yay! Go Oxford!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

yay! Go Oxford!

Post by Episcopus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:27 pm

tee-hee-hee. Oxford wins the boat race hi I study english yay it is so hard tee hee all these reflective pronouns! and so many brill reading texts in english! i wish i was a wizard in harry potter! i want to be in gryffindor! why don't you have nice hearts on this textkit forum! :( i'm sad, yet (co-ordinating conjunction! not many of those!) i am also happy, because i study in my spare time history and archaeology and sewing! did you know that archae- means ancient and logos means a word? i don't know whence 'sew' comes from tee-hee! shakespeare is so hard sometimes because he changes his metre all the time and stikhomythia is really effective in his verse! one of my swedish girlfriends she's so like funny but she ate too many meatballs i think because she says swedish for sew is sy but there is no vowel in this word! she is so dumb sometimes! i before e except after c! anyways i am also very glad because Oxford won the boat race on sunday!

http://www.theboatrace.org/news/newssto ... -19-09-15/

The Oxonians, I don't know whether you americans are too distracted with your shotguns and large trucks to take notice of this, they won by 5 lengths. Now I don't know how far 5 lengths is because in wales we measure in sheep, but it was, I quote myself "a bloody long way".
No but seriously, on a serious note now, let us all take this opportunity, as good classicists, to say to whiteoctave...

IN YO
FACE!!!

~E
phpbb

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:42 pm

The boat race is as good a reason as any to wish I were back there...

-david

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:05 pm

I don't know whether you americans are too distracted with your shotguns and large trucks to take notice of this
:D

You wrote like you were stoned or something. :D

-Jon

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:13 pm

evening david and jon: can every one please mock cambridge i hate those damn tabbies and whiteoctave was crying, he told me!

~E
phpbb

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:44 pm

Lo! the sluggards of Cambridge are beaten back by the boldly moving fluminis principes! Verily I say to thee, O ye Oxfordian boaters, ye are as masters to the beaten cur, as the conquering legiones to the whipped gauls. Hail masters of the Boating World! Hail Oxford!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:34 pm

yay verily! Hail Oxford! they say little tabby cats dislike water! Hail Oxford! why is whiteoctave not replying? he is crying in the corner of his room (palace) ATTACK THEM IN THE ROUGH WATER LADS ATTACK THEM SEB YOU ARE THE MAN WITH YOUR 1" DELTOIDS!!!

~E
phpbb

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:43 pm

Having never visited Cambridge, I can't very well slam it, can I?

(I have long suscribed to that delectable principle: "Don't knock it till you try it.")

-David

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:55 pm

cambridge is the ultimate; oxford the last resort...
yes, we lost that, but a few hours before we won the varsity football, which brought me especial pleasure since my brother was in the oxford side.
david-i'll reply to your email in the relatively near future.
busy - classics etc.

~D
phpbb

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:51 am

I didn't know you had sport in England. :P
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:47 pm

englishmen lack sport? nay rather, if anything there is too much emphasis placed on sport and the performing arts, while the classics are neglected.

today i bet in the grand national, on "nil desperandum", because of his name of course, he was an outsider at 33/1, came fourth. damn. i also bet on saudi arabia, iran and trinidad&tobago to win the world cup. 750/1, 500/1, 1000/1 respectively.

is bellumpaxque thinking of coming to cambridge then? some people were telling me, the classical tripos up in cam. were easy, these were girls who study history and archaeology though. they were claiming that the english tripos is harder.
this doesn't give me much faith for classicists up there, i'd rather be at oxford. but bellumpaxque it might be good for you, i mean you're certainly good enough.

~E
phpbb

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:41 pm

bp definitely has some forthright and laudable aims in Classics.
as for the GN, i laid some down on numbersixvalverde at 11-1...

...SCORE!

(=books)

i hope you still have your proverbial thumb removed, e, re attaining the desiderata under examination.

~D
phpbb

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Episcopus wrote:i also bet on saudi arabia, iran and trinidad&tobago to win the world cup. 750/1, 500/1, 1000/1 respectively.
I see Iran springing a surprise or two, so you maybe you made a good bet there. T&T is going to finish last.

WB

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:17 pm

whiteoctave wrote:bp definitely has some forthright and laudable aims in Classics.
as for the GN, i laid some down on numbersixvalverde at 11-1...

...SCORE!

(=books)

i hope you still have your proverbial thumb removed, e, re attaining the desiderata under examination.

~D
partridge you wanker! bloody hell, did bob give you a tip or something? i bet £15 on 8 horses, basically on the names I approve of - namely "le duc", "le roi" and of course "nil desperandum". isn't skipping over clare bridge with your special female classicist enough for you?

i don't know what a "removed proverbial thumb" might be, but i can recognise a perfect participle: i am trying my best but am not doing well. i do not function well with useless coursework, especially when i am discarding the classics in order to do this, which are in my heart. i feel like i am betraying myself. is it acceptable to do this due to need, because my latin and greek have become extremely poor. i also just failed my chemistry practical (D) - i told the chemistry teacher i don't know how to cook i usually get my mother to do it. a christ's style matriculation would have been nice, then i would be excellent at classics by the time i arrived, having probably read all the first year texts and excreting elegiacs.

~E
phpbb

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:44 pm

E.: I'm interested in reading classics in England - and frankly, I'd prefer Oxford, mainly because I've been there and have left a few friends behind. But Cambridge - if I could find funding, I'd go for it, to be sure. One concern - several classicists in the states have warned me that Ph.D/D.Phil's in classics at Oxford or Cambridge might put me at a disadvantage in the job search in the states. This has to do with breadth vs. narrowness of focus, I believe. By the way, thank you for your compliment - however, I haven't taken up Greek yet.

whiteoctave: please take as much time as you need. I'm anticipating your response but understand the demands and pressure under which, I hope, you are not languishing but thriving.

Regards, all,

David

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:14 pm

Episcopus wrote:i do not function well with useless coursework, especially when i am discarding the classics in order to do this, which are in my heart. i feel like i am betraying myself. is it acceptable to do this due to need, because my latin and greek have become extremely poor.
I share this sentiment exactly.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:50 am

i'm glad to know that i am not alone on this, nostos. it really gets to me sometimes: my teachers tell me that i will be able to study classics next year, but to get in to university i must get grades in totally unrelated subjects like chemistry and maths. they do not understand that to see my latin become poor hurts me greatly. i felt like titrating my teacher's face the other day when my tossing glass thing smashed and he laughed and i also had marks deducted for safety (smelling the purple chemical). people say i have taught myself languages, but just because they are offered at school this does not mean i have not taught myself the chemistry, physics, maths and german i need to know, as the teachers don't know the subjects themselves.

bellum, i am sure octave will have something to say about american classicists warning you about cambridge. also, would oxford not cost the same as cambridge?

~E
phpbb

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:24 pm

E: you're right - I presume that Cambridge and Oxford cost about the same. My point was just that, if I can manage to find funding to study at either uni, I'd be happy to do it, though my current preference is for Oxford. I expressed that rather elliptically, I think.

-david