Idle question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Idle question

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Someone told me today that when you learn Latin in the U.S.A., you're taught to write your Latin sentences in this order: subject-verb-direct object-indirect object. Ave Maria purissima! (Sine labe concepta.)

I didn't want to believe such a blasphemy and defended my quasi-compatriots' syntactical honor with cape and sword. Please tell me it's not true!

reltuk
Textkit Neophyte

Post by reltuk »

All I know is that the prevailing college textbook is Wheelock's Latin, and, unless my memory betrays me, it supports a "normal" word order of:

subject, indirect object, direct object, verb.

--reltuk

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

reltuk wrote: subject, indirect object, direct object, verb.
This is certainly what I was taught (with the exceptions for emphasis, etc.) in high school 20 years ago. I don't recall the textbook, of course, but it was not Wheelock's.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Idle question

Post by Democritus »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:Someone told me today that when you learn Latin in the U.S.A., you're taught to write your Latin sentences in this order: subject-verb-direct object-indirect object.
We were never taught this.

CharlesH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CharlesH »

edited for brevity
Last edited by CharlesH on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Idle question

Post by benissimus »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:Someone told me today that when you learn Latin in the U.S.A., you're taught to write your Latin sentences in this order: subject-verb-direct object-indirect object. Ave Maria purissima! (Sine labe concepta.)
I am afraid that most of the students I have met in real life do not write Latin sentences at all, much less in the wrong order! :lol:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

tu semper rideam facis

(p.p.)

:lol:

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Quisnam rideas facit?

Rationem habebas uideter, mi Episcope, Americanos perraro Latine scribere discere cum dixisses. O factum male ...

LV·EQ
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS