New Pharr group looking for members.

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

This post was deleted by Diane.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Diane wrote: Yes it definitely would. I can get real intense about Flash.
Maybe I'm a lucky guy; I don't even know what Flash is! Unless it is the same as pop-ups?
Diane wrote: What I need now is to know if I can use Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows 98 SE in GTSS. The information Paul sent says Windows 2000 with Firefox 1.0.4 but that may just be that he never thought about it with Windows 98 SE. The Mozilla web site says 1.0.4 will work with 98SE.
I have used Firefox with windows 98. It worked fine. I don't know if it was version 1.0.4 though.
Diane wrote: I understand DOS 3.3 but never got any sort of grip on Windows.
I hear ye. My kids still get a kick out of it when I say something like that about windows 3.1.

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Diane,

If your narrative refers to trying out GTSS, then please note:

a. GTSS will likely work with Firefox 1.0.4 under Win98. It's simply a configuration that I never tested.

b. there is no explicit logout from GTSS. Simply close the window.

Please let me know if you have other questions or problems.

Cordially,

Paul

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

Dear moderator: Is it too late to join this group? I am tutoring Homeric Greek (a little) & would love to improve my proficiency. Also interacting with other people would be nice! Please advise. Thank you! Paige (CanadianGirl).

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Right now we are at the limit we have decided on but judging by the past study groups we will probably lose on or two participants in the first two months or so.
If you don't mind doing the exercises but not receive any comments on them, then you could log onto the GTSS program as quest to look at the questions and comments etc of the paricipants.
In the event that we lose a member, you could then take that one's place.
We'll see what Chad, Paul and Will think of this.

BTW, where are you from in Ontario?

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

Bert: Hi-thanks for the info. I am very eager to take part, if possible. I've become very interested in Homer latetly & would love to increase my proficiency, for personal reasons & to teach. I live just outside Ottawa. Commute to Ottawa, Montreal, & sometimes Toronto to work, shop, & party. Paige (CanadianGirl).

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

CanadianGirl wrote:Dear moderator: Is it too late to join this group? I am tutoring Homeric Greek (a little) & would love to improve my proficiency. Also interacting with other people would be nice! Please advise. Thank you! Paige (CanadianGirl).
Hi Paige,

Please check your private messages at Textkit.

Cordially,

Paul

andrei
Textkit Neophyte

Just noticed that a new pharr group has begun

Post by andrei »

You said that you would send me email when a new group would begin. :(

Can I still join? I did the first chapters on my own a few years ago and I have a year of Latin. I'm sure that I can catch up. :)

Thanks

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Just noticed that a new pharr group has begun

Post by Bert »

andrei wrote: You said that you would send me email when a new group would begin. :(
Do we know you under a different name perhaps? Who said that who would send you an email?
andrei wrote: Can I still join? I did the first chapters on my own a few years ago and I have a year of Latin. I'm sure that I can catch up. :)
We have lost a member (or maybe two) so there is room. We are happy to have you join.
If you fill in the subscription info on this page; http://textkit.com/mailman/listinfo/pharr-c_textkit.com the process should get started.
You also have to become familiar with the program that we use.
You can find what's involved in these documents; http://www.greekgeek.org/gtss.pdf or http://www.greekgeek.org/gtss.doc
If after reading this information you still have questions about it, please ask Paul the creator of this program at; privmsg.php?mode=post&u=277

Hope to hear from you soon.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Just noticed that a new pharr group has begun

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:
andrei wrote: You said that you would send me email when a new group would begin. :(
Do we know you under a different name perhaps? Who said that who would send you an email?
That was me. People send email to the groups email asking about when the next Pharr group is. I have a list of interested people, but I don't mail them until the forum regulars get a chance to sign up first. This time, pharr-c filled up before I could email the list.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Richard Hunt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Richard Hunt »

Have any more vacancies opened up in the list? If they have, how far
have you got so far? I have only done the first 4 exercises, but I have
plenty of time just now to catch up. :)

Richard

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Hi Richard. I don't know if you are still around.
Seeing that you have kept up on your own it should be fine.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Richard Hunt wrote:Have any more vacancies opened up in the list? If they have, how far
Richard
Hi Richard,

I have added you to the GTSS (our study group software) system for the pharr-c group.

Please check you private messages at textkit to retrieve your login tokens and some info about documentation.

Cordially,

Paul

eliliang
Textkit Neophyte

Post by eliliang »

Paul wrote:
Richard Hunt wrote:Have any more vacancies opened up in the list? If they have, how far
Richard
Hi Richard,

I have added you to the GTSS (our study group software) system for the pharr-c group.

Please check you private messages at textkit to retrieve your login tokens and some info about documentation.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul,

I'd also be interested in joining the study group if it is not too late.

Eli

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

eliliang wrote:I'd also be interested in joining the study group if it is not too late.

Hi Eli,

I e-mailed Bert and Chad about your request. They are the 'guides' for the pharr-c group.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

eliliang wrote:

Eli
Hi Eli. We have no problem with you joining but you will have to decide if it is practical.
What I mean is this; If this is your first go at Greek, I think you are going to face an uphill battle trying to catch up.
It is possible of course, to just go at your own speed, but then you lose some of the benefits of being part of a group. One of the main benefits is probably the structure. It helps you to stay motivated.
If you have done some Greek before, or even better, if you have done some Homeric Greek before you might not have a whole lot of trouble catching up.
Please send me an e-mail to let me know what you think.

eliliang
Textkit Neophyte

Post by eliliang »

Bert wrote:
eliliang wrote:

Eli
Hi Eli. We have no problem with you joining but you will have to decide if it is practical.
What I mean is this; If this is your first go at Greek, I think you are going to face an uphill battle trying to catch up.
It is possible of course, to just go at your own speed, but then you lose some of the benefits of being part of a group. One of the main benefits is probably the structure. It helps you to stay motivated.
If you have done some Greek before, or even better, if you have done some Homeric Greek before you might not have a whole lot of trouble catching up.
Please send me an e-mail to let me know what you think.
I'd be happy to try to catch up. It might take me a weekend or two.