Why?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Why are you studying Greek and/or Latin?

for fun!
41%
religious reasons
6%
to study history
7%
to study philosophy
4%
to study (or just read) literature
22%
because knowing amo amas amat ? ἡ τό is an intrinsic moral good
4%
to study linguistics
4%
to read the naughty parts of the Satyricon
2%
I haven't a clue
7%
because knowing amo amas amat á½￾ ἡ Ï„á½¹ is an intrinsic moral good
4%

Total votes: 54

annis
Textkit Zealot

Why?

Post by annis »

Some of the more fiery recent debates have danced slightly around why we even bother to study these languages. I'm curious to see what sort of reasons other people have.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

I started out because I wanted to get into historical research again. But reading Homer is just for fun.

So two reasons.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Adelheid wrote:So two reasons.
I expect that will be common.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

I started with Latin while we were homeschooling our daughters. She wanted to start a language and I wanted it to be one that could help her later on. I considered several but decided on Latin.

Rhuiden

Señor Boethius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Señor Boethius »

I am studying Latin because I really enjoy it. I enjoy the insights into the English language, the history of the classical world, the philosophy and the literature. In previous posts I discussed the possibility that studying the classics aided one in becoming morally virtuous as well.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I answered "to study history", but it is really because, well, I just want to! As Sir Edmund Hillary said about climbing Mt Everest, "because it's there". To extremely rude people who sneeringly ask why I bother, it's because I can!

To my long suffering partner, it's because it gives him peace and quiet and a chance to watch the car and motorbike races as long as he likes on TV (because my attention is elsewhere!).

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Carola wrote:To extremely rude people who sneeringly ask why I bother, it's because I can!
Because I WANT to! There's lots I CAN do... but do not WANT to...

A collegue asked me, when he heard I was reading Homer: "What do you get out of it?" Money-wise, that's what was intended.

Well, nothing. And who cares? I don't.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

When I say "because I can" I am returning the rude remark with another sneer - I can and they couldn't! But I am not usually so unpleasant to people (no, really! :twisted: ) .

Most of my friends take a real interest in my studies, especially with so many movies like "Troy" and "Alexander" and lots of programs about ancient history on TV - I sometimes feel like a walking guidebook to ancient Romans and Greeks!

You also need to keep the brain cells working just as much as you need physical exercise. Perhaps you could even combine the two and power walk while chanting conjugations.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I study Greek because, once I have a solid grasp on the Greek Language, I want to bear the fruits of my labour to the theatre community. I consider this a form of "to study/read literature", and that is how I voted.

However, I have only gotten this far because I have a general interest in linguistics and I enjoy the ride.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

I started learning latin because of my nose (Ive been told that it's quite Roman :) ). Kidding. I started learning on a whim, I wanted to learn a language.. a real language, because, back then, I studied Qenya and Sindarin (Tolkien's invented languages, o non-Tolkienites) :oops: I know... But they got me into linguistics and poetry..

Have a fun Xmas break! (mine starts today :D )

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola »

Deudeditus wrote: I studied Qenya and Sindarin (Tolkien's invented languages, o non-Tolkienites)

Suilaid!

:D

I study the high-elven language myself. :P Quenya is soooooo gorgeous...

Honestly I started having an real interest in languages because Tolkien was a philologist, and I wanted to know what my hero taught and was so interested in. I've been hooked on old and/or weird langauges ever since.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Fabiola wrote: [

Honestly I started having an real interest in languages because Tolkien was a philologist, and I wanted to know what my hero taught and was so interested in. I've been hooked on old and/or weird langauges ever since.
I heard that Tolkein was so skilled in Greek that he even took part in school debates - all in Greek! Apparently he was just brilliant at both Latin and Greek.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Ok....I put down "for religious reasons" for studying Greek. Because that was why I initially wanted to learn the language....to study the NT in it's original tongue. BUT (it really is a big but) I also always had in the back of my mind that once I learned NT Greek, I could go on to study Classical Greek and dig into the incredible wealth of the language and literature....which is exactly what I have done!

zq1981
Textkit Neophyte

Post by zq1981 »

