My own principle (not based on Freuds)

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:My own principle (not based on Freuds)

Post by benissimus » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:28 pm

Good thing this was only a discussion about Jesus and not D'ooge! ::)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:24 am

(I promised not to post on an inflammable topic as religion, but let me call it "a cold scholarly topic" 8))<br /><br />
<br />I don't agree with this. For one thing, Jesus never was accepted among the Jewish religion as a whole. (Those Jews who do believe that he was the promised Messiah of Old Testament prophecy are known as Messianic Jews, and I understand that they're in the minority.)
<br /><br />Yes, I meant the minority by "jewish cult", not the traditional judaism. It's more proper to say "the jewish version of the cult". It was so different in its nature from the judaism and never got popular among jews. But in greek and roman society the cult was so familiar and readily accepted without hesitation.<br /><br />
I am not quite sure what you mean by "well known among Biblical scholars" or "tons of other books". Admittedly, I've never read The Jesus Mysteries, so I'm a little at sea here... I'm familiar with another book that deals with the topic that (I think! ) you're dealing with, but unfortunately it was a borrowed book; as I remember, it's called "The Second Babylon."
<br /><br />The egyptian origin was already suggested since renaissance era, though open discussion of such issue was a taboo in christian europe. But serious students of biblical studies cannot miss it. Freke(author of The Jesus Mysteries) says his work is of no novelty. He only collected and summarized the works of already-present biblical studies.<br /> <br />P.S.<br />James Frazer's "The Golden Bough" is a strong recommendation if you're interested in this topic, tho' I didn't read it myself yet. Beware, nevertheless, it may weigh a good portion of a ton!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:56 am

I was drooling at the amazon site for Frazer's "The Golden Bough" several times.<br />But it seems that the abridged version is in the public domain.<br />The Golden Bough at the Project Gutenberg, or a section by section, more readible version in html: The Golden Bough.<br />And an introduction with the picture of Turner's The Golden Bough"<br /><br />