Salvete - from another new member

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
ioel
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete - from another new member

Post by ioel »

Hi, I just registered with the forums and would like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself.

I'm a computer science graduate, and am now making video games. So, as one who spent all his time in the engineering buildings and never set foot in a classics course, I seem like an unlikely candidate for a classicist, but while going to school I became fascinated by Greek and began to teach myself. Then 2 years ago, with a group of others, I went through Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. Immediately after completeing the book, however, I became occupied by my other studies, and finding a job. I intend to one day continue my pursuit of Biblical Greek and hopefully one day Attic Greek as well. More recently, however, as I've had more free time, I got a copy of Wheelock's Latin, and started teaching myself Latin. I'm up to chapter 24, and proceeding well. My current plan is to finish Wheelock's and perhaps read through some other grammars, and get a bunch of reading under my belt, before diving back into Greek. (Then maybe Hebrew, but I suppose that's a different website... :-) )

I thought this site and forum seemed like a good place to get support and get connected with others. I look forward to getting to know you.

Valete

jjhayes84
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jjhayes84 »

Greetings ioel,

I too used to be a comp. sci. major, but I soon dropped that in favor of the languages. Good luck with the Hebrew. Semitic languages are a totally different world from Greek/Latin--a good world though! When I first started Hebrew I was a bit discouraged, but like with any language, the more you work at it, the more enjoyable and rewarding your work becomes.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Re: Salvete - from another new member

Post by cdm2003 »

ioel wrote:I'm a computer science graduate, and am now making video games.
Salve ioel! Pleased to meet you!

I am very jealous, being at one point or another a comp sci major. I wish me and my comp sci friends could have been making video games with our acquired skill sets, but we were too busy rearranging each other's FORTRAN punch-card stacks for fun. :roll: I always loved it when someone tripped near the card-reader and all their code went flying through the air. Good times...good times...

Agrippa
Textkit Member

Post by Agrippa »

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit!!!

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I think what Mariek meant to say is

"Welcome to Textkit" :)

Indeed, welcome. I envy you, making video games....that's a profession that many of us who still feel like big kids would love to have. What kinda stuff are you working on currently?? Or can you divulge that :roll:

I hope you enjoy your stay.

jjhayes84
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jjhayes84 »

Agrippa wrote:The biggest difficulty is its completely foreign vocabulary. Occasionally you'll come across something like yah-yin which could where oinos came from, but otherwise, the words are totally unrelated.
That's exactly it. Some of the mnemonic devices I've come up with to remember words are quite humorous.

ioel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ioel »

Kopio wrote:I envy you, making video games....that's a profession that many of us who still feel like big kids would love to have. What kinda stuff are you working on currently??
Actually I can't yet say what we're working on. The game industry likes to wait a long time before announcing new projects. I can say that I worked on Call of Duty 2.