Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Post by klewlis » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:24 am

oh yes I guess bc wasn't as helpful--I was homeschooled there and we did have to pay for all the stuff but we also got to choose what we used... I ended up back in public school for the last three years and wrote the provincials there.<br /><br />Alberta doesn't have provincial exams, to my knowledge, and my younger brother and sister are currently being homeschooled here. <br /><br />As for socialization, my brother is in air cadets and absolutely loves it, and they are both in music lessons and such. There are also lots of activities exclusively for homeschooled kids, where they get together and do things like putting on plays and going on field trips (we also had that in BC but it wasn't as prominent waaaaaaaay back then!).

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:29 am

ps: what would possess your friend to move from edmonton to peace river????? I wouldn't do it for a million dollars (well I might, provided I was allowed to move right back in a few weeks...)<br /><br />I spent 8 months (cumulative) working in Peace River as a student because my dad lives there... hated it, dirty awful little town... I certainly wouldn't want to raise kids there... they have more bars and drugs per capita than I've seen across northern alberta and bc... and Edmonton is so pretty and wonderful and perfect... :)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:48 am

Milito:<br />Ontario badly discouraged homeschooling - school funding there is also based on enrollment, which may have had something to do with it - and wanted school board members to be able to drop in at any time to see how the teaching was going. (Note that school board members don't have to be any more educationally qualified than anyone else in society! They just have to get elected!) <br /><br /><br />Yes, Ontario is probably the most negative homeschooling environment in Canada. The enrollment quotas are insane and due to its funding ties, board members or even teachers in general often discourage parents who wish to homeschool. Case in point: This year I'll be paying about $650 CDN for books for 1st year university courses, a friend of mine who will be entering Gr. 12 and is homeschooled is paying over $1500 for books b/c the tax breaks her parents are entitled to do not cover curriculum material. Ever since Mike Harris (former Premier of Ontario) introduced standardized provincial testing those who are homeschooled have had a measure of "freedom" taken away. <br />While I would have loved the opportunity to delve into topics that actually held my interest, I must admit that I enjoyed "slacking off" from time to time. :)<br /><br />Keesa: Are one or both of your parents certified teachers? Most Americans I know rail against their area public schools so I doubt the problem is isolated in Alabama.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:08 am

I don't think very highly of the school systems anywhere in America, myself, but the Alabama system is the only one I'm even vaguely familiar with, and I know it isn't worth a thing. <br /><br />No, neither of my parents are teachers, unfortunately. I wish they were; it would have simplified things. Instead I was required to stay with my cover school until I was sixteen. <br /><br />Other than the cover school requirement and the standardized tests every couple of years (which may be national requirements, and not limited to Alabama) it's actually a very good and friendly environment for homeschoolers. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:27 pm

I must admit that what I’ve heard of schools in America, they really don't seem to be that good. Loads of people here went off to America for one year. Now they've returned with excellent high school certificates, for which they apparently did nothing at all. All year long they just partied and got top grades anyway, and they say they learned absolutely nothing in that one year (and they had to pay for going to school there! imagine, they paid to go to a private school and they taught them zero!).<br />You’re probably getting a much better education at home, though I’m sure there must be some good schools in America.<br /><br />When you say you want to study at oxford, I suppose you mean oxford uni in England? If you want to get in there you have to prepare a lot and do a lot of research, unless you know someone who has been to school there. It’s really hard to get in there with out the backing of a private school or the advise of someone who went there themselves. I’m going to try for Cambridge, but I don't expect I’ll have much luck and I don’t know anyone who could help me either.<br />The thing is, you'll have to apply via UCAS (at least normally you have, may be different for overseas), and you also have to apply to a college, not the university itself. And there are so many colleges to choose from, you'll want to look them up on the Oxford uni website and find out which one you want to go to. Don’t make the mistake of applying to the uni, you'll have less chance of getting in then.<br /><br />Then again... if it's classics you want to study... not too many people will be trying for classics so you may be in luck. <br />I don't mean to put you off or anything, just trying to help :-) .
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:35 pm

I say I want to "study at Oxford" only because I haven't yet decided on the specific college. (It's still several years away yet.) I am taking special care to prepare for it, both in the undergraduate courses I plan to take here in the States, in the amount of research I'm doing, and in the extracurricular activities I plan to participate in one I get into college here. I spend a lot of my life these days on their website.<br /><br />What is "UCAS"? I don't think I've ever heard of that... <br /><br />Thanks for your advice. I'm always on the lookout for good suggestions! <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:46 pm

UCAS is terrible! it's a government institution. when i want to apply to a uni i have to do it through UCAS. so i have to fill in an UCAS form with like my top 10 unis i want to go to. they'll send my details to all the unis and then tell me if my 1st choice is interested. if they don't like the sound of me then they'll tell me that my 2nd choice is interested and so on. <br />it's very annoying and confusing! <br />go to www.ucas.ac.uk to find out more about this stupid system.
phpbb

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:03 pm

Down with UCAS! ;D<br /><br />I have to agree with you, Emma - for some people, UCAS is a blessing b/c they only have to write one personal statement and so on - though I'd have preferred to contact each uni individually, tailoring what I send to the character of each uni...<br /><br />To Keesa: for undergraduate degrees, applying to Oxford (or any UK university) happens through UCAS no matter where in the world you are. For postgraduate degrees, however - such as if you are applying after getting a first degree in the US - I believe you apply directly to the university.<br /><br />On homeschooling:<br />This has been a fascinating thread so far, but one thing hasn't come up (interestingly enough) is what happens when you move! I should think homeschooling certainly is an advantage there; having moved internationally 6 times and having attended 9 different schools, sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off homeschooled.<br /><br />I also often get the feeling that education is hindered when you're tied down to a syllabus. Granted, some amount of structure is necessary and having certain topics suggested can be a big help - but some systems are so stringent. There's so much prescribed material there is no time for asides, and your thoughts are on meeting the exam/coursework requirements than actually *learning* the material!<br /><br />
phpbb

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:38 pm

homeschooling is very appealing to families that move a lot... and moving is very appealing to families that homeschool... i know my mom always wished we could afford to go on trips everywhere so that we could turn them into educational experiences... in fact last spring she took my little brother and sister on a roadtrip down to the grand canyon, stopping also at the cliff dwellings and other interesting places. it was very educational and she wrote an article on it for the local homeschooling magazine... so that's cool.<br /><br />while i definitely agree that education needs to be flexible and adaptive, i also think we can't sacrifice the core elements... a lot of homeschooling tends towards "let them study what interests them" and they miss out on a lot of stuff that way. i know that had i only learned what i *liked* when i was a kid, i wouldn't have learned the grammar, logic, and communication skills that were forced into me... and today i am so thankful to have them.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:44 pm

I've only moved once in the last ten years (exactly ten years ago, actually) but yes, homeschooling is easier to move with. You just grab your books and go. I didn't move far enough to have to change my cover school; I imagine it would make it a little more difficult, but I can't speak to that from personal experience. <br /><br />Every two years, you have to take a standardized test that has certain subjects on it. As long as you pass the test, the government really doesn't care how you learn the subjects. I probably have the strangest curriculum in the world, but I've really learned the material, and I do well on the tests. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb