saluete

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

saluete

Post by Episcopus »

---------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Re: saluete

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Episcopus wrote: Kopio stop downloading pictures of naked flowers.
LOL!

It's good to see you back :D

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Episcopus wrote:starting october i will be studying classics, for 3 years, at cambridge.
Congratulations! That's really fantastic, Episcope. Will you study text criticism at the feet of Prof. Diggle?

Which College? τὸ τοῦ Λευκογδοάδου;
annis of course (i would like you to pilot a textbook i have in progress, well, depending on your language interests),
Anything but Volapük.

--
wm,
who is jealous

Hu

Post by Hu »

Episcopus wrote:most people nowadays are new to this forum, so few might recognise.
I'm one of those new people, but I recognize your name from looking up some old threads.
but d'ooge is a solid textbook. it serves well: the first lessons covering the basics of english grammar make it accessible to those who are unaware of standard english. if any one new to the forum is reading this, please just complete latin for beginners, by d'ooge.
I agree; I'm using it to supplement Lingua Latina. I use LL to develop reading comprehension and D'Ooge to learn new grammar.
starting october i will be studying classics, for 3 years, at cambridge.
Wow! Congratulations and good luck.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Episcopus wrote:Kopio stop downloading pictures of naked flowers.

shout outs to all those from back in the old days: mariek (when are you going to complete a textbook my dear!), milito (ubicumque milites), cweb2 to the 55 (the one and only), raya, annis of course (i would like you to pilot a textbook i have in progress, well, depending on your language interests), benissimus (whose constant help in the latin forum was commendable) , klewlis, even keesa and puella parva, thucydidididides the oxonian, whiteoctave the most proud cantabrigian, mingshey, ggg, kynetus, "fierywrath", bellum paxque, eureka, emma 85, lucus eques and hans orberg.
Oh, I see how it is....you make fun of Kopio, but give a big shout out to all the rest. Hmmmmm....I seem to remember lobbying Jeff to give you back avatar rights....not to mention the innumerable complaint laden e-mails I had to reply to about this "Crazy Epi", and how I really needed to censure him since I'm one of the Open board mods.

Just for that, I think it is time to post some new flowers. Oh yes, and before I forget.....I've been BBQing some incredible protien lately Epi, not the kind a kid from Wales is likely to ever see.....I'll have to post a picture or two for you to salivate over :D

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

--------------------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Congratulations Episcopus! I had supposed that in your absence you were chasing silly little girls through the sweetie shops, but rather it was on Cambridge that you had your eyes. Surely this means that we'll see you posting on the Greek side more often? Best of luck, and keep writing.

~N

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Episcopus wrote:i unlike benissimus have not renounced this place.
:shock:

did I miss something while I was away? (or are you joking, as usual!)

congrats on starting at Cambridge, epi!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

----------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Lucius Episcopo s.d.p.

Tibi congratulor, amice, quod uiam tuam futuram in rebus classicis studendis perplane intellexisti. Nempe tibi exopto omnem fortunam ac laetus exspectabo scripta tua in annalibus mundi classicis.

Vale atque uale.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Mmmmmmm.....BBQ Chicken....Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I actually smoked this for about 9 hours, it was falll apart tender and loaded with smoky goodness.

How ya like me now Epi??? ;)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Episcopus wrote:klewlis, you remind me that i can not run very far, my lack of endurance is grave.
It takes practice, just like languages! :)
anyway, benissimus after tirelessly helping beginners in the learning latin forum has realised that a more social life is far more entertaining, of which and with which i on one hand approve and empathize, but on the other do not, though martial might.
oh, I'm glad that it's a social life that took him away--at least he will outgrow that and return to his first love someday. I feared from your original statement that he left on bad terms.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I am so glad to see you back Episcopus - and with such good news! I thought you may have been abducted by aliens (or vice versa!) but you were just working to get to Cambridge. A pity you didn't decide to study at the University of Adelaide - you would certainly add interest to the place. However I am sure you will be a welcome addition to Cambridge.

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Let me go out of lurking to congratulate you Epi. I am glad that Cambridge has recognized your potential. I will be back to read up about your adventures with whiteoctave. :D

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

carissime Episcope,

The forum really hasn't been the same without you, benissimus, and whiteoctave, all of whom seemed to vanish around the same time. Fortunately, others have shouldered the burden of answering all questions in the Latin forum (provided that they are courteously and properly asked).

