Love of Latin and Greek = Love of Roman and Greek History?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Love of Latin and Greek = Love of Roman and Greek History

Post by Milito » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:22 pm

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=505;start=15#4469 date=1061337999]<br />you're not alone on enjoying Greek and Latin history.<br /><br />My favorite is Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesean War, a book that gets better and better as the reader understands all the under currents of Athenian and Spartan history, politics and culture. It's a very excited account with so many highs and lows suffered on all sides. Thucydides provides countless insights into how groups act under stress, suffering, sickness, arrogance, fear, bravery and hope.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I had to read parts of this for the Greek course, too, but ran out of time to read the whole thing - spent too much time reading Herodatus and Arrian as part of an Alexander essay research! But I must get back to it and cover-to-cover it.....<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:46 pm

While scanning bookshelves today at work I found "Daily Life in Greece at the time of Pericles", a lighter read than Thucydides and Arrian for sure but nonetheless an interesting account of Greek social history and customs c. 5th century B.C.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:12 pm

[quote author=MDS link=board=6;threadid=505;start=15#4615 date=1061505968]<br />While scanning bookshelves today at work I found "Daily Life in Greece at the time of Pericles", a lighter read than Thucydides and Arrian for sure but nonetheless an interesting account of Greek social history and customs c. 5th century B.C.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />that is the sort of classical history i'm interested in, the daily life of people. i'm not too bothered who won which war when, or who passed some law. <br />that's why i found lysias interesting. <br /><br />but otherwise i'm not interested in ancient history that much, i prefer modern history, in particular the histories of far of foreign countries.
phpbb

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:36 am

Emma_85:<br />but otherwise i'm not interested in ancient history that much, i prefer modern history, in particular the histories of far of foreign countries<br /><br />Which countries specifically?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:47 pm

china, bangladesh, india, africa ...
phpbb

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:34 pm

an neat, you might want to check out Thai history too!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:12 pm

probably will do, if i should find some time...<br /><br />at school we mainly did roman and greek history in our latin lessons, and european history in our history lessons. <br />of course doing european history means that you also do modern world history, but it's always annoyed me, that we never learn anything much about the rest of the world.
phpbb