I am starting to learn Greek

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
elys
Textkit Neophyte

I am starting to learn Greek

Post by elys »

:)<br /><br />Hello<br /><br />Can anyone recommand L.A. Wilding: Greek for Beginners?<br /><br />Andrew

Raya
Textkit Fan

Re:I am starting to learn Greek

Post by Raya »

Hmm... can't say I'm familiar with that one, I'm afraid... but you'd be more likely to get a response from someone who *does* know by posting this in the 'Learning Greek' forum.<br /><br />Apart from that, welcome to Textkit! ;)

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Reviews on Wilding's G4B.

Post by Elucubrator »

Hi Andrew, I dug up these reviews for you at amazon.<br /><br /><br />Wilding's Greek for Beginners<br />by Cynthia Shelmerdine <br /><br /><br />*   Average Customer Review: Based on 2 reviews. (4 out of 5 stars)<br /><br /><br /><br /> (4 out of 5 stars) Fine Introduction, October 14, 2000 <br />   Reviewer: A reader from Saskatoon, Canada Contrary to the listing here, this book is still in print (re-printed fall 1999), but you have to go to British sources for it (Blackwell's I think). I like the way this book gets into the language fast and doesn't hit the student with complex forms off the top. I also don't mind the way Wilding refers back to another book for grammatical forms, as this trains the student to work with grammar books, a very useful skill. I do wish it covered the 'mi' verbs, but I can do this near the course end anyway. --This text refers to the Paperback edition. <br /><br /><br /><br />  <br /><br />(4 out of 5 stars) A great little book..., June 11, 2000 <br />   Reviewer: Chris Robinson (see more about me) from Cambridge, MA for the teaching and learning of ancient Greek. Unfortunately it only covers the bare bones of the language, referring, as it does, to the less good Abbott and Mansfield "Primer of Greek Grammar". This book should not be allowed to go out of print, since it achieves its goal far better than almost any other work, with the exception of Chase and Phillips' "New Introduction to Greek". --This text refers to the Paperback edition. <br />____________________________________<br /><br /><br />My suggestion would still be to download White's first Greek book on the textkit learn Greek and learn Latin pages. It's free. and I am going to start writing an answer key for it to post on the site. ;)<br /><br />good luck,<br />and welcome to textkit.<br /><br />Sebastian<br /><br />PD. I am so pleased whenever somebody new wants to learn Greek. It is hard work, but it is such a beautiful adventure. And among friends with whom you can share the experience it is really a fun and meaningful way to spend your time. Keep coming back to us with any questions you have while you are working on the language. What a beautiful language!!!! We want more people to learn Greek. <br /><br />Working to Save Greek and Latin from extinction!! ;-)<br /><br />-S.

elys
Textkit Neophyte

Re:I am starting to learn Greek

Post by elys »

Sebastian<br /><br />Thanks for your reply.<br /><br /><br />Andrew