I'm come from china ,now,living in beijing.I love greek,because I think the ancient greece is one of the most great age of humanity.But the most important reason is philosophy and I put down philosophy.
Sorry,my english is poor.There's must be some mistakes of grammar in my sentences.howbeit i will stick to learn greek by english book.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Deudeditus wrote:II started learning on a whim, I wanted to learn a language.. a real language, because, back then, I studied Qenya and Sindarin (Tolkien's invented languages, o non-Tolkienites) :oops:
This is no cause for shame! This was the foundation of my initial interest in linguistics - I wanted more interesting grammatical features to pillage for my own constructions. :)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Fabiola wrote:Honestly I started having an real interest in languages because Tolkien was a philologist, and I wanted to know what my hero taught and was so interested in. I've been hooked on old and/or weird langauges ever since.
Have you looked at Gothic yet?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

It's interesting to me that the "for fun" option has consistently accounted for just under half the replies.

richc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by richc »

I submitted for fun mostly because I dont do this for either school or carreer. Also because
I'd be doing the history, philosophy and literature part of it for fun as well.
Might not humanism have been a choice in this vote as well? That's primarily why I started.
I wanted to look into its origins and then only later got my foot stuck in philhellenism.

Cheers
Rich

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Other: Bard's pundonor (amour propre).

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Why?

Post by Democritus »

I study Latin in order to ward off the senility.

I'm not sure it's working. :)

Partly it's a way to escape the day's news, which is sometimes quite depressing. It's a way of putting the modern world into perspective. Things which seem awfully important to us now are just not part of ancient life.

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

I mean... do I really ? Image
I picked "to study Linguistics", which is what I'm studying... but mainly I started studying Latin due to my great passion for the Romance languages. Image

~FILIUS

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Fabiola wrote:
Deudeditus wrote: I studied Qenya and Sindarin (Tolkien's invented languages, o non-Tolkienites)

Suilaid!

:D

Viuat Tolkien! Quenya was also my window to Latin, and got me into this whole language thing. If it wasn't for Tolkien I'd be a science major by now! damn fine guy.

After I learn Greek, I'll have to get back to Quenya, and I hope the rest of you will be around so we can start a study group or something. Hah! Imagine a Quenya board at Textkit!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

screamadelica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by screamadelica »

To graduate, I need two years of a modern language and two years of a classical one. I had fulfilled my French obligations and had the choice between Greek and Latin, which wasn't much of a choice at all. Latin strikes me as ugly, clumsy, dismal, and off-putting (I've never been much of a fan of the Romance languages either, excepting French), not to mention awfully mundane. I also didn't want to stay in just the one language group; I wanted a non-Romance language, and I preferred Greek aesthetically anyway (seemed richer and livelier, with a skip in its step but still very smooth and pleasant to the ear). It has a reputation of being far more complicated and difficult, but I had no doubts that I could learn it and figured that if I got through the hard one first, Latin would be a comparative snap should I ever decide to study it (I will). And it doesn't hurt that Latin learners are (where I live) seen as dweebs, but students of Greek are seen as intellectual giants :lol:. Dunno where the stereotypes come from (maybe it's the alphabet (that takes all of two days to learn to read and write)), but that's the way the world is as I know it, at least.

As it turns out, two big things have resulted from my studies:

1) My interest in etymology has evolved into a full-fledged interest in Indo-Europeanism now that I have three different families (Germanic, Italio-Romance, Hellenic) to compare, and now that I have a textbook that explains Greek forms and their evolution from prehistoric/pre-Homeric ones; and I've grown a sharper sense for phonology and ablaut, that kind of stuff, which can uncover cognates that you never knew existed;
2) I've fallen in love with Greek; that is, what goes on in your head. Linguistic pleasure gives a tingling sensation in my head (like good poetry or a witty turn or even a pleasing cadence) and Greek makes my head tingle a lot.

So I went with "the intrinsic worth of knowing amo, amas, amat/ho, he, to" or however it's phrased -- that is, the sheer pleasure that a series of meaningful sounds can bring to that part of the brain that gets tickled. It also helps you know your own language better; much as using two texts is better than using one, knowing two grammars is better than knowing one. It's the same thing, just a different angle on it, and that different angle can make an exponential difference. There's no exact equivalent to "ho, he, to" in English, for example; you have to grasp a new concept (I've been thinking a lot about pronouns lately, just while driving or doing some mundane task). Everyone deserves that pleasure of floating in a new language free of English's restraints (or floating in conceptual grammar, free of language entirely)... so yeah, that's why I put that everyone should know "ho, he, to".

