The Third Declension

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:The Third Declension

Post by Episcopus » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:20 pm

And last night, Dr. B.L.D taught me that 3rd declension makes sense. At least about -s adding consonant stems <br />The Nominative singular with an "e" changes to "i" in stem/base. <br />And c+s, g+s = x. <br /><br />So iúdics changes to iúdex yay! <br /><br />Before I actually read about it, I made sense of wherefore "x" replaced cs, gs ;D<br />
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:50 pm

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=523;start=0#4619 date=1061512607]<br />I like the third declension... there was only one even remotely positive poll answer though >:(<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I take it that you chose the "well-balanced breakfast" too, hm?<br /><br />I like 3rd declension nouns as well. I like them better all the time. Even the "i" stems!<br /><br />Maybe we need another poll to rate the positive feelings.... ;D<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:59 pm

My hierarchy for the declensions would have to be:<br />4>5>3>2>1 (Sorry, Episcopus, but pretty fourth declensions is :-X)<br />Conjugations:<br />4>3>1>2
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:05 pm

Yeah, but cornu is the only one in frequent use.
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:09 pm

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=523;start=0#4703 date=1061589929]<br />Yeah, but cornu is the only one in frequent use.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Are you neglecting your fructus?
phpbb

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:10 pm

That's not true at all. The word for "hand" is manus, a word for fear, metus. There are quite a few others, but they only make up less than 2 percent of all Latin words
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:22 am

Is the problem remembering the endings or just the fact that the nom & gen can be so different?<br /><br />Endings are easy; just sing "Jingle Bells" (Start with "Dashing through the snow" & keep going through all the verses & chorus):<br /><br />(blank) dash<br />-is -ing<br />-i through<br />-em the<br />-e snow<br /><br />-es in a <br />-um one<br />-ibus horse<br />-es open<br />-ibus sleigh<br /><br />ETC.<br /><br />There are relatively few i-stems. If you're aware that they exist, you can probably understand them in context. <br /><br />As to the stems when reading, I agree with Benissimus (?) that the really weird ones are 3rd. However, the stems usually provide English derivitives which can give a clue to the basic meaning.<br /><br />Magistra
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:11 pm

3rd declension is for a noun declension very evil. <br /><br />French is so nice, rarely are there any freak changes in plurals and there is no dative genitive etc for nouns really...ah french I loves it. And in speech a plural is pronounced the same as singular the change being the article les enfants l'enfant...<br /><br />No wonder the french people evolved the language into a simpler flowing form. Latin relatively is very difficult.
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:31 pm

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=523;start=15#4769 date=1061644317]<br />No wonder the french people evolved the language into a simpler flowing form. Latin relatively is very difficult. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I have to admit to being ***very*** grateful that I didn't have to learn English as a second language.... I think Latin must be about a thousand times easier to deal with than English would be!<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:42 pm

That's because of the damn pronunciation and spelling irregularities damn this language
phpbb