Salvete - From a new member

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
sokabs
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete - From a new member

Post by sokabs »

Hello to all. I have just joined the forums here at Textkit and would like to introduce my self and say, "hi."

I am an archaeaology student and technology consultant from southwest Michigan. I have always been interested in classics, and am currently focusing my archaeological research on culture change in Rome's Provincia Arabia (mostly modern Jordan). I am quite familiar with the archaeology and ancient history of the near east, but have little knowledge of Greek or Latin. To begin resolving this serious deficit, I am currently enrolled in an Intensive Beginning Latin course at the University of Notre Dame, which begins in less than a week. I look forward to it, and look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks to Textkit.com for such a great selection of resources!

Darrell Rohl

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Interesting studies, Darrell. Welcome and good luck with your intensive Latin.

WB

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

I second the good wishes, sokabs. Welcome to Textkit :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit! And Good Luck on your Latin course!

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Live long and prosper. And learn Latin, of course.

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Salve, amice nove!

Good luck with the intensive Latin course! I almost took an intensive Greek course this summer...so I'll be excited to hear about your experience.

-David

sokabs
Textkit Neophyte

First day of Intensive Latin

Post by sokabs »

Well, I had my first day of Intensive Beginning Latin at the University of Notre Dame today. The course is using Wheelock's as a reference text book, although we aren't going through it systematically, and won't really be doing many of the exercises from it, as it's "not particularly well-suited for an intensive course." This seems fine with me. I already own the book, and will continue to use it to augment what I'm learning in class and from the assignments.

The class has about 20 students, most of whom I believe are normal Notre Dame students. I am not, although I happen to live about 15 minutes from their campus. Here is what we covered today:

Background on Classical Latin, and why we are studying this as opposed to Ecclesiastical Latin. Latin pronunciation and practice (with lots of problems for everyone forgetting to pronounce the "V" correctly!). Review of English parts of speech (nouns, verbs, gerunds, conjunctions, etc.). Latin verb system -- description of verbs, principal parts, and question words (-ne, num and nonne). Present System conjugations (1st and 2nd). The verb, "sum."

By tomorrow morning, we are supposed to:
-- Have the 1st and 2nd conjugations memorized for Present, Imperfect and Future tenses.
-- Understand how to ask single-verb questions and answer with appropriately conjugated verb.
-- Memorize the following vocabulary (including 4 principle parts of any verbs): ambulo, cogito, et, erro, hic, hodie, maneo, non, -ne, nonne, num, numquam, pugno, sed, semper, sum, timeo, and video.

We also have a homework assignment that goes through some of this, and has 25 English sentences to translate into Latin. These sentences range from "Am I?" to "I'll never wander, but I won't always stay here." (I think proper translations would be: "Sumne?" and "Numquam errabo, sed non semper manebo hic." Am I right, or at least close?)

It seems to me like this really will end up being intense, but I'm looking forward to it. The instructor seems to know his Latin well, and promises to be quite helpful in getting us to learn and love "that soft bastard Latin, which melts like kisses from a female mouth" (Lord Byron, from Wheelock's 6th ed.). I look forward to this journey. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes over the next 7 weeks.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

They're fine sokabs, if a bit English-word-ordery (the 2nd), but that will be taken care of with time.

sokabs
Textkit Neophyte

Intensive class is complete!

Post by sokabs »

Well, my intensive latin course at the University of Notre Dame is now completed. It was a tough 6 weeks, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I am really amazed by how much was learned during such a short period, but I am now well on my way towards more advanced studies of Latin. And, I got an A in the course!

Now that I have some free time, you can expect to see me active in the foris.

Pax domini semper vobiscum,

Darrell

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Sounds like you are "hooked" like the rest of us :D
Next thing you know you will have about 900 books on Greek & Latin taking up all the space in your house. I even have reproductions of various bit of Roman ornaments cluttering up my garden. A definite addiction, but a good one.

sokabs
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sokabs »

Next thing you know you will have about 900 books on Greek & Latin taking up all the space in your house. I even have reproductions of various bit of Roman ornaments cluttering up my garden.
These things have already been true for me. I am an archaeologist, so reproductions of ancient artifacts are all over (mostly from the Roman near east and Arabia). Also, I have already collected several volumes of Latin text, but have been unable to read them till now. This is one addiction that I don't mind having.

MMoser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MMoser »

Another new member to the forum:

My name is Matt and I'm in my second year of my Master of Arts in Religion program. I'm studying ancient church history, concentrating primarily in the Apostolic Fathers and Greek patristics.

Being a student of the ancient church, both Greek and Latin are very important for my research. I've done 2 years of study in Greek and a bit of informal study in Latin. I thoroughly enjoy both languages, though Greek captures me a bit more! It must be the romance of a different alphabet...

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say "Salve!" or "Charis soi!"

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

MMoser wrote:Another new member to the forum:

Being a student of the ancient church, both Greek and Latin are very important for my research. I've done 2 years of study in Greek and a bit of informal study in Latin. I thoroughly enjoy both languages, though Greek captures me a bit more! It must be the romance of a different alphabet...

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say "Salve!" or "Charis soi!"
I hope you enjoy the discussions with the rest of us mad classicists :D
Yes, that new alphabet is somehow very appealing - maybe it's a hangover from the "secret codes" we all had as kids? I have just started on Arabic and that alphabet is fascinating, all those curly bits! I had hoped to be further on in my studies but "real life" has rather written off the last month or so. At least my Greek is progressing nicely.

Also to Sokabs -
These things have already been true for me. I am an archaeologist, so reproductions of ancient artifacts are all over (mostly from the Roman near east and Arabia).
I am so jealous! Mine are just some reproductions bought in Australia, they are of real artifacts but not anything terribly exciting.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Carola wrote:
sokabs wrote:These things have already been true for me. I am an archaeologist, so reproductions of ancient artifacts are all over (mostly from the Roman near east and Arabia).
I am so jealous! Mine are just some reproductions bought in Australia, they are of real artifacts but not anything terribly exciting.
Oooh...don't you just hear the Roman coins screaming out "Collect me! Collect me!" :wink:

Sorry for the delayed hello, but salve sokabs! Pleased to meet you!

jjhayes84
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jjhayes84 »

MMoser wrote:I'm studying ancient church history, concentrating primarily in the Apostolic Fathers and Greek patristics.
Fantastic! I too am a student of the Church, while also studying classics. Pax tecum!

MMoser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MMoser »

jjhayes84 wrote:
MMoser wrote:I'm studying ancient church history, concentrating primarily in the Apostolic Fathers and Greek patristics.
Fantastic! I too am a student of the Church, while also studying classics. Pax tecum!
Always excellent to meet a like mind. What area of the Church do you study? Does it fit with your interest in the classics?