The Bible as a Source of Knowledge

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:24 am

HOMER WILLIAM SMITH

JOHN MACKINNON ROBERTSON

Aw, shucks. Let's also include HELEN KELLER.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:46 am

PeterD wrote:Now, please explain why you don't show the same kind of healthy scepticism when it comes to the bible---a text that has undergone countless of editions and revisions before it became more or less fixed, sometime in the 5th century if I am not mistaken?
You are mistaken on this "fact". We have more evidence that the Bible we have today is the Bible as it was originally written than any other ancient document that exists. I think you may have been reading the DaVinci Code and been misled by Dan Brown's lies.
PeterD wrote:
Rhuiden wrote:

Also, my faith is in the one true God of the universe because of what He did in my life. I know what He did for me. I know how He changed my life.

You should give yourself more credit. YOU made the effort. YOU made the sacrifices. YOU did it all, my dear friend.
I truly appreciate the confidence you have in me an my abilities but unfortunately it is misplaced. I can change my behavior but only God can change my nature. Without Him, I would have no hope, I would be living an empty life, and I would be destined to spend eternity separated from Him in Hell.

By the way, how is your family? Are you spoiling your daughter yet?

Rhuiden
phpbb

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:33 pm

I would be destined to spend eternity separated from Him in Hell.
I have heard that it is very warm there, much better than here in the Netherlands. I like to travel to exotic places, can't wait to see hell.

ethopoeia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ethopoeia » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:07 pm

let's see...

ethopoeia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ethopoeia » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:10 pm

PeterD wrote:Now, please explain why you don't show the same kind of healthy scepticism when it comes to the bible---a text that has undergone countless of editions and revisions before it became more or less fixed, sometime in the 5th century if I am not mistaken?
You are mistaken on this "fact". We have more evidence that the Bible we have today is the Bible as it was originally written than any other ancient document that exists. I think you may have been reading the DaVinci Code and been misled by Dan Brown's lies.

You mean as the bible "were" written, don't you? :)

ethopoeia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ethopoeia » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:18 pm

Rhuiden wrote:
PeterD wrote:What kind of crazy god do these fundamentalist "Christians" believe in?
The one true God, Creator of all things, Savior of my soul, the Alpha & Omega........shall I go on.

I can't speak for all fundamentalists but this is a small, inadequate description of the God I serve.

Rhuiden

With that John Wayne look à la Indian killer -a previous edition of the clash of civilizations- I rather think of the God Sabbaoth, Lord of the Heavenly Armies //+++// :D

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:43 am

ethopoeia wrote:With that John Wayne look à la Indian killer -a previous edition of the clash of civilizations- I rather think of the God Sabbaoth, Lord of the Heavenly Armies //+++// :D
You don't like John Wayne?

God is the Lord of the Heavenly Armies but He is so much more.

By the way, the Heavenly Armies are doing battle right now. They are fighting a spiritual war with Satan and his armies. But get this, the outcome is already decided and we know who wins. Choose this day whom you will serve....as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Rhuiden
phpbb

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:48 am

Sanskrit wrote:
I would be destined to spend eternity separated from Him in Hell.
I have heard that it is very warm there, much better than here in the Netherlands. I like to travel to exotic places, can't wait to see hell.
If this is truly your desire, God will not stop you but it will sadden Him immeasurably. It is not God's will that any should be separated from Him.

I have heard Hell described in many ways but this is the first time I have heard the adjective "exotic" used. I urge you to not joke in this manner. Spending eternity separated from God is a very serious matter.

Rhuiden
phpbb

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:13 am

Sorry, bad joke. :)
Personnaly I don't believe in eternal seperation from God, because God lives in your heart, not in heaven. If you see God as a sort of parent figure, maybe he has to punish sometimes, but I don't think that a father, or God, would be so cruel to punish you forever.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 pm

Sanskrit wrote:Sorry, bad joke. :)
Personnaly I don't believe in eternal seperation from God, because God lives in your heart, not in heaven. If you see God as a sort of parent figure, maybe he has to punish sometimes, but I don't think that a father, or God, would be so cruel to punish you forever.
This is a common misunderstanding of what happens. God does not punish a person forever, He simply allows the person to experience the consequences of their choices. In other words, if a person chooses to be separated from God while they are alive, He does not force them to be with Him for eternity. He simply gives them what they chose.

The Good News is that anyone and everyone can chose not to go to Hell. It is as simple as accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior.

Also, you are correct God does live in our hearts, in the form of the Holy Spirit, if you have accepted Jesus. But He also lives in Heaven, in the form of the Father (one God in three persons).

Rhuiden
phpbb