Looking for a Greek program for children

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Borealis
Textkit Neophyte

Looking for a Greek program for children

Post by Borealis »

My son and I have started studying Ancient Greece in our homeschooling program. He's 9, and I'd like to find a decent course on Greek suitable for his age group. I realize it's harder to find a good program for Greek than Latin, but I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Looking for a Greek program for children

Post by Kerastes »

Borealis wrote:He's 9, and I'd like to find a decent course on Greek suitable for his age group.
I've heard that there are such things, but the closest thing I have personal experience of is a textbook series called A Reading Course in Homeric Greek by two Jesuit priests, Schoder and Horrigan. The readings are from a good chunk of the Odyssey. The book goes in and out of print. It is intended for high school students, but in the old days, it could have been used by 8th graders who would have started Latin the previous year.

If I had kids, I'd homeschool too. Gods know I would have liked to have started Homeric Greek when I was nine.

Kerastes

Borealis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Borealis »

That's the book I have; I have both (the 1st volume in the original printing, the 2nd in the 2nd printing). It seems a bit hard for him right now, so I'm probably going to start him on Latin and go from there.

Kat Doe
Textkit Neophyte

Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek

Post by Kat Doe »

Have you tried "Hey Andrew Teach me some Greek?"

Borealis
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek

Post by Borealis »

Kat Doe wrote:Have you tried "Hey Andrew Teach me some Greek?"
Only the first book, learning the alphabet. I wasn't impressed with their Latin counterpart, so I'm hesitant to spend more money on it. What would be the benefit of using this program?

Kat Doe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kat Doe »

I like "hey Andrew..." workbooks 3 and 4. They require a lot of handwriting practice and #4 spoonfeeds an introduction to accents. After that I'm partial to slowly moving through Machen with all it's supplements, and the "Mastering New Testament Greek" software and printable textbook and the audios on the authors website, and Dobson's book with audio CD and "Ancient Greek Alive".

I intend to teach Greek to 9 and 10 year olds when I learn more of it myself. It's going to take pulling from the multiple resources I listed above, and writing my own stuff and supplying a TON of oral support and drill with computers and flash cards.

Greek CAN be taught to 9 year olds...it's just that WE have to teach it, not a book. If your Greek is weak as you are learning alongside your child, get #3 and #4 of "Hey Andrew..." for now, and concentrate on that and just some vocabulary, while YOU tackle some intensive grammar YOURSELF.

We taught our babies mostly vocab before introducing grammar. You can just mostly do phonics, handwriting, accents and vocab with your son for now. Check out Laura Gibbs website, especially the prosody charts for teaching accent pronunciation.Clap out the words, clapping harder on the accented syllables.

I tried teaching Latin and Greek and all the regular stuff to my son, when he was homeschooling. Better to just stick with the Greek unless you already know Greek and Latin yourself. Too much prep and studying for you, means less time teaching :-0 Pick one language. Latin is easier...but well...Greek is...going for the jugular. It looks really good when you have to report to the school :-)

Spyus Carus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Spyus Carus »

There is a new series for Koine Greek called "Elementary Greek" that looks quite interesting. I believe that only the first installment in the series is currently released.

I wish something like this existed for Homeric or Attic Greek.

Link:
http://www.opentexture.com/