Some questions about the Hymn to Demeter

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Some questions about the Hymn to Demeter

Post by swiftnicholas »

The phrases πότνια μήτηρ and πότνια δηώ are very frequent. When used like this, is [face=spionic]po/tnia[\face] an adjective, meaning "revered, august", or a substantive, like "Lady Mother" or "Lady Demeter"? I'm leaning toward the adjective. Is there a good way to tell?

In line 3, εὐρύοπα (which I would like to think of as "far-seeing") is noted by Richardson to mean "with far-reaching voice". He cites Chantraine GH v1 200. I would very much appreciate if someone with vol. one could pass on any interesting information.

In line 58 appears the phrase σοὶ δ’ ὦκα λέγω νημερτέα πάντα. Is νημερτέα πάντα masc.sg. "the whole truth", or neut.pl. "all truths"? It can't be adverbial, right? (either "completely truthfully" or "I will tell you everything truthfully")

Thanks

~Nicholas

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Nicholas,

The evidence from Mycenaean Linear B suggests that "Potnia" was the name of a goddess (po-ti-ni-ja). In the tablets from Knossos and Pylos her name is often preceded by the name of a place, in the genitive. Its literal meaning is "the Mistress", "Lady".

In re 58: some translators take it as a substantive, others as adverbial. Cunliffe notes that neuter plural [size=150]νημερτέα[/size] means "the truth". He also references the construction [size=150]πάντα νημερτέα[/size] in Odyssey 5 meaning "entirely true". So I would vote for "the whole truth". At the very least it's less awkward than construing two adverbials with [size=150]πάντα[/size] serving as a substantive, e.g., "quickly and truthfully I will tell you all".

Cordially,

Paul

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Thanks Paul :)