Many congratulations to you on your acceptance to Cambridge; and conversely my sympathy with you on the dissolution, if such it be, of your relationship. But may I refer you to John Donne, who has some helpful thoughtstouching on the subject?

You may be surprised, if you don't know already, that I'm teaching English in Korea.

(But Tityre, recubans patulae sub tegmine fagi!... as the aforementioned line, retrieved from memory and from Vergil's first eclogue shows, I'm not abandoning Latin but rather embracing it, while also trying to learn conversational Korean.)

With respect and affection,

David

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Salve Episcope!

So did you do the now-deceased AQA Latin at A-level, or are you on the no-A-level-classics-necessary course up in Cambridge?

Well good luck in Clare's (nice little college, but beware of little East End of London types on school trips [like me]), and hope you can break out of Indo-Europa soon.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

------------------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Congrats on getting into Cambridge!!! Wicked cool. I was wondering what happened to you. Good to see you back here as well.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Congratulations! I knew you'd get the grades when you told me you had an offer. How could you not, hehehe!
Just be careful with those green, fluffy vegetables - they have a horrible taste, so try not to aim at someone's mouth :P

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

------------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

A new thread, indeed!
bellumpaxque, i was indeed aware of your station in the east and i am pleased at your shedding the shackles of that altaev anus indo-european.
episcopus recommends that you acquire a beautiful and becoming korean girl. how urban is your situation?
I may be well on my way toward acquiring the aforementioned girl, though, ahem, she's a little older than me.

My situation is very urban, though on the outskirts of Seoul, the capital. Seoul is densely populated, one of the largest cities of the world, of course, so even the periphery is crammed to bursting. The nice part about all this is that it's never more than two minute's walk to the closest bar.

-David

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

well done bishopric

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

----------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

I must say, care episcope, your posts are rather easier to read than they used to be.

welcome back

-Jon

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

------------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola »

Congrats, Epi! Have fun studying Classics at Cambridge, it sounds wonderful.

That being said, I seem to recall that you're an Oxford man.

;)

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

just as long as she is not too old bellum.
Well... no, she's not too old (but too old to/for what?)

Good luck on your elegiac exploration, and I'm most fervently looking forward to the eventual arrival of the verse comp book you've found. I hope the transmission and electronic conversion don't take too long.

Best wishes,

David

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Episcope, my striking inscription is now quite faded and labled as a 'brand' by the Marine Corps. I have lost count of the many times I've had to explain the difference that a long 'a' can make in a word, and explain why 'ma:lus' applies more to me than it's shorter counterpart... :lol:

sadly, in reguards to my poem in amore, it be true. I still try to write little ditties in more classic metres, but I think myself a bit slow in the ol' gulliver to write a real horrorshow poemam. but I dabble in Ovid and Orberg. but, alas, a lack of time from a demand for financial capital and physical fitness, together, quite hinder my progress. but I read more in latin than in english... i don't know if that's bad or good.

I look forward to your composition book. you say a book of verses would be worth more than a good lubbilubbing cum aliqua devotchka. I heartily concur, and would ad that a verse comp. book would nae be a bad start, o thou ol' droog.

-Jon

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

thou ol' droog.
Is your literary diet based on mechanical citrus fruits these days, Deudeditus?

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

Deudeditus wrote:I look forward to your composition book. you say a book of verses would be worth more than a good lubbilubbing cum aliqua devotchka. I heartily concur, and would ad that a verse comp. book would nae be a bad start, o thou ol' droog.
he always reminded me of that speak too

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

warpeaceque, you wouldn't believe how fun it is to watch people's faces when you say-
well well wellywelly well!... real dobby groodies that devotchka has. I mean theyre real horrorshow molok'soomkas.
I mean it's lewd, but it's the only off-the-cuff phrase I've ever said... so I'm proud, I guess.

-Jon

go here. it's pretty cool. nice programme, too.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Deudeditus wrote:warpeaceque, you wouldn't believe how fun it is to watch people's faces when you say-
well well wellywelly well!... real dobby groodies that devotchka has. I mean theyre real horrorshow molok'soomkas.
I mean it's lewd, but it's the only off-the-cuff phrase I've ever said... so I'm proud, I guess.

