A Lingua Latina Forum?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
edonnelly
Administrator

A Lingua Latina Forum?

Post by edonnelly »

There was discussion in a recent thread about the idea of starting a forum on the Latin board for the Lingua Latina series. I wanted to start a new thread to draw more attention to the idea and avoid hijacking someone else's thread.

I personally think it would be a good idea. We are getting more and more interest in that set of books. Also, the fact that the books are entirely in Latin means that many students struggling with some part of the text might like a place to discuss their translation attempts.

I predict such a forum would be used more than the M&F forum, which has only 45 topics to date, and averages just over one topic per month from the last year.

Now, who would be a good moderator? If only there were someone on this forum with an enthusiasm for this series...
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Indeed, there is a lot of interest in that book (probably at least in part due to the abundant advertisement of it), but I don't think I've actually seen anyone ask questions about the exercises in that book yet. I fear that any new forum for a book that is not in general usage will be as abysmal as the D'Ooge and M&F forums. Of course if it were created, Episcopus would be the most likely candidate for moderator :lol:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

All right, all right, we can stop kidding; we all know what I say. (You all know I'm this close to putting LL and Dowling Method links in my signature.).

Actually, Ben, I've fielded many questions already about Lingua Latina, about excercizes and contextual questions. A great amount of it has been through PM (mainly by my own request — I'm happy to help, but my chances to visit the forum are not constistently frequent).

In any event, I would happily volunteer to be a moderator to this proposed Lingua Latina forum. I second the proposal.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Brian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brian »

Hello All

Lingua Latina forum?? Age; incipiamus

Brian

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

I fourth (?) the motion for a Lingua Latina forum, and Lucus is the obvious choice for moderator. He has been struggling to convey that the method works well, often in the face of sheer dismissiveness (of which I too was guilty). Giving the LL series a forum would all but eliminate an uphill clamber; and it's a fresh approach, as edonnelly (and of course Lucus) said, on different principles. That way we would have more of a balance I think between the two overall approaches to learning Latin, and it's a good way to validate the often overlooked LL books.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

perhaps there should be a poll on how many textkittens are currently studying from Lingua Latina :idea:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

If I were Lucus, I would have already put LL and the Dowling method in my signature to spare all the typing.

leoninus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by leoninus »

For what it is worth, I fifth the the motion. I will be starting LL as soon as it arrives.

To anyone contemplating purchasing this series from Amazon - DON'T !
I strongly suggest purchasing from the publisher, or perhaps from
http://www.pullins.com

Amazon.com is definitely NOT gay with Hans H. Orberg.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

benissimus wrote:perhaps there should be a poll on how many textkittens are currently studying from Lingua Latina :idea:
I agree, though I think we should put it on the open board so more people will see it no?

Spyus Carus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Spyus Carus »

I would also be interested in a Lingua Latina forum

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

To add my voice to the proceedings, I would use a Lingua Latina forum as well. I have started reading the first volume. I can see having some problems as I get toward the end of the book.

WB

mfranks
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mfranks »

I would love to see a LL Forum!

CharlesH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CharlesH »

Since I just received my copy of Lingua Latina I would strongly welcome a forum for it.

I am already on Cap. 4. It is easy so far but I expect the difficulty to ramp up immensely. I want to make a good dent in it by August.

Charles

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

CharlesH wrote:Since I just received my copy of Lingua Latina I would strongly welcome a forum for it.

I am already on Cap. 4. It is easy so far but I expect the difficulty to ramp up immensely. I want to make a good dent in it by August.

Charles
Amadeus CharlesH(I don't know the dative for your name :oops: ) salutem dicit,

Where are you now in LL? Get ready for chapters 17 and onward. I got stuck on chapter 17 and, since I don't have a well thought-out method of my own, I re-read the whole 17 chapters after a break meant to clear my mind. It worked apparently, but then came chapters 23 and 24... aghhh! This is where I'm now. At the end of the book, I'm thinking I'll re-read it in toto, until there's nothing left unlearned.

Vale!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

leoninus wrote:To anyone contemplating purchasing this series from Amazon - DON'T !
I strongly suggest purchasing from the publisher, or perhaps from
http://www.pullins.com

Amazon.com is definitely NOT gay with Hans H. Orberg.
Just wondering why not order from amazon, since I was thinking of doing just that. What do you mean when you say Amazon is not "gay"? ... that they're not a "member of the committee?" :?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

mariek wrote:What do you mean when you say Amazon is not "gay"? ... that they're not a "member of the committee?" :?
I think it refers to this thread.

As far as Amazon goes, I think I recall some people had trouble with slow delivery on this book, but I can't remember the details or to where they were having the book shipped.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

leoninus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by leoninus »

mariek wrote: Just wondering why not order from amazon, since I was thinking of doing just that. What do you mean when you say Amazon is not "gay"? ... that they're not a "member of the committee?" :?
I suffered shipping delay after shipping delay when I ordered LL from Amazon - to the point where I cancelled the order. I must say this is not my normal experience with Amazon. It just seems to be with LL.

I then ordered from www.pullins.com and it shipped immediately.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

leoninus wrote:I suffered shipping delay after shipping delay when I ordered LL from Amazon - to the point where I cancelled the order. I must say this is not my normal experience with Amazon. It just seems to be with LL.

I then ordered from www.pullins.com and it shipped immediately.
What a strange Amazon experience! I've never had that problem with them before. I was looking at the hardcover version of Lingua Latina which is available from Amazon.

How much is shipping from Pullins.com?

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

I reserved a copy from Borders and it was there early. Amazon autem hasn't let me down yet. Then again, I haven't ordered LL from Amazon, either.
mariek wrote:
What do you mean when you say Amazon is not "gay"? ... that they're not a "member of the committee?"

I think it refers to this thread.
I remember that one. It made me laugh. Such hostility, but ended nicely by Bellum Paxque, I must say, with much honor. :wink:

-Jon

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Deudeditus wrote:I reserved a copy from Borders and it was there early. Amazon autem hasn't let me down yet. Then again, I haven't ordered LL from Amazon, either.
Ah... I stopped by Borders today and did a search for LL at their kiosk, LL came up as "out of print", so I didn't even bother to inquire about ordering it. Borders did have the Cambridge Latin Course in stock. I think I'll go back there tomorrow to pick it up.

CodyKay
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CodyKay »

I recently began Lingva Latina after a couple months of preliminary study of the language. I worked a little through D'ooge, among others, but got bored quickly. Even though I am not too far into Lingva Latina (I started chapter 6 earlier today) I have much higher hopes for this book! Each chapter is getting more and more difficult... so expect some questions!