Roman pronounciation of Greek

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Roman pronounciation of Greek

Post by Deudeditus »

In my readings (haha, that sounded cool :D ) I have seen some greek words in Latin texts. I know that Rome was influenced by Greek Culture, so that is understandible.. Look at how many words of French origin are in the English language. These Greek words were also declined in the way of the Greeks, which makes sense. Seeing as the Romans decided to use Greek words, to retain the Greek cases and whatnot, would it be logical to assume that (at least some) Romans pronounced Greek as the Greeks did, with all the accents preserved? Just as some (usually snobby in my experience) English speakers pronounce borrowed french words with proper french pronounciation.
That said, I assume that the Romans wrote greek with roman letters. the reason I ask, though is because, on the cover of a fairly cheezy book, is a coin or something with the words SIGNVM...XPISTI. the ... means that I forgot the rest.. how embarrasing. :oops: anyway, it seems that Christi was written with greek characters, exept for the 's', which wasn't a sigma, but a latin 's'. it just seemed odd to me, but it made me ask my self if the romans used the greek alphabet to write greek words (kind of like the Japanese's three writing systems). does anyone know?

It probably doesn't matter either way, as we will probably never sound stupid while speaking in latin or greek, so we have nothing to fear from pronouncing greek with the wrong accents.

Gratias,
Jon

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

Romans pronounce Greek like DOGS

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

VOMITING dogs

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

That's cool stuff, Jon.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

I speculate that the very well-educated did so quite well, in the proper Greek way; and the rest didn't care at all.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Thanks for the help and comments. I guess I'll stick to the way of the dog for now :lol: