Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
annis
Textkit Zealot

Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Post by annis » Tue May 06, 2003 2:59 pm

I've heard rumors about this for a while. Apparently, it's true:<br /><br />(From the Bloomsbury web site, H.P. faq).<br /><br />
<br />When are the Latin, Welsh, Ancient Greek and Irish editions coming out?<br /><br />Latin and Welsh editions will be published by Bloomsbury in July 2003. Ancient Greek will be published in July 2004. The Irish edition is also planned for 2004. Translators for all these book have already been commissioned.<br />
<br /><br />I've avoided the books so far. I'd get the Greek one, though.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]eu)tu/xete[/face]
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Post by Elucubrator » Tue May 06, 2003 3:55 pm

My brother and my girlfriend have been trying to get me to read Harry Potter for so long, and I have always resisted, saying that I would do so when I had children, but when I heard it was coming out in Latin and in Ancient Greek I told them that, "now I might have a real reason to read it." ;D<br /><br />Is there anyone here who has read the Potter books in English that can say something more about them?<br /><br />-S<br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Tue May 06, 2003 5:09 pm

I've read them in English, and really have enjoyed them. They tell a good story well, don't take themselves too seriously, and are generally good fun.<br /><br />I actually got one of them in German to assist in learning to read that language......<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya » Thu May 08, 2003 7:04 am

*shrugs* It's a nice escape from reality... a few puzzles witihin for the reader (e.g. deciphering the inscription on the mirror of Erised), but not something I'd reread. My younger sister adores it though...
phpbb

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor » Fri May 09, 2003 1:46 pm

Definitely worth reading one book, just to give 'em a fair crack of the whip. I did and have gone on to read all of them - a thoroughly enjoyable waste of time . But we all need things like that occasionally!<br /><br />Go for it!<br />Paul<br /><br />

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien » Fri May 09, 2003 3:52 pm

I must also confess to having read them all. <br /><br />There is a perversity in book marketing which has meant that adult fiction has dummed down to the "Does my bum look big in this?" level while conversely there is a sudden surge in real literature which is marketed at children - might I recommend Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series or Eoin Colfer's wonderful Artemis Fowl books. When are these going into Latin or Greek? Was there ever a classical equivalent? O tempora etc.
phpbb

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica » Thu May 15, 2003 1:45 am

Gosh, I have to say I did not read the books in English, but my nephews literally cannot stop talking about them...the one nephew read the current volumes out over his Christmas break and my support is behind them at this point because large numbers of children are actually reading these books and can't wait for more -- in this day and age it is great that they are not just "replaced" by the attitude "I'll wait for the film", instead they are mini-critics making sure the film measures up to the book!<br />For my part, I'm glad they are translating them, but I'm just trying to get a more traditional reading list in order at this point, although in the future I may have a bit of time to check them out.<br />E
phpbb

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis » Thu May 15, 2003 12:35 pm

I just put in my pre-order for the Latin edition.<br /><br />I figure this will be better motivation to learn Latin than Caesar. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya » Mon May 19, 2003 12:11 pm

To those of you who refuse to read Harry Potter until it comes out in classical languages:<br />Hmm... well, my own reason for wanting to study G&L is so that I make up my own mind about the Classical authors - knowing how much translation can change, even corrupt, a piece of writing. That would apply to translating HP into G&L as much as it does to translating Homer into English - something of the original will inevitably be lost, so I'd rather read any work in the original - which would mean Harry Potter in English, thank you very much!<br /><br />Mind you, I still find the thought that G&L translations are coming out to be most amusing... ;D<br /><br />To Vinobrien<br />I agree, Vinobrien: it's almost as though adult literature cannot show imagination...<br /><br />I enjoyed Artemis Fowl, too - and I'm glad that for once they didn't portray the genius stereotypically! And did you go through and decipher the arcane-fairy-script at the bottom of the pages in the second book? (Didn't have time before I had to return the book, myself...)
phpbb

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien » Tue May 20, 2003 11:10 am

I did notice on the shelves as I left home this morning<br /><br />Ursus nomine Paddington<br />Asterix Gallus<br />Caesaris Bellum Helveticum (in comic book form)<br /><br />I suspect the Harry Potter will end up next to them...<br /><br />By the way, I also have a CD by a man called Doctor Ammond which was given to me by a friend in Finnland. It consists of rock 'n' roll classics sung in Latin - ursus Taddeus; quate, crepa, rota; even nunc hic aut nunquam.
phpbb