Vegetarianism

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:45 pm

Eureka wrote:"Expensive water"? :shock: Most restaurants have free water! This 'restaurant' wasn't passing around ekkies, was it? :wink:
This was in Europe. European restaurants do not always give free water (which is somewhat logical, since water bills are higher).

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:47 am

"Hello ...?" ~Carola
"I can only assume ..." ~Carola
"... and guess what ..." ~Carola
"my chihuahua took one glance and told me ... what is he talking about?!?" ~Chad

Those were underhanded ad hominem attacks against my claims, and this is a formal complaint:

"Oy!" ~Tickle-Me-Schlomo

(Idioms are not just a manner of speech, Carola, they also have meanings.)

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:53 am

"... I've never left Europe ..." ~Emma

Wise decision, Emma, if I were a Primitive I'd have you for dinner.

(Don't take it as sexual innuendo, you just look very nutritious.)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:48 pm

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:
Eureka wrote:"Expensive water"? :shock: Most restaurants have free water! This 'restaurant' wasn't passing around ekkies, was it? :wink:
This was in Europe. European restaurants do not always give free water (which is somewhat logical, since water bills are higher).
that's not the reason they don't give free water - the reason is that they know you'll buy more expensive drinks or expensive water if they don't give you free water... :lol:
phpbb

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:35 pm

Emma_85 wrote:that's not the reason they don't give free water
Quite. Last time i looked it was illegal in Britain to charge money for water. The loophole is that you can charge anything you like for packaging or for the service, which includes pouring it!

In clubs they even put bouncers in the lavatories to stop you drinking from the taps, which forces you to buy bottles from the bar at £5-10 each.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:12 pm

10 pounds for water? i thought we were paying max when we bought a few bottles of 10 euro water at a ministry of sound nightclub in paris this year, same price as the vodka oranges... but it's worth it... when you drink 10 or more bottles of nightclub tap water (when young and poor) you feel strangely ill in the gut the next day... :)

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:24 pm

chad wrote:strangely ill in the gut the next day... :)
My wallet must be more sensitive than my gut :lol:

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:31 am

"... paying ... 10 euro water at ... nightclub in paris ..." ~Chad

Please tell me that at least you got laid!

Laurent
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Laurent » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:55 am

Sorry about switching back to the initial subject but... Do you never feel as if you had eaten nothing after having eaten salad, for instance...? Not that I am a big fatty guy who has never eaten enough (haha, total opposite in fact), but I can hardly figure how one can have enough of a salad... I mean, you must truely hate meat for that... I tried many times to become vegetarian (I don't eat lots of meat anyway), but after having eaten vegetables massively for a week, I feet... strange, haha.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:13 am

1) Vegetarian diets include a lot more than vegetables (such as grains, sugars, fruits, beans, and for non-vegans, dairy products and eggs)

2) I crave (désire) vegetables if I don't eat any for a few days. I almost never crave meat.