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola »

annis wrote:
Fabiola wrote:Honestly I started having an real interest in languages because Tolkien was a philologist, and I wanted to know what my hero taught and was so interested in. I've been hooked on old and/or weird langauges ever since.
Have you looked at Gothic yet?
Not yet. Isn't Gothic a derivative of High German? I should look into it over the break. :)

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola »

Lucus Eques wrote:
Viuat Tolkien! Quenya was also my window to Latin, and got me into this whole language thing. If it wasn't for Tolkien I'd be a science major by now! damn fine guy.

After I learn Greek, I'll have to get back to Quenya, and I hope the rest of you will be around so we can start a study group or something. Hah! Imagine a Quenya board at Textkit!
Haha, a Quenya board would be quite cool here. In the meantime though, http://lotrplaza.com has a good language section on their forums. :)

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Fabiola wrote: Isn't Gothic a derivative of High German? I should look into it over the break. :)
On the contrary, it is the oldest Germanic language which we have any kind of corpus for. It is the only attested language of the so-called East Germanic language family - with the Scandinavian languages being North Germanic, and German/Dutch/English as the West Germanic languages.

CharlesH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CharlesH »

Fabiola wrote: Not yet. Isn't Gothic a derivative of High German? I should look into it over the break. :)
Anyone interested in this might want go to their library to check out a book called Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages by Orrin W. Robinson

It is a comparative survey of the ancient Germanic languages including English, Old Norse, Old Frisian, Old Low Franconian, Gothic, Old High German and others. Not nearly as dry as it might sound. Highly recommended to anyone interested in the Indo-European language family and would likely be eye-opening for those who haven't delved into the cousins of Latin and Greek.

Charles
Last edited by CharlesH on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:
On the contrary, it is the oldest Germanic language which we have any kind of corpus for. It is the only attested language of the so-called East Germanic language family - with the Scandinavian languages being North Germanic, and German/Dutch/English as the West Germanic languages.
oops- I guess I got it backwards. :shock:

bizzaroSquirrel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bizzaroSquirrel »

I put down for fun, mainly because i don't have any other reason to learn latin.
I also thought that latin would make it easier to learn any other languages if i choose to do so in the future... spanish would be pretty cool 8)

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

annis wrote: I wanted more interesting grammatical features to pillage for my own constructions. :)
when I first started learning latin, I created a language which was going to be the latin of a world which i had created. (I've made, partially, about 4 or 5 so far, taking from Finnish, Anglo-Saxon, Latin, Old Norse, Gaelic, and Tolkien) most of them come from a single, fake, proto-language of mine...

I'm still waiting to learn Anglo-Saxon, it holds a special place in my heart (among others), not just because of Tolkien, though I daresay it is because of him that I ever knew of AS. Just something about speaking the language that my ancestors spoke hundreds of years ago...

Fabiola, lotrplaza rocks! :)

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Studying literature could probably be considered the central focus of my life, seeing that I arrange my affairs with the idea of creating more reading time; but this can hardly be seperated from the idea of fun! When I decided to try to read another language, I made a list of languages in which I was interested, and also of the books I wanted to read for each one. I was very surprised that Greek was by far the biggest list. It is really only since tackling Greek and discovering a very different language that I've become interested in grammar and linguistics. And I'm realizing how valuable Greek can be for my own writing and understanding of English words.

~N

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

got to go with 'fun'.
right now I have little time because of all that damned work they give us to do at uni, but when I'm really stressed out I just take my copy of the Odyssey and go down to the lounge and just read a few pages. I'm probably not learning much greek that way really, but I think it helps me not to forget it all by just reading some of it even if I don't understand every word I'm reading.
I've not read or translated any latin in ages though, I wonder if I would though if I had a book that really interested me like the Odyssey does. Then I might actually be tempted to pick it up and read some latin :o