Learning greek and latin with Homer

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Cédric
Textkit Neophyte

Learning greek and latin with Homer

Post by Cédric »

Hi,

I'm currently teaching Latin and Greek in a secondary school (kids aged 11-16).
I decided to use Pharr's book for the Greek side. I had the kids buy the 8 first books of Iliad in a Greek/French edition (whole work exists in 3 books). Yet, i am to teach them some latin too, and i'd rather use the same work than take another one completely different from Iliad (i thought i could use Virgil's Eneid but it seems a bit too difficult and even if related, too far from Homer).
So my question : Does any of you know an accurate translation into latin of Homer's Iliad which i could use so to show my pupils the links between latin/greek morphology/syntax/vocabulary ?

Thank u very much :)

C.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

I found only this document from the Gallica website It is a prose translation by Lorenzo Valla. It seems not as faithful as you could wish, because the μῆνιν ἄειδε, θεά, ... is rendered in a rather Sallustian way by Scripturus ego quantam exercitibus Graiis cladem excitaverit Achillis furens indignatio...

I heard of another Renaissance translation by a certain Andreas Divus, but I could not find it online.

It will be no easy task...

:?

Cédric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cédric »

Thanks Skylax :)

I had seen this one. I'm trying for the second time to D/L another one from Gallica (Homeri ilias, & odyssea [Document électronique] : secunda editio, quibus originem et exitum belli Troiani addidimus. Coluthi Helenae raptum. [et] Tryphiodori Ilii excidium / [translatio et praefatio Francesci Porti]), but i'm damn stuck at 55.2Mo *rant*. I'll have to find another way to save it (*thinking aloud :maybe opening the file on the browser and then save it*).

This one too seems good in verses, it's a XVIth century translation.

Actually i was looking for something more classical. Iliad must have been translated into latin during the Roman Period (i know they were 'all' fluent in Greek, and that they learned greek in Homer, but there must be a translation!)

Yet i'll D/L the translation u found too, it can be "fun", now and then to compare a prose translation and a verse one ;)

Thanks.

C.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Cédric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cédric »

U rock Skylax *thumb up*

Thanks a lot!

I will definitely have to use this one too, as an extension to my courses... man the subject is so wide, what to start with and what direction to take, "quo curram? quo non curram?" :shock: lol!

I found another version of Ilias Latina you linked to here

U can find on this site precisions on the author and period when it has been composed ;)
Carmen «Homerus latinus» seu «Ilias latina» circa annum 65 post Christum natum (cf. v. 899 sqq.) Nerone vivo ab auctore ignoto - fortasse Baebio Italico - compositum est. Versus enim 1-8 et 1063-1070 duas parastichides formant: «Italicus» et «scripsit». Textus in mediaevi tempore valde est dilectus; fere 100 manuscripta sunt tradita.
As for the XVIth century translation i'm trying to get, i'm currently trying to get it thru FTP this time but the file seems to be faulty *rants again* I WILL SUCCEED AND GET THIS FILE!!!!!

Cédric.

filiakaiagapi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by filiakaiagapi »

I find u all extraordinary! Vobis ago gratias ab immo pectore quoniam vitam in vestris animis habetis!