The Everything Learning Latin Book

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Sigma
Textkit Neophyte

The Everything Learning Latin Book

Post by Sigma »

Has anyone here used the textbook "The Everything Learning Latin Book"? I'm curious as to wheather it's any good.

mfranks
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mfranks »

Hi Sigma,

That's one of the few books that I haven't checked out... However, here are three reviews up on Amazon that you may wish to read:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158062 ... oding=UTF8

Pesonally, I prefer Lingua Latina and the Cambridge Latin Course together. However, it's really about finding a combination of texts and readers that fit your learning style. It's often a matter of trial and error. In speaking for myself, I experienced quite a bit of "trial" and "error" in finding the combination that works best for me - especially given that I don't possess a "natural" talent for languages.

You may wish to check out my review of the Cambridge Latin Course on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052128 ... e&n=283155

Good Luck! If you have any further questions, let me know.

Cheers,

Mark

Feles in silva
Textkit Member

Post by Feles in silva »

Mark,

What are the ISBN's of your Cambridge Latin Courses? I saw a North American edition, hardback, at my local Borders. It looks like the one you review on Amazon, but I think yours might be paperback?

mfranks
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mfranks »

Feles in silva wrote:Mark,

What are the ISBN's of your Cambridge Latin Courses? I saw a North American edition, hardback, at my local Borders. It looks like the one you review on Amazon, but I think yours might be paperback?
Feles in silva,

Indeed, the copies I have are for the paperback versions... The ISBNs are as follows:

0-521-00434-9 Unit 1
0-521-00430-6 Unit 2
0-521-89470-0 Unit 3
0-521-53414-3 Unit 4

I would order them directly from Cambridge, unless you can find them in your local bookstore. Amazon doesn't list the current edtions on their website.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Oh, so you're the Mark Franks who reviewed the Cambridge Latin Course on Amazon! I was just looking at that review since I was perusing Unit 1 and Unit 2 at my local Borders bookstore today. It's the first time I ran across them, and they were very engaging. I think I could have stood there all day reading through it if it weren't for my little girl letting us know it was time to go.

The ISBN for the hardcovers are:

Cambridge Latin Course Unit 1
ISBN 0-521-78228-7

Cambridge Latin Course Unit 2
ISBN 0-521-78229-5

I just happened to jot them down in my Palm while I was at the bookstore. :)

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

Is the Cambridge Latin course high school level or college level? And the Lingua Latina books?

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Sanskrit wrote:Is the Cambridge Latin course high school level or college level? And the Lingua Latina books?
The Lingua Latina books start out with Latin for one year olds, and progress naturally and what appears as obviously until they get to the Latin of the highly educated. So they're not really books that can be placed in any specific level of learning, but rather at any level. In any case, for those who want to change their approach to learning the language, I'd recommend going through the whole thing from Ch. 1 because there's so much subtlety and implicitness made explicit in there that is simply glossed over or oafishly ignored in Wheelock et al.

I'm on Ch. 13. I figured out the Roman calendar over the past couple of days. Very interesting. The Romans were always looking ahead!

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

Which one is better, the Lingua Latina course or the Cambridge Latin course?
(Sorry for hijacking this topic. :) )

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Sanskrit wrote:Which one is better, the Lingua Latina course or the Cambridge Latin course?
(Sorry for hijacking this topic. :) )
I've never looked at the Cambridge course. From what I've read about it, however, it stops at a certain level whereas LL does not. Anyway, I wouldn't really know to be honest. Regardless, I'm very happy with Ørberg :)

Sigma
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sigma »

In the couple months since I originally posted this thread, has anyone had any experience with this book.

K.S.
Textkit Neophyte

Yeah i'm using it right now...

Post by K.S. »

I will say that it's quite a good starter’s book.
I especially like the way R. Prior has a way of making the explanations relatively short and the book is quite humorous
at times (Which will help you remember what you learned). It goes at a steady pace introducing you to the different things based on how often they are used.

A thing I think could have been different is the practices: English-to-Latin Translations and the Latin-to-English Translations, they are a bit hard to
do because they need you to be able to use the different things you learned all at once.

I'm using the book together whit the "Teach Yourself Beginners Latin" and the "Latin Verb Drills" and find that a nice set.

There are two reviews on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custom ... merReviews