plural form of vis

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
arslongus
Textkit Neophyte

plural form of vis

Post by arslongus »

Hello:

I am using Groton and May's "38 Latin Stories to accompany Wheelock's" and am wondering about the following sentence which appears in the story for Wheelock's Ch. 15:

Istum inveniam et, si potero, meis viribus vincam.

my translation of this is
This one I will find and, if I am able, by my strength, will overcome.

the form meis viribus is what I am wondering about. viribus is the ablative plural. Is this one of those idioms where the word is plural in form, but singular in meaning? Or do I simply have the translation wrong?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Saluē, Arslongus! Your translation is perfectly correct. And you are also right in noting that "uīs" in the plural has the connotation of "strength" or "power," as well as "forces."
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It's not that it has a singular meaning in the plural, it just has slightly different meanings in the singular and plural. vis means "force, power, etc." whereas vires means "strength".

A reasonable comparison in English would be the word "force". In the singular it often means "power", but in the plural it often means "military personnel"... yet we do not think of the word "forces" as having a singular meaning. insidiae "treachery" would be a word with singular meaning in the plural, as would English "ethics".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae