illa anim?lia

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

illa anim?lia

Post by nostos »

How can anyone not love a book that teaches like this (as opposed to the genitive of rubric and sphere)?

'Canis herbam n?n ēst, neque p?stor herbam ēst. Cibus p?st?ris est p?nis, quī inest in sacc?. Iūlius p?st?rī su? cibum dat. P?stor canī su? cibum dat: canis ? p?st?re cibum accipit. Itaque canis p?st?rem amat' :lol:

I will pay a dear academic price for spending this weekend on Latin instead of dogwork. So be it; the animals come next! (pinche doble sentido que ni esperaba) I’m tired and should go to bed.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Macte. :-)
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

I remember that chapter pretty well. In fact, I know exactly where I was when I read it: still drowsy after sleeping in late, recumbens in lecto, as comfortable as could be at a friend's house, on break, reading Latin.

-David

PS - On behalf of the genitive of rubric and sphere, the term would go nicely in goofy science fiction: "Sir! Is that the Genitive of Rubric and Sphere on the viewscreen!?" "By the Fiends of Passive Periphrasis...! All shields up, and move to red alert!"

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

bellum paxque wrote: -David

PS - On behalf of the genitive of rubric and sphere, the term would go nicely in goofy science fiction: "Sir! Is that the Genitive of Rubric and Sphere on the viewscreen!?" "By the Fiends of Passive Periphrasis...! All shields up, and move to red alert!"
LOL!

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

as Lucus no doubt noticed, est can not have a direct object. incidentally, that is why not everyone can love such a book.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

fierywrath wrote:as Lucus no doubt noticed, est can not have a direct object. incidentally, that is why not everyone can love such a book.
yes, it can. As you no doubt did not notice, 'Ä“st' is taken directly from the Indo-European root ED. The alternate form of 'Ä“st' is 'edit'.

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

before correcting me about direct objects, you might want to think about what you are saying. is herbam receiving the action of eating or is it merely affected by the action? when you have come to your senses you will realise that est can NOT have a direct object because a canis can not eat HERBAM.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

fierywrath wrote:before correcting me about direct objects, you might want to think about what you are saying. is herbam receiving the action of eating or is it merely affected by the action? when you have come to your senses you will realise that est can NOT have a direct object because a canis can not eat HERBAM.
Which is precisely why it is non est: because the dog does not eat grass.

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

but by making herbam the direct object you are implying that he COULD eat it but does not want to. but canis can NOT eat herbam. its better to just leave herbam out or else put it in to a more appropriate case!

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

fierywrath wrote:but by making herbam the direct object you are implying that he COULD eat it but does not want to. but canis can NOT eat herbam. its better to just leave herbam out or else put it in to a more appropriate case!
This is precisely the method of teaching through context. Until you have read the book, I recommend that you do not judge.

Dogs can eat grass (and often do) to vomit.

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

I give up. You are wrong.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

fierywrath wrote:I give up. You are wrong.
:lol:

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

Lucus Eques wrote:
You are wrong.
In the English first person singular, the pronoun is "I," and the verb "to be," which is irregular, is conjugated here as "am." You mean to say, "I am wrong."
You is wrong.

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

nostos wrote:
fierywrath wrote:as Lucus no doubt noticed, est can not have a direct object. incidentally, that is why not everyone can love such a book.
yes, it can. As you no doubt did not notice, 'Ä“st' is taken directly from the Indo-European root ED. The alternate form of 'Ä“st' is 'edit'.
Hence the macron over the "e"? - to distinguish it from est (he, she, it is)?

Correct?

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

LisaNYork wrote:Hence the macron over the "e"? - to distinguish it from est (he, she, it is)?

Correct?
The short answer: Yes :)

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

Fierywrath, you are confusing me here. You start out by saying that "est" cannot have a direct object. That is true. But then you seem to ignore the fact that you misread the post and didn't notice the macron over the "e", which makes that particular verb not a "to be" verb, but the verb "eats".
You go on to argue about what dogs can/can't eat.

Can you please clarify what your original point was, because it got "lost in translation" - no pun intended (I think).

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

If I followed this thread correctly, fierywrath missed the macron on the e. When Lucus pointed this out, he realized he had lost the war but resolved to win the battle, if possible. The rest of the argument, I think, was facetious.

-David

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

Thanks for clarifying, David. That sounds like what happened. :?