Raya Returneth

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Raya
Textkit Fan

Raya Returneth

Post by Raya »

Something today (chatting with Geoff kai Will Texkitwn, methinks) inspired me to pick up my Greek again - and before long I found myself back here! We'll see how long it lasts though, seeing that my current arrangement has me:
1. at work most of the day
2. sharing a computer with someone who is as much of a computer addict as I am (i.e. I don't really get to use it unless he isn't around. Right now I have a chance since he's asleep!)

So, I'm in the US for the summer: presently in TN, although I look to be heading to NJ and Chicago before going back to Canada. Being here is quite an experience, I have to say! I don't think I've ever felt so much at home yet simultaneously so much the foreigner...

Anyway, for however long I may end up staying: it's good to be back! :D

. . .
Apologies to those of you here who don't already know me (which, I suppose, would be most of you :oops:) for the lack of Things Explained in this post.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Wow!

That's quite a story. Last we checked in with each other, you were still on Greek. Incredible you made it to the States! I'm in the US for the summer too. :-D I studied abroad in Florence last semester and will again this Fall.

You actually came to mind just a few days ago; I was curious what happened to you and how you were. Ask and ye shall receive! I'm glad you're well, and I hope you're enjoying ... everything! :) Vale!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Glad to see you again, Raya!
I'm a little dumbfound because I was imagining you playing in the Women of Troy. A nice surprise.

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Raya Returneth

Post by mariek »

Raya wrote:2. sharing a computer with someone who is as much of a computer addict as I am (i.e. I don't really get to use it unless he isn't around. Right now I have a chance since he's asleep!)
Good to see you back!!!

While I don't have this problem, I can relate since we have one computer with the really nice monitor, and I only get to use it when hubby is not using that computer. So that's been seldom lately since he just started a computer game...

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

My husband uses 2 or 3 computers for his computer game...fortunately, we're both geeks, I've got my own computer & laptop. I share mine with the kids, though. They're geeklets.

Ingrid

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Welcome back, Greek away. My study has slipped the last few months and its amazing how much ground you can lose.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

ingrid70 wrote:My husband uses 2 or 3 computers for his computer game...fortunately, we're both geeks, I've got my own computer & laptop. I share mine with the kids, though. They're geeklets.
What? The kids don't get their own computers? :lol: I keep telling hubby that we'll need to get a standalone computer for our little girl by the time she turns 2. Don't want her playing on our computers.

We actually have another flat panel that we haven't hooked up yet; it's still in the box because we have no space to set it up. I'm mainly on my laptop... not really ideal for games, although I did have The Sims installed on it for a brief period.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

mariek wrote: What? The kids don't get their own computers? :lol: I keep telling hubby that we'll need to get a standalone computer for our little girl by the time she turns 2. Don't want her playing on our computers.
We allow the kids 45 minutes a day on the computer, otherwise they'd be glued to it all day. The eldest does protest: daddy can stay on the computer as long as he wants too! Erm...that's the prerogative of daddies :).
But they've got their own usernames and profiles, to keep them from my stuff :). By the way, they're 4 and 6 years old.

Ingrid

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Anyway, for however long I may end up staying: it's good to be back!
You'd better stay this time!!!
:lol: :wink:
Good to see you here again :)
Geoff wrote:Welcome back, Greek away. My study has slipped the last few months and its amazing how much ground you can lose.
I know JUST what you mean... wasn't I supposed to be translating the Odyssey? But during exams I wasn't able to keep up and in the last few months I've been trying to catch up and that was not very motivating, lol, so ended up not even translating 15 lines a week :? (and I wanted to send them all off when I caught up, but that's not going to happen :( , maybe I should just make a 'fresh start' on book 2...)

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!
Emma_85 wrote:You'd better stay this time!!!
I'll try!
(He's asleep again, so carpe diem is the word! :wink:)
mingshey wrote:I'm a little dumbfound because I was imagining you playing in the Women of Troy.
Yes, I had indeed performed in a production of Euripides' Trojan Women. Am I glad the show is over!
Lucus Eques wrote:Incredible you made it to the States!
Ah, but the circumstances of my being here are - well, dramatic! I'm surprised I actually got here and I'll be all the more surprised if things work out well in the end. (Although, being me, I won't see the matter to have ended until it starts working out well...)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Raya wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!
Emma_85 wrote:You'd better stay this time!!!
I'll try!
(He's asleep again, so carpe villy is the word! :wink:)
:shock: I am shocked!