-Jon
Ok...once I figured that out, it was rather funny! dobby groodies....I like it!

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Yeah, Deu, I've had my share of friends (and myself is included) who were tempted and sometimes successfully too to speak in the strange slang of Burgess's charming imps. Great find with the program, by the way. I plan to forward the link to a few people I know.

post scriptum - Episcopo paruum nuntium: so I got the girl.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

-------------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Episcopus wrote:i don't know what strange language some one in this thread reminds some one of, for once it is i who am lost.
They're referring to Nadsat, from Burgess' A Clockwork Orange.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

----------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Episcopus wrote:emma,

you really should have posted a similar topic. was machtest du, während du von textkit hinausgeschlupft warst? you german will be impressed i had ~99% in my german reading and writing examination. this should indicate that i might not need a little help in german in the near future, however it is quite the inverse, if you do not mind. ich would write this auf german but pronouns and prepositions are all you are going to receive for my german vocabulary isn't even bollocks, it's just a bollock. nevertheless, form is only the other aspect of good writing; the other being content: the author of harry potter writes like a dog but her stories have captured the hearts of many a little girl. ovid lays down some sweet verses, versus i say, elegiacs i say, but most of the time he talks smelly poo. don't tell whiteoctave i said that, he might chide me with his cane of wisdom wrapped in 75 brown medals and kisses from the cambridge classics faculty in the gay aftermath of his exponentially starred first. anyway, i think my excellent german is a result of the following:

eins umlauts on imperfect subjunctives of weak verbs
zwei ridiculous overuse of particles
tribus the termination of every paragraph with 'gutes wurst'
vier incorrect determination of verbal compounds involving the prefix 'ver-' (e.g. verschneiden 'to circumcise', vertreten 'to have two left feet', versein 'to be gay', vereinigen 'to cause to be a siamese twin', versprechen 'to talk bollocks')
funfabusive compound (particularly nominal) formations: (e.g. vereingänger 'participant [in debauchery]', hinausverschlupfer 'piece of poo', zweiunddreissigbiermäßebiernachwurstenfreundin 'a german woman' etc.)

thus i honestly can not read any german but then again, who is to say that my compounds be incorrect? a german person? sechzig tausend deutsche biertrinkenden menschen?
the language is rich in that it is quite onomatopoeic thus i simply eject without thought, was in meinem Herz liegt. naturally a lot of words begin with sch- and completely unnecessary umlauts are rife, but this is the new way forward for a language which very few in this country are choosing at the moment. thank you emma bailey.
Hehehe! :lol: I'm glad you got a good grade in German and you're right, it will stand out on any job appication that you did German A-level as so few people choose to do it - so it's a good language to take.

I've not had reliable internet connection for some time now, but before then, believe me I was around and checked in occasionally. I just hate the fact that textkit only seems to remember me for a week before I have to log in again - it just leads to me never logging in for some reason, so you can't see if I'm looking at the board or not :wink: .

Been very busy at uni - lots of work to do, lots of parties to go to, I also have a part time job to afford it all, a research project on flexible organic tranistors... then I also had to get my heart broken three times at uni... oh, and if you are ever in London you have to visit Roadhouse in Covent Garden on a Wednesdays! And Phase at King's College on a Friday's... and on a sundays watch me fail to kick the ball in a football match in Hyde Park against rivarly Halls... the usual :wink: .

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

---------------
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

No horse has even ridden by my house out here in the countryside, jet loads do every week in London! :lol:
You are forgetting your history! London used to run on horse drawn carriages - not all the horses are gone, they haven't destroyed all the stables. Still loads of stables hidden away in London and lots of people take their horses past the five story victorian building I live in at the weekend to ride them in Hyde Park.
Personally I never liked horses. They scare me. They're too big. And dangerous looking. :shock:

But we have a fox who lives in our back garden in London and some tame squirrels live there too. They so cute! :P

I miss London, stupid holidays :lol: ! Bloody annoying countryside! :wink: It's just filled with a crap public transportation network, no supermarket in the villages and prejudiced and intolerant people :lol:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Emma_85 wrote: I just hate the fact that textkit only seems to remember me for a week before I have to log in again -
Maybe the textkit system only remembers you for a week but we textkittens have not forgotten you.