Greek in particular, than I could stop breathing. But I am pulling back a bit on language studies for a good while. The only people likely to notice anything different are the few who pay close attention to the pace of publication at Aoidoi — new poems from me will be coming more slowly for a while.

Since I don't have a TV, much of my leisure time at home is spent reading. (Well, I can play DVDs on my computer, and I let friends tell me about the best TV shows, and watch them after the fact. A friend recently lent me the first season of "Deadwood" which I love absolutely. But now I have to be careful about what I call my coworkers.) Even though I'm less quick to seek out obscure monographs on, say, Greek verbs, I am reading a lot more history these days, and an awful lot of that is Greek and Roman history.

All of this is a long-winded way of asking if fellow Textkittens would be interested in reviews from me on classics related books I've read. Green's "Alexander to Actium" was my bedside reading for something like three months, and I recently finished "The Fall of Rome: And the End of Civilization" by Ward-Perkins. Anyone want to hear about them?
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

I have just finished Ward-Perkins. It would be interesting to hear your opinion. I am not really entitled to having one, since I rarely read anything on history. One could simply fool me into believing pretty much anything within this shifty domain of knowledge :)
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

I would be interested in your view on those books.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I'd be interested in hearing about them. I am quite fond of Greek History. I've read a few books about the Caesars and about Alexander the Great (my second favorite character in history next to Jesus) and have found them fascinating and enriching.

Funny, I've recently read a couple of books that I've been thinking about interacting with people on the forum about. One was Darwin on Trial which I thought was pretty interesting. The guy who wrote it is a lawyer, and (P. Johnson) he looks at modern views on Darwinism, and what it lacks from an evidential standpoint. I don't think his point is to completely debunk it, but he has some serious questions about it. Right now I'm taking my college's Anthropology Course...ACS (Anthropology, Christology, and Soteriology). My prof is a former Darwinist who has a degree in forest ecology. He has done his best to set forth an unbiased display of current Darwinistic Theory, in cluding Neo-Darwinism, and Punctuated Equilibrium. I found it to be very interesting stuff.

Hmmmm......maybe I should start another thread....

Anyhow....review away William, I for one would love to hear it.

William
Textkit Fan

Re: And now for something completely, er, not exactly differ

Post by William »

annis wrote:IAll of this is a long-winded way of asking if fellow Textkittens would be interested in reviews from me on classics related books I've read. Green's "Alexander to Actium" was my bedside reading for something like three months, and I recently finished "The Fall of Rome: And the End of Civilization" by Ward-Perkins. Anyone want to hear about them?
I read the mammoth Alexander to Actium and would be curious to hear your take.

WB

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Very interested - and especially from someone with your background knowledge.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Ok William...now that we are all waiting with baited breath......

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

annis wrote:A friend recently lent me the first season of "Deadwood" which I love absolutely. But now I have to be careful about what I call my coworkers.)
I love that show...you need to watch all three seasons (but not out of order!). I understand what you mean...too much of that show at once and it can irrevocably change your vocabulary!
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

annis wrote:Green's "Alexander to Actium" was my bedside reading for something like three months, and I recently finished "The Fall of Rome: And the End of Civilization" by Ward-Perkins.
I have time for new bedside reading. Which one do you recommend: Alexander or Rome?

To elaborate: both subjects are of interest to me, so my question would be which one is the better read, when it comes to style of writing etc..

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

perispomenon wrote:To elaborate: both subjects are of interest to me, so my question would be which one is the better read, when it comes to style of writing etc..
Green is a far more engaging writer. Which is good, since "Alexander to Actium" is the larger book by hundreds of pages. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Can you recommend any general histories of Ancient Rome and Greece? I have no experience in this area and I need a good introduction to it.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

For Greece you might look at John Fine's "The Ancient Greeks: A Critical History". At 736 pages, it might be longer than what you're after, especially if you want to read on Rome too, but it's one of the best single volume histories that I've read (not quite done yet).

Best, N.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

swiftnicholas wrote:For Greece you might look at John Fine's "The Ancient Greeks: A Critical History". At 736 pages, it might be longer than what you're after, especially if you want to read on Rome too, but it's one of the best single volume histories that I've read (not quite done yet).
I'm willing to read a book on each period, and that one looks great. I'll probably look into it this winter.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

annis you don't have a tv? that is odd but nor do i now. have you ever been inspired to do something crazy? like write a lot of verses, as you no doubt could?