Moved.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Moved.

Post by mingshey »

Yesterday I moved to the new house.
It's an apartment house sitting just by a subway station
My wife and I did putting things in place and it's still a bit mess and we're quite beaten down by the labour.
I have to rearrange all my books that take one and a half wallful and my wife's doing most of the cleaning though I help her with some drillings and some heavy stuffs.
My books survived a rainy month of storage service but a couple of my DVD's got some stinking remainders of unidentified vermins. I had to wash them off with soap. The books take a large part of the cleaning up whenever we move. So I think I have to get rid of some books I'll never read again. But I'm one of the people who identify the books with one's soul and it's not easy to put the books which influenced you into a bin. It sounds like chopping your own limb off and eating it. But I might be able to identify some books that look like too-long-a-hair or fingernails that gather dirts.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Hey mingshey,

Hope you and your family are doing great in the new house :P Very bad what happened to your DVD's though, I'd be all crazy, me with my smell-it-all sindrome. And about the books, I guess it's better to give them away rather than throwing them to the bin, don't you think? Maybe some kind of institute, organization, or individual, could make very good use of them.

Good luck with cleaning :P

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Moved.

Post by mariek »

It must be so exciting to move to a new house. I'm sorry to hear about the DVDs. I bet Nausicaa will have some wonderful adventures exploring and playing in the new house. :)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

mingshey wrote: But I'm one of the people who identify the books with one's soul and it's not easy to put the books which influenced you into a bin. It sounds like chopping your own limb off and eating it. But I might be able to identify some books that look like too-long-a-hair or fingernails that gather dirts.
You put this so beautifully Mingshey - it is like losing an old friend when you lose a favourite book. When I do have to have a "book cull", usually driven by needing space to house new books, I give mine to the local community library. They keep what they want for lending and sell the rest for a small price. The money is used to buy new books and computers. But some I will never give away!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

mingshey wrote:But I'm one of the people who identify the books with one's soul and it's not easy to put the books which influenced you into a bin.
Ooh, I know this separation anxiety very well, too.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

If you love them, then set them free. :)

Books want to be read. If you give them to a library, or sell them, chances are good that someone else will read them. All the future readers and owners will be very happy that you parted with your books. This might make it easier for you to let go of them.

It's not like eating your limb, it's like donating it to someone who needs it.

Hope you enjoy your new apartment.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Thank you for your advices
Yhevhe wrote: Very bad what happened to your DVD's though,
mariek wrote: I'm sorry to hear about the DVDs.
Thank you for your concerns. It's not that bad though. There was no perpetual damage. Only some stinky blots that wouldn't go readily. DVD's come sealed on both sides, unlike CD's. So while CD's go bad when it gets a scratch on the 'up'-side, DVD's hold intact with minor scratches on either side. So the cleaning is easy and safe.

About the local library, there used to be one just beside the apartment houses' complex before. Now the one of the new town seems farther away. Anyway it's a good idea and I think I'll check it out if the community library would be willing to accept used books, once I pick the books to be freed. Or I could look for a second hand book dealer myself.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Bit late in congratulating you on the move to a new place, hope you'll excuse me :oops: .

It's great to hear you've finally moved into the house and it's very convenient to live so near a subway station! Glad to hear your books survived storage too. By now hopefully you'll be a bit more settled and rested from the move :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Thank you Emma. You have nothing to be excused. :)
Now I feel more at home. The first week was tough. But now it looks quite a bit like a home. It's also very near to my sister in law's whose children my wife is caring while her sister goes to work. My girl is brought up with her cousin. Better than being grown alone.

I have not yet contacted any book dealer or local library. But sooner or later I will get a couple of boxes of books. A studious internet friend had passed away a couple of months ago. And part of his stock of books are given to me by his brother. He wanted the books to be cared by people who shared his interests. And I have to make a room for the books. My wife will not get annoyed by the additional space to be occupied only, but especially by the increased burden of moving.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

That's so cool that your girl gets to spend so much time with her cousin. How old is her cousin?

I'd love for my baby to interact more with other babies her age, unfortunately I don't know any at the moment.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

mariek wrote:That's so cool that your girl gets to spend so much time with her cousin. How old is her cousin?

I'd love for my baby to interact more with other babies her age, unfortunately I don't know any at the moment.
The boys are 11 and 6. My doughter behaves with some kind of personal respect with the older one. But with the younger one she takes as one of her age. Maybe because he still has some trace of baby-like manner, or because he likes to immitate my daughter's behaviors like crying and baby-talks.

I think the interaction with people of various ages and lieknesses must be very important for her personal development. She used to burst into cry when she saw a new face, especially old men. But the frequent contacts with her cousins made her more tolerant than before.

I hope you find a good friend of your baby. But if she's not the age for a kindergarten yet, I think contacts with just many kind of people would do. Cares from grown up people seems more important for toddlers, though I may be wrong.

Good luck!