Well Raya, your situation is not normal to say the least, but it is an adventure to be treasured! Reach for the sky! Or in TN should I say reach for the tractor! Just be grateful that you are neither in poverty nor where I currently reside - rather uneventful it must be said. Probably why I had the time to upload this picture of your lad!

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Episcopus wrote:(He's asleep again, so carpe villy is the word!)
You clearly don't know my lad... :wink:
Episcopus wrote:Just be grateful that you are neither in poverty nor where I currently reside
I'm not sure about the poverty part. To be fair, I'm not starving on the streets, but my money situation did become tight enough that I've had to get a job here. The fact that I'm not staying in TN very long and that I can't get anywhere beyond walking distance severely limited my options - so I'm working at the Taco Bell across the street. Not the nicest of jobs, but it's an experience! No such thing as a calm day there. And when I get to NJ/NYC, I'll have to be working there too, although hopefully I'll manage something more pleasant...
Episcopus wrote:Probably why I had the time to upload this picture
It's not tractors, but lawnmowers that people here seem to take such pride in. I mean I've heard of people modifying cars to get cool effects, but lawnmower mods? :shock:

And yes, I am coming across some of the most delightful (mis)uses of English out here! I would transcribe them, but for the most part the obscenity filters would work against me...

~EDIT~
I realise on reflection that in the last two paragraphs I may seem to be disdainfully looking down on people here. Nothing of the sort intended; quite simply, I am a foreigner discovering the idiosyncrasies of the locale.
Last edited by Raya on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

Where in Tennessee are you...I am in Northeast Tennessee.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Rhuiden wrote:Where in Tennessee are you...I am in Northeast Tennessee.
Near Knoxville... for the next few weeks anyway!
I did however spend some time visiting people who live in the mountains, near a national park called Fall Creek Falls (I think).

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

I am about 1.5 hours (or 100 miles) east of knoxville. How do you like tennessee. There are many, many people living in that area. It is much more beautiful in my area. Hopefully your will get to visit other areas in the state.

Rhuiden

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Rhuiden wrote:I am about 1.5 hours (or 100 miles) east of knoxville. How do you like tennessee. There are many, many people living in that area. It is much more beautiful in my area. Hopefully your will get to visit other areas in the state.
I'm having a fairly good time here! I was rather culture-clashed when I first arrived, but now I'm more used to things and know much better what to expect of people and what they expect of me. It's also much nicer now that I actually know people in the area (apart from the fellow I'm staying with).

In terms of nature, the place is beautiful. I suppose it's all built-up where I'm staying now, but the weekend in the mountains was definitely a treat! Sadly it doesn't look like I'll manage to get to explore more of the state before I leave though...

But what's it like where you are?

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

I live in a small town (population approximately 5500). It is in valley surrounded by mountain ridges. It is beautiful and very rural. About half the land here is owned by the federal government. There is a river that runs through the valley and many streams coming down off the mountains. There is abundant wildlife here...it is not uncommon to see a deer or a bear in town (especially after a hard winter).

Most of the people who live here are very nice. It is a place where you can get to know your neighbors. People look out for each other (mostly). It was a great place to grow up and is a great place to live.

Knoxville is too big for my taste although I do enjoy going to watch the University of Tennessee football games.

Rhuiden

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Rhuiden wrote:I live in a small town (population approximately 5500). It is in valley surrounded by mountain ridges. It is beautiful and very rural. About half the land here is owned by the federal government. There is a river that runs through the valley and many streams coming down off the mountains. There is abundant wildlife here...it is not uncommon to see a deer or a bear in town (especially after a hard winter).

Most of the people who live here are very nice. It is a place where you can get to know your neighbors. People look out for each other (mostly). It was a great place to grow up and is a great place to live.

Knoxville is too big for my taste although I do enjoy going to watch the University of Tennessee football games.

Rhuiden
Rhuiden,
I very envy you! I live in a overcrowded area (at least for me) even it is supposed to be a rural area. The wildest animals I meet are the bats living under my roof! Let us have a picture of your countryside.

Raya,
Since I am pretty new in this forum, may I ask where you come from? You talk about a culture shock, so I assume you aren't American.

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Suddenly I see the same old names. Are you really still all here? Has time not sullied your interests. I got a wierd automatic email to look at an old thread and thought I'd see who was around. Raya? Episcopus? Mariek? What are you all doing these days? I start to feel very old...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Where have you been son! Here? Same old same old, nothing really changes.

What is the reason for your absence?

Time has decomposed my interest in latin however greek goes well, as do insane open board posts.

You were here before me and mariek ripped the latin forum apart :P