Latin-English date translation help?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
JGarrison
Textkit Neophyte

Latin-English date translation help?

Post by JGarrison »

I know this probably isn't written the "correct" way, but does it still make sense? 11 of June, 2002?<br /><br />UNDECIMO IUNIUS MXII

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:Latin-English date translation help?

Post by Elucubrator »

[quote author=JGarrison link=board=3;threadid=104;start=0#428 date=1052498241]<br />I know this probably isn't written the "correct" way, but does it still make sense? 11 of June, 2002?<br /><br />UNDECIMO IUNIUS MXII<br />[/quote]<br /><br />no, it's entirely wrong, you barbarian! Here we measure the date according to the Julian Calendar. The correct expression would therefore be:<br /><br />a.d. tertium Idus Junias Dumo praefecto<br /><br />the third day (counting inclusively) before the Ides of June during Bush's Presidency.<br /><br />the abbreviation "a.d." stands for "ante diem"<br /><br />The Ides are the 13th of the month. So counting back inclusively: 13-12-11 June. If you want to write the year in Roman numerals and leave out the "Dumo praefecto" which refers to Bush:<br /><br />2002 = MMII<br />2003 = MMIII.<br /><br />amicably,<br /><br />Seba

JGarrison
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JGarrison »

:-X I'm sorry I'm sorry! I forgot my paper at home that I had written my translation on, so what I typed above was just a guess. Either way I was still way off, lol. Once again I am sorry! ;D So then it would be a.d. tertium Idus Junias MMII? What is the actual translation of "Dumo praefecto"? Year of the Bush? ;)

JGarrison
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JGarrison »

TTT:)